• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wobbly

Joined in 1987 completed trade training (L tech AF.... Gods Trade) at sunny Locking... posted to GRF Honington, then onto GRF(H) Gutersloh went on a holiday to the gulf attached to 230 sqn.. back to Gutersloh and then onto Laarbruch.. when we became GRDS.. Posted to TCW November 94..stayed there until December 05. Enjoyed the job and visited lots of places normally in the sunny gulf.... (had a stint in Goose bay about 96/97 ish) and now moved onto Sunny waddington where i have been assimulated into TG4 CIS tech...and awaiting some equipment and aircraft to start my new employment...

A

auchtermuchty

Well then firstly it would appear that not too many previous post and i coincide - that can only be a good thing. Although theladf and I were on the same Sqn together (not that I know who you are unless you happen to be a tractor boy!)

So joined Sep90 as a DE DF

did Leuchars from Sep 92 until Oct 97 mostly in the bay. Moved to 14 for 2 years and 4 days at Bruggen. Then headed to St Athan for a further 3 years, where i got promoted and demoted in the same week! Spent a Glorious 22 months on 22Sqn at Wattisham before they promoted me for real and shipped me off to Marham. Where as a result of some moving around I now have the pleasure of sharing an office with the angry Plumber ( although not as much as he used to be apparently!)

Anyone think they know me then drop me a line - I am a lot mellower than i used to be! ( unless you get the poker dice out in the rugby club):pDT_Xtremez_28:

Stax

Flight Sergeant
As a regular, best I get in on this.

Sunny Swinderby 1977, Cosford (failed APOP), Retread to Hereford (5 women to every bloke aaaaaah!)

1st Tour: The V Bomber station on the A15.
2nd Tour; 7MU, CDA Duties, living at the home of PMA.
'84, promoted and sent to the home of the Grd Comms Trades at WSM.
'87, Sent to Lincolnshire to see out the Phantom and bring in the Tonka.
'94, Popped off to the RAFSEE on promotion. (lived in)
'96, Got back to the Tonka's.
'01, Rapier in Suffolk (lived in)
'03, Rapier in Lincolnshire, promoted in 04 and stuck on the ASTOR IPT.
'05, back to get rid of the Tonkas and bring in the Typhoon.

OOA's in MPA, Bosnia and the Gulf. Best tour?, Rapier, both of them, wierd eh! Joined up with 2 CSE's, now a member of two professional bodies, C&G and ILM. Enjoy my life, same wife for 25 years now, 2 great kids and when I wake up and think "I dont like this anymore" I will go off and drive an ambulance for the RSPCA. Rabid Goater 'cos I like the banter and the fact we can argue about one thing and agree about something else. As I said in "Reasons to be proud" , We, that is all service personnel, are good at what we do.

sumps

Sergeant
- Joined Nov 86 (APM 101 - i'll tell'em wobbly!) then went to May 87 Wattisham engine bay (J79’s).
- Then took a trip to 2 (AC)Sqn in Aug 88. Soon got back to Halton in Jan 90 on APF119.
- After that went to Lyneham first on the primary teams then on shift.
- In Feb96 went to 12 (B) Sqn in Lossie’,
- Then back to Lyneham on the Js Apr 99 (well on minors for 6 months until one turned up - 3 years late) - then on to the mighty C-130J. Firstly on shift then planning now instructing.
- Want to go to the Power Generation Group (Engine - RR or Health).

A myriad of OOA’s but not as many as stax (who appears to be showing off!) (stax do you list to your left with all your madals?)

GOOD THREAD WOBBERS!!!!!!!

Last edited:

I look like Bruce Willis

I Suck Like George Michael
1980 I joined the RAF, my outstanding abilities, and ATC experience meant that I was selected as senior man, I excelled in this position, even though the other childish members of the Flight, often attacked me, both verbally and physically, often when I was asleep. I would feel the thud of soap wrapped in a towel. However this did not concern me, as the DI's highly respected my ATC experience. I went on to graduate as best recruit.

Arriving at Halton for my Apprentice course, I was soon singled out, moved to single room for my own safety. It appalled me that there were people who were cheating in the exams, so it was my duty to report them. Fortunately they were removed from the course, and this earned me the respect of the instructors and peers alike. I was soon selected to be the goat handler, and it was due to my amazing organizational skill that this honour was bestowed upon me, the other apprentices thought this was a worthless chore, but I endured their juvenile drivel, because I realized their importance in the application of Air Power. I am proud to say that LEWIS (the goat) was sharper and better turned out than the majority of my fellow apprentices.

