• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which Bar for One More Pint?

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Over the years all of us have had a bar/club that we loved somewhere in the world... Which one would you love to go back to for a pint?

For me it would first be the Clipper Bar in Irish Town, Gibraltar. I spent a lot of time in Gib when on Nims so I had a lot of time to refine my bar choices. It was just up-market enough that the Matlows didn't go in and trash it on shore leave, was in the trendy and lively Irish Town just off Main Street and the bar maids put out so it was a double bonus.

Secondly I think a beer in the Green Parrot in Key West. It's the first bar outside the Truman Annexe and it didn't close until 0300'ish. This meant that you started and finished there on a night out. A true Key West shit-hole bar where just about anything could happen when you visited.

Last edited:

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Sounds familiar, as I would go for the Albatross club at Episkopi. Great until we went joint with the siggies. I went once after that and they even changed its name - gits.
Loved the Ross when it was in it's original position just down from the Singlies block, however, if I was to pick a particular Bar in Cyprus it would be Annie's (Ann's) bar on the strip, best place to get tanked up on brandy sours before heading to the pure tourist, ie pricey, strip.

Back to the Ross, and jointery, IIRC there was a time when the Boss at Epi (surprise, surprise Army) wasn't happy with all day drinking on a Friday so ruled that bars should shut for a few hours, due to an increase in drink driving and wife beating they eventually realised that splitting a drinking session in two wasn't the best thing to do.

UlsterExile

Sergeant
Bulldog Club in Goose Bay.
Not sure you could call it a bar, but I vaguely remember drinking (I remember going in!!!!!!!!) in there on a stop over. Probably need another description other than a bar to define the Bull dog club. But a good time

norfolkred1

Sergeant
Anyone remember the Bar on ASI. Did 2 weeks R+R, when you could from the FI. Nearest you could get to a cheap holiday resort with all the trimmings.

Vushtrri

Sergeant
K&Q Wendover but only if you could travel back in time to 80/81.. if it had to be abroad, the football club ( for want of a better description) in Vushtrri about 15 miles nth of Pristina..a shithole but incredibly cheap food and Lashko and the locals were friendly!

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
With a time machine mid 80's Finningley rugby club on Wednesday night engaging in drunken good natured banter with the union lads and their attendant WRAF groupies. Discussing important stuff like your two favourite sports? Rugby league and which other. Plus the usual rugby club drinking games, drinking rules and other antics. Many a sore head on a Thursday morning.

PraiseBacon

Sergeant
From forces days - the Mally at Wittering, a totally unique bar, drank in by equally unique people

Bar I want to get back to ASAP - Jim Brady's on Manhattan island, my regular haunt when working in NY - really miss that place

Next pub crawl- back to Dublin, food and a couple of beers in the celler bar at the Ely, then every pub on the waterfront until the Ferryman, and stop there for the lock in....

PraiseBacon

Sergeant
Sounds familiar, as I would go for the Albatross club at Episkopi. Great until we went joint with the siggies. I went once after that and they even changed its name - gits.
When did the 'Ross merge with Jimmy's Bar? '88 - '91 they were next to each other just down from the single's block - i may have been drunk in there a lot - although FamaG's was a my non Limassol hang out of choice!

Semi- related , when did the single block get knocked down? - and where do the blue contingent live now - we aren't slumming it with the grunts are we? Although I guess the HQBF blue contingent are the only ones left there post the demise of 12SU..

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
When did the 'Ross merge with Jimmy's Bar? '88 - '91 they were next to each other just down from the single's block - i may have been drunk in there a lot - although FamaG's was a my non Limassol hang out of choice!

Semi- related , when did the single block get knocked down? - and where do the blue contingent live now - we aren't slumming it with the grunts are we? Although I guess the HQBF blue contingent are the only ones left there post the demise of 12SU..
I don't think the Ross merged with Jimmy's but 12 SU was split (hacked up) between JSSU and 259 Sigs, I was living at Akrotiri on my second tour, so missed out on the Ross based fun that I had in my 5c (brandy only sold as doubles) singly days.

Now that SGS is no longer there I doubt there'd be many Khaki shorts walking around Epi, the work life balance shifted after take over anyway.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
From forces days - the Mally at Wittering, a totally unique bar, drank in by equally unique people

The Mally was brilliant. Loads of laughs and some awesome nights that started on a Friday and ended on Sunday. Usually with a taxi at some point in the proceedings to and from Chillimasters to pick up a mass order of kebabs and curries.