• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What do you think of RAF firefighters?

SirSaltyHelmet

Thoroughly Nice Chap
WHY, is everyone so quick to hamper on about what a fantastic job these boys do in Basra and Afghan, They've got a pi**ing gym at their section in Basra, and it both times i've been there, there were fire alarm activations at best which took up their time. What about the Force Protection Element who do their real job DAY to DAY.

Personally, I would rather a fireman did have their own gym and use it, they should have whatever they want to be honest. I would rather see them doing fcuk all, all day everyday than have to respond to an incident / accident etc. We can do without accident and incidents so the more time they spend on the playstation or in the gym the better.

A fireman or fireperson (whatever they are called now) only has to respond to one incident to justify the full cost of his or her training, the cost of the gym and however many hours they deem to kick ass on COD4 or Mr Renegade, respond to a fire alarm activation

firestorm

Warrant Officer
WHY, is everyone so quick to hamper on about what a fantastic job these boys do in Basra and Afghan, They've got a pi**ing gym at their section in Basra, and it both times i've been there, there were fire alarm activations at best which took up their time. What about the Force Protection Element who do their real job DAY to DAY.

Hamper? in a Fortnum and Mason kind of way? Ignorant tool.

Joe_90

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I do remember some split 4rse crashing the MFV at Colt into a tree, apparently her helmet got stuck in the steering wheel, cue lots of jokes questioning if she was the one driving or not.:pDT_Xtremez_42:

Last edited:
Finningley 1990ish

Finningley 1990ish

Thanks guys, please if you have any more anecdotes, I would love to know them. But don't worry I am not writing a book!

I was in bed one evening/morning after a rather heavy sesh in 't' Naffi bop at RAF Finningley , when a fireman burst into my room and woke me from my rather drunken state! "SAC Blah Blah get your fecking arse out of bed the block is on fire" he screamed. The guy was fully kitted out in Breathing Apparatus and the fully kabbodle. Anyway I managed to open the functional eye I had at the time and proceeded to tell him to feck off and stop winding me up. Having satisfied myself that my pillow was a very attactive proposition I consequently laid my weary head to rest. I then began to feel my foot being pulled from the bottom of my bed, which was at the point when smoke suddenly bellowed into my room! Well fook me I have never sobered so fast and appologised so prefusely. A valuable lesson was learned that day I can tell you. Oh and If i ever catch the batsrad that set fire to the shower curtain I will ring the cnuts neck.

RAF Fireman get my vote but the civvies lost my respect when they went on strike!

S

ScottishCop

RAF Fireman get my vote but the civvies lost my respect when they went on strike!

Well said! We had the militant ones down at Southend and they kept going by our TA centre every 30mins at night with sirens on trying to wake us up! And they kept cutting the wires that connected our temp traffic lights (to let us crash out our wagons) and they also gave us loads of prank calls and put glass around water mains when we went to them! Right bunch of work shy, life endangering b*stards! Loved it when Essex Police went round to their station and threatend to jail the lot of them!!!

firestorm

Warrant Officer
Terrible behavior.

If it really happened.

How many got nicked? None?

How would cutting the wires cause an RTC when you treat lights and junctions as a give way? Hydrant pits (technical term) are often full of broken glass and other detritus. Prank calls? Easy enough to trace and sort out.
Keep the propaganda coming though.
Can't say we ever had a problem with the bods covering our area (Paras) as we viewed them as victims in all this and invited them over on more than one occasion for a beer. They weren't the "enemy". We felt a great deal of sympathy for them.

Last edited:
B

blakeymsf

First guy i shared a room with out of training was a fireman this was at the hampshire helo home, we were living in the Beirut hilton (Hastings block pre 85 ) nice fella but most importantly for a southerner like me, he introduced me to the musical pleasure that is Northern soul as a pay back when i used to rip up the old clothes from clothing stores to go for burning i manged to forget to rip the firemens strings ,

Keep the faith

S

ScottishCop

Terrible behavior.

If it really happened.

How many got nicked? None?

How would cutting the wires cause an RTC when you treat lights and junctions as a give way? Hydrant pits (technical term) are often full of broken glass and other detritus. Prank calls? Easy enough to trace and sort out.
Keep the propaganda coming though.
Can't say we ever had a problem with the bods covering our area (Paras) as we viewed them as victims in all this and invited them over on more than one occasion for a beer. They weren't the "enemy". We felt a great deal of sympathy for them.
We caught them cutting the wires to out lights and the Police traced the calls to them. Terrible behaviour and it stopped me going to do my job in out in Iraq that I was meant to be doing! And when they tried to come speak to us at out 'station' they were nearly lynched! And they wondered why?!!!!!!!
I'm glad the public finally seen the Civilian Firemen for what they really are! And I appreciated all the support we got.
Now I have no time for Civilian Firemen.
RAF Firemen on the other hand, Top bunch!

firestorm

Warrant Officer
So they were arrested/caution for criminal damage and hoax calls?
No?
Troops were never the "enemy" in this, a large percentage of us are ex forces.
So if "the public are seeing us for what we really are" whats that then?
I've got to say that the public I meet, day in day out are grateful and admiring of the job we do every day of the year.

Last edited:

skevans

Flight Sergeant
Stop boring me with this anti fresco cr@p.

Firestorm and I have not argued over this strike for a long time and the reason is quite simple, we are professional firefighters.

The strike was by far a political thing and its affects were felt by many in the services because we are the governments 'do it now' arm.

If you really want to drag up old dirt then please start a fresh thread, this one is about the way that people think of RAF firefighters, nothing else.

Good bunch

Good bunch

I think firefighters are a great bunch of blokes, well the one's I've met anyway. As with all trades you have your @ssh0les, just as in every walk of life. Who cares if they all have gyms in their sections, I'd rather them be in there because it means the sh!te hasn't gone off somewhere else. These men and women do a great job when called too and I for one could not do what they do. I think people who have never seen what they do OOA or who have never actually spoken to one have a very blinkered second hand opinion. For those that have spoken to them and still dont like them, well at least you have it first hand.

Anyway, without firefighters, most Hive's and NAAFI's would go bust! :pDT_Xtremez_15:

Harry B'Stard

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Respect for firemen.

Respect for firemen.

Whilst at a certain Norfolk camp that no longer exists, I was on the STO team (similar to Force Protection).

Had to do training with the firemen every year and had a lot of respect for them. I found out that doing a small portion of the training was hard enough, let alone what it was like when the 5hit hit the fan!

Although I must admit it made me laugh when during a lecture at the fire station, there was a practice crash. We headed to their T-bar for a brew to await their return. All of a sudden we smelt burning. They'd left the sausages under the grill.... imagine the embarasment if we hadn't been there!

Top Lads, especially an old mate of mine, used to be CIO, now at Manston!

HTB

K

k9138

Cant speak for them now but the lot on the bases I was at were lovely guys.

One of the best trades to go out on the lash with as they all stick together. I was in Bosnia in the late 90's and they made it a fantastic tour - inc the end of tour photo - all stark naked with 'helmets' over their bits - except for the lovely shy Sgt who kept his boxers on - you know who you are!!!:pDT_Xtremez_31: