• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Win 10 - Impressions?

Malesu

Corporal
Subscriber
Just upgraded from Win 7 on my two computers (desktop (10 home) & a laptop (10 pro) ) without any major fuss... One issue with laptop not liking Skype and webcam , due to knackered graphics card that can only work in vga driver mode. And a few reinstalled games on my desktop.

Any one have any other issues that people might need to know, or tips for that matter?

Ps. If anyone else is messing about in World of Warships, give me a shout on 'Malesu370', though my father also uses the same account (good for getting experience points). Looks really nice in 4k btw ☺

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I downloaded it yesterday from the Microsoft site as the structured roll out could take weeks. If you use the option for multiple machines it also has a single machine option. I haven't had chance to test it properly yet but it seems better than 8 straight away.

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
I downloaded it yesterday from the Microsoft site as the structured roll out could take weeks. If you use the option for multiple machines it also has a single machine option. I haven't had chance to test it properly yet but it seems better than 8 straight away.

Windows 3.1 was better than 8....:pDT_Xtremez_31:

Amazed that no Apple or Linux fanbois haven't chipped in yet :pDT_Xtremez_15:

Last edited:

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
If you do skip the 'Waiting in line' process and go and download it anyway, make suure you use the proper Windows site. There are already a few miscreants out there using this as a way to load your computer with malware. The sneaky ****s.

iainrm

Corporal
preview

preview

got it a few weeks ago and looks ok
only problem I've had is the narrator coming on unexpectedly and been difficult to shut up and i did not marry it.

ScoobTech

Sergeant
As I don't believe you get something for nothing, I'm waiting for the bombshell of how much it will cost for a year in the future. As it looks like all of M$ products will go to a subscription model.

Malesu

Corporal
Subscriber
Can't complain... My Win 7 Ultimate 32 was a very good iffy version, so quite happy to get the free legit upgrade to 10 Pro 64. Will eventually do a full format & clean install on both systems and swap the versions over.

Digzster

Sergeant
As I don't believe you get something for nothing, I'm waiting for the bombshell of how much it will cost for a year in the future. As it looks like all of M$ products will go to a subscription model.

I am also a firm believer of this and await the next "Gates-ism" feature to be announced. Back in the 90's, making his OS copyable was a master stroke pulling most of the PC business into MSoft clutches. Why now with all the software protections available in today's age is he giving a free upgrade to the latest version (even if your copy is unregistered)?

There will be tears at bedtime coming up methinks..........

Entropy

Sergeant
All the big vendors are going over to a subscription model for licencing. MS already do it with O365. They have also said that this is the last version release of their OS and everything onward will be incremental releases every 18 months or so which is a part of the subscription model.

It does look like that they may be thinking of going to a subscription model as they have suffered over the last few years with version adoption, XP was very popular and everyone only really moved to Win 7 due to end of support for XP, then no significant take up of Win 8.

A move to subscription for their business editions should help them to flatten that revenue spike. Also with Linux based OS's starting to make inroads into the business place I think that they would need to be careful in how they do this and look to the Red Hat model.

I dont know what they will do for home users as i can see them easily losing users if they try to charge too much. Most subscriptions charge 80% PA of the cost of the full version but if MS tried to charge £80 PA to use an OS, then I would see hoards dropping them straight away (I have already moved to Ubuntu so they won't be getting any of my money)

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Can't see subscription for any OS coming in any time soon, the OS market is very competitive driven by the mobile world, MS were dominant and apart from the odd apple or Linux user they had no issues, then came along the smartphone.

Anyway, the OS brings in business from apps and buy in to an OS ecosystem, Microsoft would be making the biggest mistake ever if they start charging for the OS.

I walked past an Apple store today that was packed, next to a Microsoft store that had a few tumbleweeds rolling around.

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Just upgraded from Win 7 on my two computers (desktop (10 home) & a laptop (10 pro) ) without any major fuss... One issue with laptop not liking Skype and webcam , due to knackered graphics card that can only work in vga driver mode. And a few reinstalled games on my desktop.

Any one have any other issues that people might need to know, or tips for that matter?

Ps. If anyone else is messing about in World of Warships, give me a shout on 'Malesu370', though my father also uses the same account (good for getting experience points). Looks really nice in 4k btw ☺

I'll drop you an invite next time I'm online, been playing World of Warships since Closed Beta.

MP

Gnasher

LAC
Everything seemed good apart from my outlook 2013 stopped sending emails (it would initially still receive them) and then stopped sending and receiving (I felt like I was at work and my inbox was too full lol)!

The fix was...

Search on "cmd" and when the command prompt appears on the list, right click and select "Run as administrator". When you have the command prompt up, type "sfc /scannow" - it'll take 5 minutes or so to run but it fixed mine straight away.

Apart from missing Internet Explorer, it's all good (or better than windows 7/8)!!

icarus

LAC
I'm not to computer savvy so may I ask a few questions?

Firstly how do I ascertain which version of Windows I'm currently running with?
My laptop is a Dell which I purchased six years ago, the only game I play is Flight SimX and it still manages a great experience with all the graphics jacked up to max whilst still providing a very good frame rate. Would have to re-install this game alongside all other disk related and internet downloaded features that I've added over the years.

Many thanks.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Many thanks, seems I'm running Windows 7 Home premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit operating system.

If I were to now install Windows 10 would I need to re-install all the various programmes I've downloaded alongside all the numerous disks ets?

I wouldn't know. I'm still running windows xp which does me.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Download and run >> Belarc Advisor <<

It will tell you everything you need to know about your PC and the components that are fitted.

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
Many thanks, seems I'm running Windows 7 Home premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit operating system.

If I were to now install Windows 10 would I need to re-install all the various programmes I've downloaded alongside all the numerous disks ets?

No mate. Windows 10 will install itself over 7 leaving all your installed stuff intact. Your start menu will look a bit messy if you've got li
oads of stuff installed because the win 10 menu looks different to win 7.

Last edited: