• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

wisdom teeth

N

nickc847

What happens when i start my training and the dentists find out i need my wisdom teeth out. Will i get back-classed? Thrown out?

Weebl

Flight Sergeant
What happens when i start my training and the dentists find out i need my wisdom teeth out. Will i get back-classed? Thrown out?

No. When you go to the dentist, if they decide your wisdom teeth need removing, they will remove them.

Dentists are funny like that.

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
Just shows the mentality of our new recruits.....god help the RAF

Crack on................:pDT_Xtremez_09:

W

waafia

Get them taken out before they get kicked out at your first Bop night!

N

nickc847

OK I know what that question looked like. There is a huge waiting list for my local dentist so it looks like my wisdom teeth are staying in for now. I was just wondering how it would be dealt with when i start training.

CodeMonkey

Flight Sergeant
OK I know what that question looked like. There is a huge waiting list for my local dentist so it looks like my wisdom teeth are staying in for now. I was just wondering how it would be dealt with when i start training.

Well mine were removed last year at Peterborough MDHU(part of the hospital).

Unless they are causing you major problems they would probably leave them in until your first unit i would imagine.

B

bluem&m's

Your wisdom teeth

Your wisdom teeth

Have you to date ever experienced any symptoms with your wisdom teeth? It's perfectly possible to have impacted but symptom-free wisdom teeth and they don't need to be removed. You just need to be very good keeping them clean so no food tracks under the flap of gum (this is always why people get infections around wisdom teeth). The only other (rarer) reason for taking them out is if you have not been flossing between the wisdom tooth and the one in front, and you start to get a cavity at the back of the one in front. Then the wisdom tooth should definitely be removed because you will always have a food trap issue here.
If you start to get an inkling of something changing in the region (gum over the wisdom tooth starts feeling tender/swollen) then you need to start brushing REALLY thoroughly, preferably with a special brush (single tuft, super small head, marketed as interdental brushes) to clean out whatever crap went under the gum flap. You need to do this after every time you eat, and stuff some anti-bacterial into the area (eg. dip the tip of the brush in Listerine/TCP/Corsodyl/Peroxyl). If you do this religiously and accurately your problem will be gone by the next day.
Can't tell you about what the RAF dentists would do about it yet as I haven't started yet, but if you can follow my instructions, you shouldn't need to cross that bridge. It definitely does work; I have learnt how to deal with my own impacted wisdom teeth over the years and I am definitely keeping them in my head.

N

nickc847

Have you to date ever experienced any symptoms with your wisdom teeth? It's perfectly possible to have impacted but symptom-free wisdom teeth and they don't need to be removed. You just need to be very good keeping them clean so no food tracks under the flap of gum (this is always why people get infections around wisdom teeth). The only other (rarer) reason for taking them out is if you have not been flossing between the wisdom tooth and the one in front, and you start to get a cavity at the back of the one in front. Then the wisdom tooth should definitely be removed because you will always have a food trap issue here.
If you start to get an inkling of something changing in the region (gum over the wisdom tooth starts feeling tender/swollen) then you need to start brushing REALLY thoroughly, preferably with a special brush (single tuft, super small head, marketed as interdental brushes) to clean out whatever crap went under the gum flap. You need to do this after every time you eat, and stuff some anti-bacterial into the area (eg. dip the tip of the brush in Listerine/TCP/Corsodyl/Peroxyl). If you do this religiously and accurately your problem will be gone by the next day.
Can't tell you about what the RAF dentists would do about it yet as I haven't started yet, but if you can follow my instructions, you shouldn't need to cross that bridge. It definitely does work; I have learnt how to deal with my own impacted wisdom teeth over the years and I am definitely keeping them in my head.

That is the exact problem i have! The wisdom tooth on the right hand side on the top row of my teeth I find so difficult to brush. It's impossible to clean properly because of the awkward angle. I have problems with food getting trapped here and find it so difficult to clean properly. They need to be sorted quickly so I dont get any infections! What are these special brushes you talk about and where can I find them? I have no problems with pain or gum soreness so if I can keep my teeth that would be grand!

Rikster

Sergeant
They never took mine out at all, if they are not a problem you will probably find they will give them a damn good leaving alone.

L

Lights

They took mine out because they just wouldn't come through and I was just constantly teething.

They also had to take the teeth in front out though because the roots had fused together

B

bluem&m's

Toothbrush

Toothbrush

An example of the sort of brush you need can be seen on the following website:
www.dentocare.co.uk
Go to interspace brushes and click on dent-o-care 403
You don't have to get it from there but at least now you'll know what to look for in Boots/Tesco. The brush needs to be as firm as possible - soft ones are useless because they flex too much.
For upper wisdom teeth, you need to get the brush in your mouth and then practically close your mouth and then swing your lower jaw to the side your tooth brush is at. You will find the cheek then relaxes and you will have plenty of space to work all around the tooth.
For lower wisdom teeth, the much smaller head of the interspace brush will mean you can get round no problem.
Now, this rule applies to all brushing: the bristles need to contact the junction between gum and tooth to stop from getting gum infections. The bristles therefore need to be angled towards the gum at about 45 degrees to the tooth and you need to use a tight vibrating action - the aim is to clean as far as the gum will let you. To begin with, you might get bleeding. This is a sign that the gum is not healthy, but that you have finally got to the right spot (after days/weeks of missing it). So work it there and you will find by the next day, the 'awareness' of it and the bleeding will have gone. Incidentally, you should still be trying to floss between them because the brush can only go so far in between and won't get out any really tightly wedged in food.
When you next see the dentist, bring your toothbrush along, ask them to check you are doing it right, and get them to give you a floss demo. They can't/won't refuse. We are all keen on prevention. Means less work for us ;)

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I remember the days when wisdom teeth were as frowned upon as a pregnant WRAF. It really was a case of "Oh you've wisdom teeth they'll be coming out then."...lol:pDT_Xtremez_14:

Last edited:
B

bluem&m's

barbaric practices in Scotland

barbaric practices in Scotland

Didn't use to be a million years ago when a woman was considered 'un-marry-able' in Scotland if she still had all her teeth - the thinking was that this would cost her potential husband too much money in dental care in the future. So a 21st birthday present might be a clearance and full dentures.

N

nickc847

An example of the sort of brush you need can be seen on the following website:
www.dentocare.co.uk
Go to interspace brushes and click on dent-o-care 403
You don't have to get it from there but at least now you'll know what to look for in Boots/Tesco. The brush needs to be as firm as possible - soft ones are useless because they flex too much.
For upper wisdom teeth, you need to get the brush in your mouth and then practically close your mouth and then swing your lower jaw to the side your tooth brush is at. You will find the cheek then relaxes and you will have plenty of space to work all around the tooth.
For lower wisdom teeth, the much smaller head of the interspace brush will mean you can get round no problem.
Now, this rule applies to all brushing: the bristles need to contact the junction between gum and tooth to stop from getting gum infections. The bristles therefore need to be angled towards the gum at about 45 degrees to the tooth and you need to use a tight vibrating action - the aim is to clean as far as the gum will let you. To begin with, you might get bleeding. This is a sign that the gum is not healthy, but that you have finally got to the right spot (after days/weeks of missing it). So work it there and you will find by the next day, the 'awareness' of it and the bleeding will have gone. Incidentally, you should still be trying to floss between them because the brush can only go so far in between and won't get out any really tightly wedged in food.
When you next see the dentist, bring your toothbrush along, ask them to check you are doing it right, and get them to give you a floss demo. They can't/won't refuse. We are all keen on prevention. Means less work for us ;)

Thanks so much for your help. Maybe my wisdom teeth will survive after all? I'll keep you updated. Thanks again.

S

shoutingwind

come out to afgan- my wisdom teeth have been giving me gyp and teh dentists out here are awesome.....

N

nickc847

So my tooth is not getting any better. Infact its pretty sore now and i think it's the start of an infection so its going to have to come out. Not happy. Can i be put under anesthetic for this procedure?

Weebl

Flight Sergeant
So my tooth is not getting any better. Infact its pretty sore now and i think it's the start of an infection so its going to have to come out. Not happy. Can i be put under anesthetic for this procedure?

Yes, but that will make you a puff and all the other Rocks will find out and point and laugh.

Seriously, what is the issue? you have a sore tooth, go to the dentist and get them to sort it?

N

nickc847

Yes, but that will make you a puff and all the other Rocks will find out and point and laugh.

Seriously, what is the issue? you have a sore tooth, go to the dentist and get them to sort it?

The problem is mate I don't have a dentist and the waiting list is over 6 months and my wisdom teeth are getting worse by the day. You're obviously not a dentist so if you've nothing helpfull to say keep it shut.

lisab

Girlie Brosette Mod - I owe you nothing...oooh ah!
Is there a dental school near you? My dad cannot get registered with a NHS dentist so he goes to the dental school and gets treatment for nothing!