• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

XV179 Ten Years On

Ten years ago today the Royal Air Force and Royal Signals lost great men to enemy action over Baghdad. For the families and those of us who are privileged to call them friends they remain in our thoughts daily and will be remembered forever.

Rest in Peace men your duty is done

Jimps

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I remember the shock of being told what had happened. I was on a Flightline somewhere as a civvy and I couldn't believe it. My heart sank completely.

Then came the speculation, the theories and the hope that folk had survived. It wasn't to be but it was clear that the war had hit the RAF in a way that we did not expect.

We had already lost a Tornado and crew who were shot down by a Patriot missile but the loss of a transport aircraft was something else.

It brought home to everyone that not only the pointy things were at war, but the rest of the "forgotten" RAF were at war as well.

I won't forget this day and neither will I forget the day that we lost the Nimrod XV 230 in 2006.

It was one thing being shocked in 2005 with XV179, but, In 2006, I remember breaking tears and saying to the Mrs, "No, please, not again".

Back to 179, I had the pleasure of working on the aircraft and at the time, it made everything personal. Especially because an acquaintance was on board this aircraft.

10 years have passed and wow, how the RAF has changed.

What cannot be changed is the loss of some fine people.

I hope the spirit of the Royal Air Force will go on forever and that our fellow airmen are remembered and not lost in vain.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I dug this out the other day. I was on the same IOT as Paddy Marshall, and one weekend we all tootled off to do some canal conservation, with inevitable results..... a very young Paddy
paddy.jpeg

Last edited: