• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1966 Neatishead fire

Hi guys 'n' gals.
Does anyone have any information about the Neatishead fire back in '66?
Any information would be gratefully appreciated.

Cheers

T

The Masked Geek

Yeah, it was hot.:pDT_Xtremez_30:

Now go and introduce yourself.

P

pie sandwich

everyone stood around toasting marshmellows, singing burn baby burn

SirSaltyHelmet

Thoroughly Nice Chap
Did Millions of pounds worth of improvements apparently.. According to someone that was there, you know a friend of a friends brothers sisters dog

mad_collie

The Other Mods Made Me Do It
Did Millions of pounds worth of improvements apparently.. According to someone that was there, you know a friend of a friends brothers sisters dog

I didn't start it FFS!

It was already going when I got there. I've got witnesses and everything.

B

Biggles.

Isnt it normal to go along to the intorductions bit and put a post there before you start asking questions in the goat. Mind been a scopie and at Bmr i thought asking questions in the old folks home would get some answers. They used to have the press cuttings on one of the walls there with all the details.

Isnt it normal to go along to the intorductions bit and put a post there before you start asking questions in the goat.
I didn't realise i had to introduce myself first....then again i'm not that normal. I can confirm though that i am not a cactus be it yellow or any other colour, it is simply my chosem nickname.

thank you for all your in depth help with the neat fire :pDT_Xtremez_35:

Warmest regards

mad_collie

The Other Mods Made Me Do It
I didn't realise i had to introduce myself first....then again i'm not that normal. I can confirm though that i am not a cactus be it yellow or any other colour, it is simply my chosem nickname.

thank you for all your in depth help with the neat fire :pDT_Xtremez_35:

Warmest regards

Go to www.google.co.uk and type 'Neatishead fire'.

B

Biggles.

I didn't start it FFS!

It was already going when I got there. I've got witnesses and everything.

Think your best hope is that Oh Sir is the investigator. Share some drink with him, you'll be ok. Just hope he dont think your an american pit bull. can always hide a file inside a nice marrow bone for you if you get time.

MAINJAFAD

Warrant Officer
Read the board of investigation file on the Neatishead R3 fire at the National Archives at Kew just before Xmas, made interesting reading as the incident was a Cluster Fcuk from start to finish. 3 firemen were killed (two died in the bunker and the third in hospital after he was dragged out). Fire was started by an LAC Supplier by the name of Cheeseman who got a 7 year sentence for Arson in Norwich Crown Court later in 1966.

Cheers MAINJAFAD. To be honest i've allready found out a great deal. The major part missing was the name of the LAC.

Cluster Fcuk sums it all up. Many mistakes were made, and lessons learnt. Quiet a few changes were made after the incident.

Once I finish my little project i'll try to get it on the tinternet for all to see.

Cheers

MAINJAFAD

Warrant Officer
Cheers MAINJAFAD. To be honest i've allready found out a great deal. The major part missing was the name of the LAC.

Cluster Fcuk sums it all up. Many mistakes were made, and lessons learnt. Quiet a few changes were made after the incident.

Once I finish my little project i'll try to get it on the tinternet for all to see.

Cheers

The full story of the incident including copies of the Fire Brigade Logs, plus photos of the damage done to the R3 can be found in file AIR 16/1476 (Proceedings of board inquiry into underground fire at RAF Neatishead) at the National Archives at Kew.

lisab

Girlie Brosette Mod - I owe you nothing...oooh ah!
Bit too young to remember that but I do remember the night Roys of Wroxham(quite near Neatishead) was on fire I was on nights in the exchange at Colt our firemen nearly wet their pants when civvy fire brigade asked them to help out!

SpoonZ

LAC
I remember seeing some photos of the carnage.. sooty handprints on doors etc.. might even be at the Radar Museum... if that's still going. http://www.radarmuseum.co.uk/ by the look of things the website closed down about the same time as the ops room...
Oh and if you do visit the musuem. make sure you enjoy ALL of the advertised features... like the "light refreshments and picnic area" or you could do some "role playing" apparently it's actively encouraged!!!

Last edited:
Thanks again MAINJAFAD.
SpoonZ, i have copys of around 9 of the 20+ photographs taken in the R3 including the photo with the hand prints.

I've been in touch with the radarmuseum Norfolk Fire service who have been very helpfull.

firestorm

Warrant Officer
Bit too young to remember that but I do remember the night Roys of Wroxham(quite near Neatishead) was on fire I was on nights in the exchange at Colt our firemen nearly wet their pants when civvy fire brigade asked them to help out!

Bless!
Well i suppose one fire in a career is very exiting!:pDT_Xtremez_17: