• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Yellow Card Sin Bin???

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Is this a good idea?

Would it improve players and managers discipline?

I'm all for it in Footy as I see it improving discipline within the Players. I await your thoughts and replies.

Dave-exfairy

Warrant Officer
Only one thing might improve player discipline, hit them where it hurst, in the wage packet.
Football has a helluva lot to learn from rugby in the discipline stakes. We respect the Ref, we call him sir and we respect his decisions, we don't crowd round him like a bunch of petulant 5 year olds, he's made his mind up and won't change it.
Football discipline has to improve, but sadly I don't think it will.

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
Only one thing might improve player discipline, hit them where it hurst, in the wage packet.
Football has a helluva lot to learn from rugby in the discipline stakes. We respect the Ref, we call him sir and we respect his decisions, we don't crowd round him like a bunch of petulant 5 year olds, he's made his mind up and won't change it.
Football discipline has to improve, but sadly I don't think it will.

Seen the piccy in the papers this morning of that ankle ?
Sin Bin or what!
:pDT_Xtremez_32:

fat lazy techie

Flight Sergeant
I think footy should have adopted the rugby model years ago. How many Man U, Arsenal and Chelski players (to name just a few) would have been binned?

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
Football could learn a lot from Rugby discipline wise, but seems to lack the will to do it.
Players crowding the referee and failing to withdraw 10 yards at free kicks are two of my pet hates. Sin binning or yellow carding the offenders would better than fining because it affects the whole squad; lose a player or two through indiscipline at a crucial part of the game or season and the pressure to behave will have to come from the manager team mates. Sadly, the game as a whole lacks the collective bottle to deal with the issues because it means tackling the behaviour of players who hold 'superstar' status.

Humble Scribe

Sergeant
Can't see this being a serious idea for many reasons. Firstly, there's such a difference in the gravity of a yellow card; you could have a player binned for taking his shirt off after scoring & another for a synical tackle that leaves a player injured but didn't warrant a red. Also, there'd be far too much time wasting after a team had 1 or even 2 players binned which would slow down the game even more. At least in Rugby, the sin bin is tied into the ref's watch and I couldn't see that happening with football. Additionally, some ref's hand out cards for fun and you could have teams down to 8 or 9 players for a period of time which also wouldn't be good for the game and can you imagine the argueing if a player was or wasn't sin binned? Doesn't bare thinking about!

Personally, I'd like to see the introduction of Video replays for important decisions. Take Birmingham's penalty yesterday; looked a stone-waller first glance but on replay it was actually a good tackle that cost Arsenal 2 points. Things like that wouldn't take long to review and at least the correct decision would be made (mostly!). It works for Rugby & Cricket so why not football?

I Also agree with Splitbrain; Football has a lot to learn from the discipline of Rugby and until they do the game will be a far lesser spectacle than it should be.