• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

why doesn't anybody rate the Raf regiment?

and straight off the press after the defence review......para's and marine units will merge to form a new one......Rocks are here to stay !!!!

If its true...which i very much doubt......it aint going to work....or they will stay in seperate battalions like the royal regiment of Scotland.

And even if it did happen then they would be the big one!!:pDT_Xtremez_42:

Last edited:

Joe_90

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Another unsubstantiated quote. Find us the BFBS clip and I'll believe you otherwise your "brothers" opinion can be consigned to the bin containing all the other "I once met a bloke who had a mate who's brother was living in a room next to a guy who's sister was married to a bloke who overheard another fella say he saw an RAF Regt Gunner 100m away across a vehicle park in the 'stan say that "the RAF Regiment are part of the big three".

As for fat blokes, every arm and service has them unfortunately.

Touchy aren't we? I believe what my brother said he heard, because for me it isn't a case of fourth hand info, you on the other hand are quite right to treat it with suspicion as this is just an internet forum. Unfortunately until recently the RAF Regiment had more than it's fair share of idiots who delighted in thinking they were better than the rest of the RAF without understanding what those people did. With recent ops a lot of those clowns have either left or gained a greater understanding of the bigger picture about what guins actually do, unfortunately the legacy they have left behind will continue for a few years yet until that arrogance is forgotten about. I haven't met a Rock yet who was a better electrician than me but I don't crow about it, but I had to endure years of the tits telling me they were better soldiers than I am and that because their trade training was different to mine I am somehow a worse airman for it. They should have been better soldiers than me, they were trained to be.

For the record when it comes to the current RAF I respect what you guys do and I'd much rather you were doing it than the pongos, but you did have more than your fair share of mugs for a long time who did nothing but alienate the rest of the military. Do you really think with the arrogance some of them had that at least one of them didn't compare himself to the "Big Three" at one point? Remember the kind of nob that would say that wouldn't have the moral courage to admit it now, I don't think I would.

br9mp81

Corporal
and straight off the press after the defence review......para's and marine units will merge to form a new one......Rocks are here to stay !!!!

till uk departs the stan,thats when the real **** will kick in for everyone,that said something somewhere in the world will kick off,just by then the 1st serco foot and mouth regt will have to go and do the job and charge hmg 3times as much.

C

Combet Sheep

I agree with the earlier statement that Rocks make better soldiers than me.

But then I never wanted to be a soldier......

Vagabond

Sergeant
Touchy aren't we? I believe what my brother said he heard, because for me it isn't a case of fourth hand info, you on the other hand are quite right to treat it with suspicion as this is just an internet forum. Unfortunately until recently the RAF Regiment had more than it's fair share of idiots who delighted in thinking they were better than the rest of the RAF without understanding what those people did. With recent ops a lot of those clowns have either left or gained a greater understanding of the bigger picture about what guins actually do, unfortunately the legacy they have left behind will continue for a few years yet until that arrogance is forgotten about. I haven't met a Rock yet who was a better electrician than me but I don't crow about it, but I had to endure years of the tits telling me they were better soldiers than I am and that because their trade training was different to mine I am somehow a worse airman for it. They should have been better soldiers than me, they were trained to be.

For the record when it comes to the current RAF I respect what you guys do and I'd much rather you were doing it than the pongos, but you did have more than your fair share of mugs for a long time who did nothing but alienate the rest of the military. Do you really think with the arrogance some of them had that at least one of them didn't compare himself to the "Big Three" at one point? Remember the kind of nob that would say that wouldn't have the moral courage to admit it now, I don't think I would.

I was in the Regiment for nine years mate and never heard it said once. Not even in jest. We did think we were better than the "line infantry army" and we probably were. Everyone knew and still knows the Paras and Marines were and are good troopers, some of the best in the world.

Having said that, when I was on 1sqn in the mid-late nineties, we could of competed with the best of them. I cannot comment on the current skills base of the Raf Regt as I've been out to long. I suspect its good.

We did alienate ourselves from the rest of the Airforce, thats what happens when you work on Sqn's and have regimental pride. I'm sure flying Sqn's do it aswell. That doesn't make us "clowns".

I was in the Regiment for nine years mate and never heard it said once. Not even in jest. We did think we were better than the "line infantry army" and we probably were. Everyone knew and still knows the Paras and Marines were and are good troopers, some of the best in the world.

Having said that, when I was on 1sqn in the mid-late nineties, we could of competed with the best of them. I cannot comment on the current skills base of the Raf Regt as I've been out to long. I suspect its good.

We did alienate ourselves from the rest of the Airforce, thats what happens when you work on Sqn's and have regimental pride. I'm sure flying Sqn's do it aswell. That doesn't make us "clowns".

Good post mate,thats pretty much how i remember the rocks 1980 to89.
As good if not better than any line regiment.

As i remember it it was more the rock WOs and SNCOs fear of scruffy undisciplined techies contaminating the more army like regime you guys worked under that sometimes came over as arrogance to some.

You were never clowns in my eyes.

Never heard this big 3 sh!t when i was in but hearing it quite a bit now

Last edited:

GD on Wheels

Sergeant
I signed up as rock but had to remuster, hence I am MT on my profile. This may sound a bit biased but all the Reg guys I met during my time were a great bunch, much more switched on than any pongo and took me under their wing when I was at ST's as a young AC and had a good laugh.

Vagabond

Sergeant
I signed up as rock but had to remuster, hence I am MT on my profile. This may sound a bit biased but all the Reg guys I met during my time were a great bunch, much more switched on than any pongo and took me under their wing when I was at ST's as a young AC and had a good laugh.

Thats because we're part of the "big 3"

bojangles

LAC
Bottom line is when nasty chaps try and ruin your day when on ops, most RAF tradesmen are happy to have rockapes take care of business.

It is their "business" after all.

Sorry if a rock on GDT upset you but that's life.

As for the big three issue .... never heard it myself.

GD on Wheels

Sergeant
I Remember a visiting driver at Brampton was having a cupper in the crewroom when two rocks popped in on their way to Molesworth. Young LAC driver nearly had a heart attack. They were at Swinderby on the GDT section and gave him a hard time. Poor lamb they had great fun reminding him.