• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What do you think of RAF firefighters?

skevans

Flight Sergeant
Thanks guys, please if you have any more anecdotes, I would love to know them. But don't worry I am not writing a book!

Teh Wal

Flight Sergeant
Skev.. t'would appear that you're not too far away from me at the mo mate. I am sad for the recent loss across the way there.
I still think back to the Chiv crash; I was involved with the BOI. The Hawk was in in one of our hangers and 3 of us from HMF were asigned to assist with the invest. We stopped work and left the hanger to pay our respects when the back seater was buried up at the church on the hill overlooking Chiv about 2 weeks after the crash. I'm sorry to say that I don't remember his name but I do pay my respects... quite often.
Blue skies sir, blue skies.

Last edited:
P

Prodigal Son

I was a copper at Saxa Vord in 87-88. Their's was the only blue light on the island, they were a great bunch of lads, used to let me drive the big red extinguisher around Unst on my days off!!

Whilst there I remember a fire in MQ's where one of the married Cpls entered and saved a little girl from certain death. Can't remember his name (shame on me), but bloody hero, very brave! Nice blokes all of them!

Went on to Brize - complete change of attitude! They didn't like coppers, coppers didn't like anyone - sad really!

Last edited:

Realist78

Master of my destiny
Regardless of the inevitable volleyball jokes, I would rather have a trained fireman with me when crunch time, if it ever happens, comes.:raf:

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
I havent seen a RAF fireman since I was down south. All our firefighters are civvies here.
Firefighters down south were good though.
They got airlifted out to some islanders farm cos his peat bog was on fire!!
They didnt whinge about time wasting at all. Very proffesional.

Sospan

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
After FRESCO I witnessed first hand how good these guys are, even with little or no experience of 'real' action their training and professionalism shone through.

Oh and MrMasher, I take offence to using animal fur as avatar can you remove it before I report you ::p:

T93

Sergeant
I was a copper at Saxa Vord in 87-88. Their's was the only blue light on the island, they were a great bunch of lads, used to let me drive the big red extinguisher around Unst on my days off!!

Whilst there I remember a fire in MQ's where one of the married Cpls entered and saved a little girl from certain death. Can't remember his name (shame on me), but bloody hero, very brave! Nice blokes all of them!

Went on to Brize - complete change of attitude! They didn't like coppers, coppers didn't like anyone - sad really!

PD,

Sexy Saxa in 88 you say hmmm Are you a Cornishman by any chance & goes by the name of D*** E**Y?

If so, was it not one of you guys who managed to roll the landy whilst practising your Ayrton Senna moves on the perimeter rd?

T

The Dog's

An ex-boss of mine (nav sqn ldr) went for his commission from SAC fire-fighter. Hairy-arsed wide-boy Scouser, but the salt of the earth. Top bloke (for a Scouser).:raf:

Shanester

LAC
Pikey B'stards, the lot of em, and can you get near the spar car park at around 10 in the morning...no becasue they are all in there buying all the friggin bacon and sausage butties the tw@ts!!::p:

opsgeek

IC Tea's and Key's
Worked with FFTRs @ Bastion in 2007. Top blokes, always smiling even though they do a harrowing job out there.

P

Prodigal Son

PD,

Sexy Saxa in 88 you say hmmm Are you a Cornishman by any chance & goes by the name of D*** E**Y?

If so, was it not one of you guys who managed to roll the landy whilst practising your Ayrton Senna moves on the perimeter rd?

Not me old chap. I was a quiet Yorkshire bloke called Andy. I was there when a young Oirish SAC fireman called Dave rolled a fire engine into a field on the road to the top site!!!

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
After FRESCO I witnessed first hand how good these guys are, even with little or no experience of 'real' action their training and professionalism shone through.

Oh and MrMasher, I take offence to using animal fur as avatar can you remove it before I report you ::p:

Kiss the dogs swingers you stirrer! Off Topic

R

renegade

Fireman

Fireman

WHY, is everyone so quick to hamper on about what a fantastic job these boys do in Basra and Afghan, They've got a pi**ing gym at their section in Basra, and it both times i've been there, there were fire alarm activations at best which took up their time. What about the Force Protection Element who do their real job DAY to DAY.

skevans

Flight Sergeant
WHY, is everyone so quick to hamper on about what a fantastic job these boys do in Basra and Afghan, They've got a pi**ing gym at their section in Basra, and it both times i've been there, there were fire alarm activations at best which took up their time. What about the Force Protection Element who do their real job DAY to DAY.

If everyone else will excuse the pun (because you can't) the phrase as thick as pig **** comes to mind.

This thread was originally set up so that I could show what the community thinks of us. If nothing else it was an arguement setler.

However 'renegade' has decided to detract from the thread by pointing out what the men in Basrah (yes it has an 'h') have as material facilities, not what they undertake for the benefit of the UK armed forces.

For the record RAF firefighters in Basrah and Bastion do not have any standown periods. They are on duty 24/7 for four months, with the exception of R&R.

The gym has been provided as a gift from various fire stations in the UK, including from the DF&RS to relieve the boredom and mantain the fitness and operational capability of our men and women in theatre.

So 'renegade' do you fancy working a minimum of a 2952 hour shift with no welfare facilities available? Or do you fancy opening a new thread and keeping this one for the open and capable minded population it was intended?

Last edited:
S

ScottishCop

Whilst one Op Fresco in Southend, we had a Cpl fireman by the name of 'Geordie' with us. Thoroughly professional chap who made a very good call one day.
As a whole I have always found them to be a really good bunch.
I have always found that Coppers and Firemen get along really well.

Cake or Death

Flight Sergeant
When i was out in basra I personally wanted to beat the living crap out of them.

Why, well every morning around 08:00-09:00 when i was out servicing the merlin IRT cab these buggers decide to test the fecking sirens on the their engines. It may have only been for a second but that second sounded like the IDF alarm going off which always had me diving of the top off the cab. My knees and heart took a right pounding. ::/:

In futre can you people please leave it on for slightly longer. Also saw a waafi firewomen who was reasonabley pleaseing on the eye. also very good at volleyball!

planesailing

Always a Liney
What do you think of RAF firefighters?

Nothing but the best, you guys set up to save lives and what better cause is there?

I have only the highest regard for the job you do, I salute you.
You are brave men and women doing a truly worthwhile job.

opsgeek

IC Tea's and Key's

When was the last time YOU had to pull bits human off the back of a Wokka Wokka. At Bastion these guys do it daily. There on call 24/7 to attend any incident in Helmand where troops need cutting out of vehicles, and they do get called out. These guys work their backsides off at Bastion.