• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

WiFi in Afghanistan?

Hi all,

Just a quick one, I've received dates for deployment...

I'm thinking of of getting myself an 11.6inch laptop so I can watch movies whilst i'm there (don't fancy taking my massive expensive laptop).

So... do you get internet access out there? So i can email/skype home? If I took my ipod touch, could I facetime?

Thanks all,

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Plenty of wifi, but not enough bandwidth for skype, so email only...

T

Tubby

Pay for the dutch internet (green cable in your room) and skype is fine. It is $90 per month but it allows you to skype. Cheaper option is to buy minutes for the wifi at heroes. You can skype there and you only need to pay for an hour or so at a time but your misses cant get her rat out with out an audiance there.

Cheers all, i did think of getting myself an iPad 2 but I want something to put all my films on. There is a cracking deal on an 11.6inch notepad Sony Vaio E11. £350 with 500GB HDD and 4GB RAM. It'll keep my many films and give me the freedom to surf net/email. The only thing swaying me for an ipad would have been the FaceTime but if bandwidth isn't enough then I think there might be no point :)

Also, when using internet email (yahoo, google etc) don't forget to switch to using their mobile versions (addresses usually start with a "m.").

This'll save amount of data usage as you logon to them as images loaded onto their normal email service can use up a signifcant amount of you data allowance.

Brilliant, thanks for the tip.

Is there a way to monitor the useage when you're out there. Or are you just presented with a "data limit exceeded" sort of thing?

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
Brilliant, thanks for the tip.

Is there a way to monitor the useage when you're out there. Or are you just presented with a "data limit exceeded" sort of thing?

If you're coming to KAF dont buy fook all. Get yourself to the Yank BX when you get here you can pick up an iPad for £100 less than in the UK. Buy the internet for your room which has an ethernet cable which you can plug into a router and use wifi in your room or like said already can use the same wifi at the heros area. The wifi isnt strong enough in the accom hence the ethernet cables. The wifi works out to be about £57 a month so just over a days Op Al/LSA if your me and worth it as I skype home for ages to see my lad.... and you can easily get skype onto an iPad.

FootTapper

Sergeant
What the bird said ^

The green cable in the room gives a decent quality connection for Skype etc, the welfare wifi and wifi at heroes is pretty much only good for email and surfing the net.

Okay, so I can buy an iPad when I'm out there?

So just so I get this right. The standard WiFi is only good enough for email and surfing the net. If I pay approx £57/month I'll get use of the "green cable" which is the fast internet out there?

Climebear

Flight Sergeant
Whereabouts are you going to be deployed in Afghanistan?

The details given by RAF Bird are spot on for KAF.

Bastion has free WiFi-light which, as Downsizer mentioned, is designed for simple messaging but does not have enough bandwidth for Skype etc. I understand that there is now a commercial provider that can provide better bandwidth at a cost.

The sites in Kabul vary enormously. The ISAF site I was on last time has free broadband in the accn (it wasn't the quickest but it was good enough to Skype) whereas my friends in neighbouring ISAF sites had to pay for theirs. I'm not sure what the deal is in SOUTER or the other UK sites in Kabul. My guess is that it will be roughly the same as Bastion. If I remember, I'll be able to confirm this later in the year.

If you want to get the best free wifi in theatre get yourself to one of the Patrol Bases in TFH.

As for iPads. Find a PX/BX and you'll be able to pick one up comparatively cheaply. Supply can be patchy and don't forget that 3G is a no-no out there.

Last edited:

FootTapper

Sergeant
If I pay approx £57/month I'll get use of the "green cable" which is the fast internet out there?

Now I'm not suggesting you do this.... But I've heard of someone else who did it once:

The green cables are pretty long, so if you and your room-mate (especially if room-mate is on opposite shift) split the cost of the green cable between you then you can just share it.

Cheers,I'll be somewhere in Kabul (still waiting to find out).But for approx £60 a month (assuming they have it up there), it is only 2 days op allowance, 12 days op allowance over the 6 months...£360 less for the missus to spend, and probably the only £360 I'll get to spend of it, haha!

Climebear

Flight Sergeant
Another thing to consider is any downtime. If you are on a UK provided service then it will probably be turned off during Op MINIMISE.

Thanks for the advice everyone.Once I find out where in Kabul it is, I'll be able to look in further detail. (I think we get briefed up on the facilities and everything before we go).To save me making a separate thread, what happens with accommodation costs? I've heard I won't pay CILOCT whilst I'm away, is that the case?

Climebear

Flight Sergeant
If your a singly in the block/SSSA then Accn charges and CILOCT stop for your deployment.

For those in SFA/SSFA, Accn charges and CILOCT continue although an element of CILOCT is refunded at the end.

For those on private Accn, if they don't get a council tax rebate from their council they can get the same deal as those on SFA/SSFA at the end of their tour.

Last edited:
T

Tubby

Just clear up what someone has said about "sharing" the green cable. You can use any cable or dutch wifi spot as its the log on details you need to share rather than the cable. Some of our lot bring a router with them to share the connection between rooms.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Just clear up what someone has said about "sharing" the green cable. You can use any cable or dutch wifi spot as its the log on details you need to share rather than the cable. Some of our lot bring a router with them to share the connection between rooms.

So if I was to bring my spare netgear router, I could beam out a wifi signal in the room so that the others could also use it? If so, does that slow the speed down? Can only one person use the log-in at once?

I'm off to kaf next year and would happily pay this for a reliable connection that supports skype and watching live footy etc.