• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1980's side cap

I may have enlisted whilst Pontius was still taking flying lessons, and my dementia kicks in every so often but I am sure that back in the 1980's you could privately purchase a side cap. This could opnly be worn on stations where it was approved. What was the name of this cap - or do i need to book myself in to a room with padded wallpaper and pyjamas which tie up at the back?

TARDE85

LAC
I think you are talking about a Forage Cap. A private purchase item, as were Stable belts and short sleeve shirts.

Climebear

Flight Sergeant
Commonly known as the forage cap, it is actually the field service cap. From AP1358:

b. Field Service Cap. The field service cap, which is an optional extra at own expense, is worn tilted to the right so that that front edge is approximately 25mm above the eyebrows and the side edge is approximately 12mm above the right ear. The material is blue/grey worsted barathea of standard styling for wg cdrs and below; for gp capts and air officers the cap is piped in Minerva blue. Officers of 2* rank and above only may elect to wear the FSC with combat dress.

br9mp81

Corporal
field service cap my arse,its a chip bag hat! its ture worth was that it showed you was daft enough to waste beer money on one and thus avoid them.

Gonterseed

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
field service cap my arse,its a chip bag hat! its ture worth was that it showed you was daft enough to waste beer money on one and thus avoid them.

When I arrived at Locking in the 70's the wardrobe I was allocated had a chip-bag in the top box and it fitted a treat. I could only guess why the previous owner left it behind but it did tend to attract an occasional slagging off for wasting beer chits.

br9mp81

Corporal
When I arrived at Locking in the 70's the wardrobe I was allocated had a chip-bag in the top box and it fitted a treat. I could only guess why the previous owner left it behind but it did tend to attract an occasional slagging off for wasting beer chits.
yep like them that coughed out on a stable belt to wear with dpm,now getting shoes missile painted was just spot on!

timaloy

Corporal
I was giftedone of the new stable belts with the buckle (raf regtstyle) before you start the name calling it was made to an exact specification as the guy who gave it to me actually made the ****ers. The buckle was nice and shiney with the words "royle ayr farce" (exactspelling) round it. I woreit on guard training and the OC of the GDT section had a fit. I passed it on when a left think it's still in the eod t bar

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
Wore a chip bag for a long time and I never even assumed that it had to be approved by anyone and I never dreamed to ask. It fitted better into side pockets than a beret would, in my opinion - and that's all that counted.

he_who_dares_rodney

Flight Sergeant
I always thought those who wore them (didn't look right on me so never did)never quite managed to get the style of the original erks.
Balancing between ear and top of head at almost suicidal angle in all weathers.
I assume the half a pot of Brylcream helped them back in the day.
Better than just plonked on head

Kiwistacker

Clinically Insane
We have to wear them here in the RNZAF. I tried to get the beret introduced as a cost saving measure, the army and navy berets costing $22 while the RNZAF chip hat, which doesn't even unbutton and open up like a proper one costs $45. The WRAF hat is the same as the RAF WRAF hat from the 80's and costs even more! My suggestion went right up to the WOAF and CAF but was rejected on the grounds that we (the RNZAF) would lose our identity and it was against our "tradition". So we still look like a 1950's air force and they look camper than a row of tents when worn with DPMs.

G

Gord

As an ex Brat, I always wore a beret albeit well trained, except for when I was on parade or jankers or any other time I was expected to wear best blues, ie during our first six months at Halton when we weren't allowed to keep civvies on base and had to wear number 1's when leaving base then of course the SD cap was the rig of the day.

I couldn't hack those people who wore fly-away berets, ie those who simply pulled them down to the rear and right of their heads with the badge slap bang in the middle of their foreheads like some sort of great shiny acne pimple.

A true beret, 'in Brat fashion anyway' had to be smoothed down slightly forward and to the right side of the head, covering the right ear, with the badge over the left eye and slightly tucked beneath a fold in the beret. I had mine so well trained that I could take it off and unless I was tucking it beneath the epaulette on my tunic, it would retain it's shape even if tossed across the barrack room onto my pit.

The trick was to soak the beret in hot/warm water and then mold it while it was on yer noggin to the desired shape and then keep it there until it dried.

Obviously something done in the spring, summer or autumn as walking around with a wet headdress in the winter could prove to be a tad uncomfortable.:biggrin::biggrin:

Last edited:

Obi Wan

Sergeant
We have to wear them here in the RNZAF. I tried to get the beret introduced as a cost saving measure, the army and navy berets costing $22 while the RNZAF chip hat, which doesn't even unbutton and open up like a proper one costs $45. The WRAF hat is the same as the RAF WRAF hat from the 80's and costs even more! My suggestion went right up to the WOAF and CAF but was rejected on the grounds that we (the RNZAF) would lose our identity and it was against our "tradition". So we still look like a 1950's air force and they look camper than a row of tents when worn with DPMs.

Photographic proof please

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
As an ex Brat, I always wore a beret albeit well trained, except for when I was on parade or jankers or any other time I was expected to wear best blues, ie during our first six months at Halton when we weren't allowed to keep civvies on base and had to wear number 1's when leaving base then of course the SD cap was the rig of the day.

I couldn't hack those people who wore fly-away berets, ie those who simply pulled them down to the rear and right of their heads with the badge slap bang in the middle of their foreheads like some sort of great shiny acne pimple.

A true beret, 'in Brat fashion, anyway' had to be smoothed down slightly forward and to the right side of the head, covering the right ear, with the badge over the left eye and slightly tucked beneath a fold in the beret. I had mine so well trained that I could take it off and unless I was tucking it beneath the epaulette on my tunic, it would retain it's shape even if tossed across the barrack room onto my pit.

The trick was to soak the beret in hot/warm water and then mold it while it was on yer noggin to the desired shape and then keep it there until it dried.

Obviously something done in the spring, summer or autumn as walking around with a wet headdress in the winter could prove to be a tad uncomfortable.:biggrin::biggrin:

Nice to hear of someone who also spent a lot of time getting the beret "just right."
We who were at a secret training base in the West Midlands in early 1960 did exactly the same.
I still have one for wear at Remembrance Day Parades and so on. A lot of memories are brought back when wearing it.

terence

Corporal
Nice to hear of someone who also spent a lot of time getting the beret "just right."
We who were at a secret training base in the West Midlands in early 1960 did exactly the same.
I still have one for wear at Remembrance Day Parades and so on. A lot of memories are brought back when wearing it.

Me too complete with brass badge worn smooth with polishing.Always an appo till you die!!!!

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Paid for,with your own money, Chip bag hats used to be a reliable dorkness indicator.

Chip bag only = low humming alarm
Chip bag, stable belt = warning bells ringing
Chip bag, stable belt, clippy cloppy shoes = claxons sounding
Chip bag, stable belt, clippy cloppy shoes and brief case = deafening sirens and avoiding action required.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Paid for,with your own money, Chip bag hats used to be a reliable dorkness indicator.

Chip bag only = low humming alarm
Chip bag, stable belt = warning bells ringing
Chip bag, stable belt, clippy cloppy shoes = claxons sounding
Chip bag, stable belt, clippy cloppy shoes and brief case = deafening sirens and avoiding action required.
Chip bag, stable belt, clippy cloppy shoes, brief case and two slices of raw liver = hasn't got the spine to find a WRAF to relieve his frustrations.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts

Cpl in Odiham used to pull that stunt - always with the derisional cat call of "what's in the bag? Spanners?"