1983 left Halton and was selected for the Red Arrows at Scampton, My mother was so proud. Realising my technical expertise I was the only one trusted to be left in the hanger alone to polish all the aircraft, when the rest of the shift were at the bar. Obviously I was promoted on time in 1984, and found GST 1 to be the best course I have ever been on, But I was disgusted at the attitude and appearance of many of man fellow students, I stayed in at night to study and prep my uniform, they went to the pub.

1985 saw me posted to The Queens Flight where I found other people with the same standards and outlook as me, although I only spent 4 years on TQF it was my proudest moments and I still wear My TQF tie to Mess functions.

1989 to RAF Marham on promotion to Sgt where I was employed in the QA section, I enjoyed this posting, going around all the section on camp and trying to raise their standards to mine, In my time at Marham i raised the largest number of NCRs ever raised at an operational airbase, I was proud to be doing my bit for the application of airpower. The Gulf war came along and I was supposed to deploy with 27 Sqn to Saudi but unfortunately due to a stress attack I was downgraded and not able to go, still I was able to do my bit for the War by impounding all their tools kits before they deployed as they were not etched correctly iaw AP100B-01; thereby prevent a serious QA incident in an operational theatre. not only did they almost let their Sqn down but also the whole of the Coalition Forces.

1992 I was specially selected to run the LITS development team, this fantastic system, has made everyone’s life in the RAF easier, and is a true projection of air power. I asked to be removed from this job, after being punched in the face by a Rects controller from Lossi, who obviously did not embrace this new and wonderful technology.

1994 I returned to my spiritual home, that of Trechards finest, RAF Halton, where I was employed in the airman command school instructing GST1 students. I am proud to say that my students had the highest failure and suicide rate. This ensured that people only worthy of the rank of Cpl got through.

1996 promotion to C/T and a posting to 1 S of TT, Instructing airframe FT student. Can you credit it one long in the tooth SAC called me Chief, I explained to him that the rank was Chief Technician and I would be addressed by that. My post was in BET and I am proud to say that only the best got their test piece passed, the slightest deviation above or below 0.02MM on their FTJ was an instant RTU.
Strangely, I had few friends at Halton other than Norman who worked as a Civil Servant in stationary stores, well he was my friend until he too took a restraining order out on me and I was not allowed within 500m of him. This happened after one night I invited him into the Sgts Mess for a drink and after a wonderful night in there i gave him a friendly peck on the lips. He totally misunderstood the situation and I, As a highly regarded SNCo was asked by the CMC to leave the Mess. He also added " no f*****g hommos in here you weirdo" and again I was punched in the face. I was horrified by his attitude, given the RAF's EO policy.

2001 posted to Odiham. When Op TELIC started I was getting ready to deploy, when unfortunately a nasty cold made me unfit to fly for 3 months. The FS then approached me and asked if I would like to move to the QA cell, Although his words were something to the effect of " you complete c**t get the f**k off my Sqn and never darken my door again" Obviously I reported him for this, and for the assault that took place shortly after, and I was horrified to discover that he has recently been made a Sgt again.Around this time I was surprised to read in the RAF news(which I subscribe to) that my Halton apprentice entry had had a 20 year reunion, I never received my invite, and can only assume that the poor quality postage system at Odiham is to blame. In the QA cell at Odiham, I managed to charge 6 So called NCO technicians on 18 sqn, who were carrying illegal tools in the form of gerbers and leathermans, as they prepared to embark to Iraq. My swift action in dealing with this potential loose article hazard, in a combat zone, probably changed the course of the war, However OC 18 Sqn instead of applauding me for adhering to regulations IAW the JAP; arranged a posting to me to the LEAN implementation team at High Wycombe; also he punched me in the face.

2002 at the LEAN implementation team I was instrumental in bringing into service, many of the lean improvements that have made a massive improvements in the application of air power at placed diverse as Lyneham, Wittering and Marham. These improvements have done much to improve moral in the air force, however, strangely, the technical world are so resistant to change that they are not embracing these vast improvements as they should. For example when I visited the 'Pulse' line at Cottesmore I was surprised to be punched in the face when I said this was all my idea.

2005 saw me posted to the Pavilions at Wyton, I would love a posting to Cosford to work as a Modern Apprentice Co-Coordinator, as I feel I have a lot to offer in maintaining standards in the modern RAF.However, under the terms of one of my restraining orders I am not allowed to work with young people or women.

M

MyShineyAr$e

A brief history of me....

A brief history of me....

You will all be glad to know that this will not drag on like "I Look Like Bruce Willis'"

May 98 - Attest in to the Royal Air Force and arrive at Halton for recruit trg then trade trg at SECTS.

Nov 98 - Posted to RAF Cosford as young LAC into PSF. Do 4 years including nice 4 monther to Ali Al Salem (which inluded a weeks R&R in Bahrain in a 5 star hotel)

Apr 02 - Posted to Cyprus Joint Police Unit in Episkopi as the unit tea b1tch. Working with the Police is suprisingly enjoyable. By far the best tour of my short career.

Apr 04 - Posted to Stafford PSF picking up my Cpl in Jul 04.

May 06 - Posted to DCAE Cosford as a Discip on closure of Stafford.

budgie

The new Dirk Diggler
Sep 92 Joined as AV Mech Mech
June 93 Arrived 33 Sqn RAF Odiham don't remember any Jock Rocks.
Feb 96 Turned up 3 Sqn RAF Laarbruch, chuffin brill that was!
May 97 FT course, got re-coursed.
Nov 98 Got to Marham and have been in the bay ever since.
Aug 06 Promoted at last to CPL and off to Lossie, great!

E

enginesuck

May 97 Joined as Sootie mech

Mar 98 Arrived at TTTE Raf Cottesmore

Jun 98 Sent to 25 sqn Raf Leeming

Aug 98 Got found not guilty and sent back to TTTE at Cott :pDT_Xtremez_34:

Mar 99 TTTE Disbanded so posted to IV (ac) still at Cott

Jan 00 Fitters Course ETP 57

Nov 00 Posted to Prop Flight Leuchars

Mar 01 got Bored of being a bay gay and exchanged to N.L.S Raf Kinloss where i remain to this day.:pDT_Xtremez_28:

Last edited:

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Aug 87 joined as an AATC ( Oh those halcyon days!)

Nov 87 Posted to Wyton (Inc 14 Days RSDR during tour)

Jan 90 Posted to Brize

Aug 90 - Jul 91 Back to back dets of Hamburg and the sandbox

Feb-Sep 92 Belize

Sep 92- Aug 96 back to Brize

Aug 96 - Aug 04 St Athan

Aug 04 - Lyneham

(Right now in Kandahar dodging rockets)

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Oct 83 Joined
83-86 2 School of TT
86-91 6FTS
91-92 1417 flt
92-95 33 Sqn
95-96 SLF
96-00 14 Sqn
00-04 14 Sqn
04-07 RAFAT
07-Now ISK

Numerous places round the world on det. Within 1 continent of my life ambition of being drunk on every continent, at her Majesty's expense.:pDT_Xtremez_30:

Last edited:

MattBombHead

Sergeant
Ay'up

Ay'up

July 96 - Joined
May 97 - Waddo Small Arms
Nov 97- 17(F) Sqn (Bruggen)
Mar 99 - 17(F) Disbanded
Apr 99 - 31 Sqn (Bruggen)
Apr 00 - 11(F) Sqn (Leeming)
Dec 00 - AT Course (WTF Cosford)
Sep 01 - Bomb Dump at Leeming
Feb - May 03 Op TELIC - Al Udied
Jan 04 - Small Arms at Henlow
Apr 06 Promoted to Cpl and posted to Marham Role Bay

Also include numerous OOA Dets at random intervals :pDT_Xtremez_42:

M

maninthevan

Jan 88 - Joined Her Maje's finest as AATC (proper TG9!!)
Feb 88 - Realised my mistake
Mar 88 - Honington Ops
Sep 90 - 13 Sqn
Dec 90 - 18(B) Gutersloh BEST CAMP IN RAF
Feb 93 - 18(B) Laarbruch NOT BAD!! (approx dates)
Nov 93 - ATC Leeming
Apr 95 - 2GP Rheindahlen OKish
Apr 96 - ATC Bruggen SECOND ONLY TO GUT (Promotion)
May 98 - 27 Sqn Odiham (Asked for Jockland)
Dec 00 - ATC Coltishall
Apr 06 - Valley (BUGGER!!) (Promotion)

Jan 10 - Out and off to NZ..... See you all there no doubt!!!

T

Twinkle

Twinkle takes a deep breath...

I am a civvy, friends in Army, partner in RAF. Work for Local Government.

Be gentle with me please!;) ;)

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Okay, joined up Nov 88 as L Mech AR
Aug 89 Nimrod Line Kinloss
Sep 90 18 Sqn (A)
Sep 92 Radar Bay Wyton...yuk
Jan 94 Av Fitters course
Aug 95 2nd Line, Kinloss
Dec 03 Kinloss to the present day.

Looking to move south next year.

Goaty

Corporal
Joined up in Mar '89 as an A Mech W (AWM 199)
Nov '89 to Jul '92 - Lossie Bomb Dump....
Jul '92 to Jul 95 - Bruggen Bomb Dump (best 3 years ever ever)
Jul '95 to Apr '96 - 5131(BD) Sqn at Wittering - If you've got a hole, if it needs digging....
Apr '96 to Mar '97 FT course (ETW 14)
Mar '97 to Feb '03 - 27 Sqn Odiham. One of the first Armourers to be actually posted onto and belong to a Chinook Sqn.
Feb '03 to Dec '04 - EOD Cell at Marham on promotion - 2 years of blowing stuff up....
Dec '04 to Dec '05 - 18(B) Sqn Odiham - A return to tents and digging in not booking in.
Dec '05 to now - WTC (part of AEF) Odiham - Somebody decided it would be a good idea to boot all the Armourers of the Sqns. - Well you're loss not ours

More Ops/Dets in my last 9 years than I can remember.....

Boarderlyne

Sergeant
Another tuppence thrown in.

1991 Swinderby and Hereford for walking straight and staggering sideways. Then to Uxbridge for 1st tour.

Then to Bouncy Castle for 4 yrs. Followed that with 3 yrs of Scopie hell in the wilds of Jock-land. (I was happy, as it was my first back home tour).

Left there with those funny V's on my shoulders to currently play Drs and Nurses at that secret base in Wilts! :pDT_Xtremez_21: Now looking forward to 3 yrs in Eppy.

Well, potted history

Joined Aug 83 as L Tech AR
Went to Cosford and discovered women and snakebite
Left Cosford as L Mech AR in Apr 84 to Kinloss - C Shift, NLS (in the days when there was only 1 line!)
Fitters course 87 - 88 and then for some reason got posted to........ Cosford TMEC!!
Did that for 9 months then got conned by Chas Davis to exchange to STCAAME at Valley - Quote "Loads of time on the line here, none of that bay crap!" Gullible idiot I was and took him up on the exchange!
Stayed at STCAAME until Jan 96 then 14 Sqn at Bruggen. Ex missus threatened to divorce me if I stayed on sqn so got exchange to ASF. Good move (apart from missus didn't divorce me! That came later)
Back to Cosford in 99 as instructor down on the airfield(14 years a cpl - long story involving a RAF copper, a hangar party and the station commander!)
Feb 04 back to 1st line with II(AC) at Marham as singly fairy snec. Didn't stay single again too long, got myself a new young lady after about a year! Won't say too much about her though, great girl, but dad's a VERY senior Rock and would kill me without breaking his stride!!! Still there now but looking for a civvy job.

Last edited:
T

TheEvilDiesel

Ok, here goes.....

Not serving (and never have).

Been a VRT Officer sinc '88 and was pointed this way by several serving friends.

Now running a Squadron somewhere near the former secret Shropshire Recruit Training base.

Been to many stations on camp and have the utmost respect and admiration for all those who serve.

Keep up the good work.

G

gemarriott

Strictly cold war warrior out before the wars started.

Served my time on Phantoms and Buccs, with 2 short stints in missile city finished as Cpl on 228 at Coningsby where it all really began in 1973

Was A mech W trained at Saint Athens, fitters course at Halton. On the last weapons course to pass out of both camps in a weird coincindence.

Here strictly for the humour and nostalgia because I don't understand all the admin crap and peronnel stuff any more. Looking at the way you lot are getting sh!t on by the politicians for the first time since getting out I am glad.

DeeBee

LAC
Hi folks, newly registered Goater.
Joined 1970 as Air Photo Op
1970 Swinderby
1970 Wyton (awaiting Air Phot Course)
1970-71 Cosford Air Phot Course
1970-72 RIPF & 39 Sqn Wyton
1972 Cosford Photo-G Course
1973-74 Wyton Photo Sect.
1974-76 St Athan Photo Sect.
1976-77 Laarbruch Photo Sect. (Short toured on promotion)
1977-82 Valley Photo Sect.
1982-84 HQRAFG Command PR (Short toured on promotion - again!)
1984-86 Northolt No1AIDU
1986-89 Gibraltar Photo Sect.
1989-93 Instructor at JSOP, Cosford
1993-96 On leaving RAF, worked introducing NVQ's into the Photographic Industry
1996 Boarded as Professional Photographic Officer in MOD, based at Saint Athan ever since, as a Flt Cdr on Eng Sqn.