• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

what to do... what to do...

FOGHORN LEGHORN

Sergeant
anybody else out there reached a cross-roads and unsure what to do next? well i have. don't know if anyone else can help, or even whether or not this is the correct forum to try but here goes.

been in over 7 years as a rigger now on brink of promotion (2 spec recs but still not holding my breath), been told several times to go for commission but unsure if the forces is going in the right direction to entice me into commiting myself (let's face it, it's become more work less carrots) to a commission.
thought about entering the world of the civvy but once the safety blanket of the RAF comes off i haven't got a clue what i'd do, don't think civvy a/c work is for me.
volounteered to come out to basrah, to try and sort out what direction i wanted to go in i.e. stay in the RAF or leave. i go home tomorrow and after 4 months with the army i'm still no closer to knowing what to do.
it's too easy to stay in and pass the time in an attendance course RAF career and i don't want to do that.
feel i have outgrown SAC life and want fresh, more demanding challenges. i do plenty outside of work i.e. sports and secondary duties but feel no reward or satisfaction from my job.
not sure anyone can help but any suggestions, or if anyone else is in the same boat please reply to this. cheers
:S

Soon To Leave

Proud To Serve
I think a lot of us are in the same boat regardless of rank and time served. I doubt you would gain anything by being an officer if it's not what you really want.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
anybody else out there reached a cross-roads and unsure what to do next?..... once the safety blanket of the RAF comes off i haven't got a clue what i'd do, don't think civvy a/c work is for me.
..... not sure anyone can help but any suggestions. cheers
:S

I was in a similar position why I left the mob didn't really know what I wanted to do next. So with a blank sheet of paper I started a list of things I wouldn't want to do for a living. Wear denims, roll around on cold concrete fixing aircraft, work nights in the rain and that sort of thing. From that list I looked around for other jobs that didn't include any items listed.

A

Almost_done

What to do........

.....if you are feeling that way about the Service I'd say you have reached saturation point.

All I can offer for advice is read job adverts see if any of those come close to your skillset and what you percive you want in a job and if the match apply for it. That's what I did and it worked, result.

Dave-exfairy

Warrant Officer
Think VERY carefully, I was like you and left after my 9 years, now after having 7/8 jobs since I left the mob in 2001 i've often thought "what if i'd stayed in?". The grass isn't always greener and most civvie bosses don't give a flying fcuk about you as a person.

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Think VERY carefully, I was like you and left after my 9 years, now after having 7/8 jobs since I left the mob in 2001 i've often thought "what if i'd stayed in?". The grass isn't always greener and most civvie bosses don't give a flying fcuk about you as a person.

Mate, is the RAF really any different? A lot of Seniors have trouble remembering your name, let alone actually giving a fcuk about you, but hey, it's the way things are, s'pose you get paid the same whether they give a fcuk or not!

B

born free now trapped

Yeh mate im at the same point as you just over seven years in, think my plan to walk out at the nine year point. Been looking at jobs and there is a good few engineering jobs and the like out there. Everything from offshore to train driving. Only prob for me is it a tad too early for applying.

Dave-exfairy

Warrant Officer
Mate, is the RAF really any different? A lot of Seniors have trouble remembering your name, let alone actually giving a fcuk about you, but hey, it's the way things are, s'pose you get paid the same whether they give a fcuk or not!

I must have been bloody lucky then, 90% of the NCO's and Officer's who I worked with were fantastic. But I know what you're saying though.

MingMong

Warrant Officer

I don't know what Air Force you were in, but as a 'senior' I certainly know the names of absolutely everybody on my shift, and i'm sure I speak for all my fellow shift seniors when I say we most certainly do give a fcuk about them!

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I don't know what Air Force you were in, but as a 'senior' I certainly know the names of absolutely everybody on my shift, and i'm sure I speak for all my fellow shift seniors when I say we most certainly do give a fcuk about them!

When I say "seniors" I mean everyone from SNCO to Officer. You will know that us Plumbers stick together and it's definitely none of my trade seniors that don't know my name or give a fcuk, other squadron personnel however...well that can be a different story.

PS: I'm not in the Air Force, I'm on Joint Force Harrier :pDT_Xtremez_28:

Last edited:

crap_prop

LAC
If you've been in for over seven years how long have you got left? till nine or twelve? My first question is, is it worth sticking it out to get at least some sort of pension. Next what commitments do you have? Children, mortgage, wife, all these things have to taken into concideration before you take the plunge and leave. If a comission is not for you and you have had enough as an SAC then I dont think being a JNCO is going to make you any happier. But a promotion usually comes with a posting so a change my do you good, but reading your post it sems as though you ahve already had enough. So my advice would be to see out your remaining time get as many courses that would benifit you under your belt. Sit down and think long and hard about what you want to do and remember you are nver to old to start downa different path. Write all the pros and cons down as TB suggested and then formulate A plan and stick to it.
Thats all i can suggest. Good luck,