• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1966 Neatishead fire

MAINJAFAD

Warrant Officer
I remember seeing some photos of the carnage.. sooty handprints on doors etc.. might even be at the Radar Museum... if that's still going. http://www.radarmuseum.co.uk/ by the look of things the website closed down about the same time as the ops room...
Oh and if you do visit the musuem. make sure you enjoy ALL of the advertised features... like the "light refreshments and picnic area" or you could do some "role playing" apparently it's actively encouraged!!!

Yes it is still open, and you can role play Scopie if you so wish (1940's to 1993 options available). Role playing JAFAD is however not allowed due to H&S reasons, plus lots of bits are missing. (anybody remember how to set up one of these???? You will have to find working BPS, Timebase, Cyclops O-Scope and NBT racks first, as they don't have them).

Last edited:
Seen the results

Seen the results

Hi all, just joined e-goat.
My first post was to Neatishead in May 1974, just after the R30 became operational. As part of arrival, we had to go into the R3 which was then in much the same state after the fire. We could only stay on the main upper corridor and look into the rooms. Even so, it was easy to see how hot the fire was as the steel beams above our heads were sagging in the middle and what concrete there was was pitted.
I've only seen black & white photos, they only show an inkling of the real horror of what it must have been like for the firemen particularly the next bit.
We went in to the PBX room (1st right on the gallery above the main stairwell) and saw the blood-encrusted handprints of the fireman who died in there. It is thought he was trying to push and pull at the door but forgot that it was a sliding door.
2nd fireman fell in the main stairwell. Can't remember where No 3 was found.
Source of fire was apparently behind the Totes on the floor of the Ops Room - now Lower Ops in the 3 refurbished R3s at Buch, Boul, Neat. What was a supplier doing there?
I went on detachment to Eudem (2ATAF SOC2) in Northern Germany in 1985. This is an another R3 (like most CRCs in N Germany, e.g. Brekendorf, Auenhausen) also with one large Ops Room in original location, but had sprouted another 3 fire exits following Neatishead's fire - one of these went right up the middle.
In 1975, there was another fire in the R3, this time caused by faulty wiring on floodlights while contractors were clearing out the bunker.
It is reckoned that Neat's R3 is the hardest one in existence as the heat of the fire was so great, it fused the concrete on the floor and walls.
Sorry about going on a bit here, but hope it adds to all the above.:pDT_Xtremez_35:

Last edited:

flintwich

Corporal
Fires

Fires

Did anyone else watch Support Command HQ burn down at Brampton.
I remember the NAAFI bop emptying onto the sports field, closely followed by NAAFI staff to collect the glasses. Shortly after everyone disappeared to avoid being stitched for the guard duties that were imminent.

MAINJAFAD

Warrant Officer
Hi all, just joined e-goat.
My first post was to Neatishead in May 1974, just after the R30 became operational. As part of arrival, we had to go into the R3 which was then in much the same state after the fire. We could only stay on the main upper corridor and look into the rooms. Even so, it was easy to see how hot the fire was as the steel beams above our heads were sagging in the middle and what concrete there was was pitted.
I've only seen black & white photos, they only show an inkling of the real horror of what it must have been like for the firemen particularly the next bit.
We went in to the PBX room (1st right on the gallery above the main stairwell) and saw the blood-encrusted handprints of the fireman who died in there. It is thought he was trying to push and pull at the door but forgot that it was a sliding door.
2nd fireman fell in the main stairwell. Can't remember where No 3 was found.
Source of fire was apparently behind the Totes on the floor of the Ops Room - now Lower Ops in the 3 refurbished R3s at Buch, Boul, Neat. What was a supplier doing there?
I went on detachment to Eudem (2ATAF SOC2) in Northern Germany in 1985. This is an another R3 (like most CRCs in N Germany, e.g. Brekendorf, Auenhausen) also with one large Ops Room in original location, but had sprouted another 3 fire exits following Neatishead's fire - one of these went right up the middle.
In 1975, there was another fire in the R3, this time caused by faulty wiring on floodlights while contractors were clearing out the bunker.
It is reckoned that Neat's R3 is the hardest one in existence as the heat of the fire was so great, it fused the concrete on the floor and walls.
Sorry about going on a bit here, but hope it adds to all the above.:pDT_Xtremez_35:

The first fireman to die was Divisional Officer G R Dix, who went into the bunker with two Norwich fireman. After overrunning their 30 minute air supply a team went into to the bunker and managed to get the two Norwich guys out alive, but couldn't find Dix. A rescue team went down and found him at the bottom of PBX stairwell and managed to get him half way up the stairs before their air supply started to run out and they had to retire from the bunker (one of them collapsing in the tunnel to the bungalow. This guy was rescued by the next team to got down along with Dix (who was found to be dead when they got him to hospital). At this point the fireman topside discovered that two of the last rescue team were still missing and a search was started but had to be abandoned due to the intense heat and smoke. At that point it was decided to flood the bunker. The two fireman who's bodies were found in the bunker after it was pumped out were Leading Fireman H J Durrant who was found at the base of the PBX stairwell and Fireman J S Holman who was found in the PBX office. The fire was started in the Technical Stores area, which was located behind the Tote in lower Ops. Hence the reason there was a supplier in the Bunker (though that one that started the fire shouldn't have been, as he didn't have SC clearance, something that was picked up on the unit inquiry).

Thanks Mainjafad. The supplier bit threw me for some time.
As a footnote, there were a total of 11 R3s built for the 1950s Rotor Plan:

Sopley, Christchurch - now in use for document storage by private company
Wartling, Brighton - disused, flooded. See pictures at www.subbrit.org.uk
Ash, Dover - in use as server farm
Bawdsey, Ipswich - vacant, on the market by same company owns Ash
Neatishead, Norwich - vacant, awaiting future
Skendleby, Skegness - privately owned since 1995, appears they added middle floor by removing the false floor and lowering the ceiling of the lower floor - the resulting middle floor is a bit cramped - suitable for those under 5' 8", apparently. Also see later post.
Patrington, Hull - (AKA Holmpton) Bunker Archive Preservation Trust since 2003, now Defence Archives; also museum. See www.defencearchives.org
Seaton Snook, Peterlee - totally flooded, top of mound removed exposing top of bunker
Boulmer, Alnmouth - in RAF use (just)
Anstruther, Fife - museum Scotland’s Secret Bunker; see www.secretbunker.co.uk
Buchan, Peterhead - as Neatishead

Last edited:

firestorm

Warrant Officer
A Divisional Officer going into a fire these days is a rarity, in those days it was almost unheard of. It must have been a nightmare fire.

MAINJAFAD

Warrant Officer
A Divisional Officer going into a fire these days is a rarity, in those days it was almost unheard of. It must have been a nightmare fire.

Would you believe that Dix relived the Chief Fire Officer of Norfolk who was directing the fire fighting effort up to that point from within the bunker (at one point the Chief Fire Officer was actually at the flame front with a hose, along with an Assistant Divisional Officer).

firestorm

Warrant Officer
Would you believe that Dix relived the Chief Fire Officer of Norfolk who was directing the fire fighting effort up to that point from within the bunker (at one point the Chief Fire Officer was actually at the flame front with a hose, along with an Assistant Divisional Officer).

Jeez! No wonder it went wrong.

B

BufferBird

R3 Fire 1960's

R3 Fire 1960's

I met a lady on Mundesley Beach 2 weeks ago who was in the WRAF and actually on duty in the bunker the day the fire was started! How spooky is that?

P

peterd

Neatishead Fire.

Neatishead Fire.

Only info Id heard many years down the line...One fireman had been killed, fell through a gap where the railing should have been. The railing I believe can be removed to allow access for bulky objects. Im sure at Buchan there was a similar arrangement, a lifting device was fastened above the stairwell!!

Only info Id heard many years down the line...One fireman had been killed, fell through a gap where the railing should have been. The railing I believe can be removed to allow access for bulky objects. Im sure at Buchan there was a similar arrangement, a lifting device was fastened above the stairwell!!

Correct, seen these at Buchan, Boulmer, Neatishead and at Eudem. All R3s had (those still in use by military/civil owners still have) this feature. Seems crazy that, if true, this barrier was missing but, was there any lifting operation going on at the time?

N

Northern Circuit

I dont think that the railings were missing, only that they were too low and this resulted in the poor man 'tripping over it'.

If you look at the existing railings you can see how they were modified to make them taller.

yup Northern Circuit you are correct. The railings were way too low. He leant backwards against them and fell down the stair well.

Skendleby's R3

Skendleby's R3

Further info has come to light about this site. The previous owner (bought in 1995) sold the bunker in 2003 to Centrinet - see www.centri.net - who announced on 04 Jun 2007 the launch of Smartbunker, a secure web hosting facility.
Follow Centrinet link or go to www.smartbunker.com

Another bunker is saved :pDT_Xtremez_30:

A

AKBINUSA

Memories of the Fire

Memories of the Fire

I was based at Neat in the late 1970's and I was just wondering what happened to the smoke/soot-covered door with the handprints and finger scrapings that used to hang in a place of pride in the Fire Station?

Does anybody know if it moved to the Museum?

Thanks

Alan

norfolkred1

Sergeant
Been to the Museum on many occaisions but have not seen anything related to the fire, I remember seeing some of the telephone equipment at the Fire Section at Boulmer. If you get the chance to visit you will not be disapointed, Dougie Robb has done a fantastic job with the R30 and has also taken on a lot of the Coltishall Museum artifacts as well.