• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

VW Emissions

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
So naughty VW allegedly have software that gives different readings in test conditions than it does in real world on the road conditions. So VW owners does it matter, do you even care that potentially the MOT emissions are not the same as your everyday emissions. Corporate greed, smart practice, Teutonic efficiency gone mad. What's the view of the Goat faithful.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34325005

rebbonk

SAC
The motor industry has been using dodgy practices like this for years. Looks like the chickens may finally be coming home to roost!

Fu Fu Valve

Sergeant
i want one retrofitted to my Impreza to get through the MOT without the hassle i usually have. :pDT_Xtremez_14:

At the end of the day they played the game and got caught. Next question is how many other manufacturers are at it as well.
I did read somewhere it's like the F1 rule book. It depends how you interpret it and how you get round things. All the rules say is under test the car should produce X, Y & Z for the emmissions pass. How it's achieved is down to the individual companies.

Gonterseed

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The "emissions statement" for an EU test is based on a pre-production sample in controlled lab conditions and the test spec, labs and reporting is done by the manufacturer whereas the USA tend to do things a little differently and as VW presumably don't bank with HSBC they won't have the local knowledge...

Serves them right for acting like fcukwits and thinking they can increase their US market share by using dodgy software, that the likes of Ford and General Motors probably use in their EU test regimes, without being grassed up by their competitors.

Rocket_Ronster

You ain`t seen me.
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Can`t see the problem, surely everybody accepts that manufacturers figures, such as mpg, are "optimistic".

VW have lost 20% of their stock market value now though, good time to buy ?

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
I wonder what is going to happen to all those models that have fudged emission figures, will their Road Fund Licence be going up?

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Is this going to affect the entire VW Group or just VW branded cars?

I don't know for sure but it's a good bet that other VAG models made by Audi, Seat and Skoda etc and that share the same platform and mechanicals as VW will probably have the same issues.

ScoobTech

Sergeant
It depends on whether they test a moving car for NOX emmisions here or in Europe. Our VED is based on CO2 emmisions so unless they have fudged them as well then VED rates should stay the same.

G

Gord

It depends on whether they test a moving car for NOX emmisions here or in Europe. Our VED is based on CO2 emmisions so unless they have fudged them as well then VED rates should stay the same.

Vehicles in Canada are tested with the drive wheels on a set of rollers with a big fvck off fan mounted in front of the car to simulate movement down the road and run in gear with speeds up to 40/50 mph, shifting through the complete range of gears except reverse, in addition to which, if your vehicle shows a check engine light on the dash it is an automatic fail until the source of that light is discovered in which case, depending on the weather, it may receive a pass. For example, the canister that collects fumes from the fuel tank and re circulates them into the engine may not work in the winter when the temps are so low that it cannot operate efficiently so in a case where your car is due for an emissions test in winter time, if that is the only fault, it will be overlooked.

Last edited:

Late & Tired

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
To be honest, as long as it doesn't affect MY MPG, I'm not bothered.
I run a 06 plate diesel Golf with 100k+ on the gauge.
Runs like a dream and has never let me down
It does fire up like Drax and Battersea power stations mind...

Old Timer Chris

Corporal
VW have lost 20% of their stock market value now though, good time to buy ?[/QUOTE]

Good question! I think there is a bit more to go! At the last count they had lost 35%, but I agree there must be an opportunity in there somewhere.

I suppose it going to depend on how much compensation they have to pay to the Yanks...and we all know what they are like..but BP survived it so I have no doubt that VW will!

Gonterseed

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
VW have lost 20% of their stock market value now though, good time to buy ?

Good question! I think there is a bit more to go! At the last count they had lost 35%, but I agree there must be an opportunity in there somewhere.

I suppose it going to depend on how much compensation they have to pay to the Yanks...and we all know what they are like..but BP survived it so I have no doubt that VW will!

I wouldn't be too sure about that. If VW sales drop too far (and who knows how far that is likely to go) then their supply chain will suffer. Small firms going bust, redundancies and early retirements could well have a big effect on re-building the market share.

*edited out an errant quote end marker*

Last edited:

Old Timer Chris

Corporal
I wouldn't be too sure about that. If VW sales drop too far (and who knows how far that is likely to go) then their supply chain will suffer. Small firms going bust, redundancies and early retirements could well have a big effect on re-building the market share.

*edited out an errant quote end marker*

I note with interest that VW have started to conduct their own tests on other manufacturers cars. Trying to pass the buck I suppose but I will be really surprised if VW are the only company caught up in this.

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
I note with interest that VW have started to conduct their own tests on other manufacturers cars. Trying to pass the buck I suppose but I will be really surprised if VW are the only company caught up in this.

I would imagine they are trying to prove they're not the only ones at it, to minimise lost business to other marques (why switch from a brand you trust(ed) to another that's doing the same thing?

Dunno about hard time passing the buck (they got caught, might as well suck it up and move on), but they can certainly try and share the pain! And if they can prove that their peer manufacturers are doing the same thing then maybe it might save them a small fortune in refunds and legal battles (bit hard to say you'd have bought from a different manufacturer, if they're all at it!)

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
The Scandal is Spreading

The Scandal is Spreading

I see other manufacturers are starting to get caught in the net with more defeat devices.

BMW today admitted that their cars only enabled the indicators and the speedometer during government tests. A spokesman stated: "The car contained a defeat device which could detect when it was being given an MoT test. When this happened the indicator stalk triggered yellow lights on the car exterior. On the dashboard, alongside the RPM dial, a would speedometer show the car's speed".

He continued "BMW drivers do not use either feature in the real world —enabling them would only cause a distraction. However, following discussions with the Department of Transport, we will be recalling the cars to enable the features. We will also be training the drivers in how to indicate before changing lanes, and how to keep the number shown on the speedometer below that on little signs by the side of the road.".

The expansion of "dieselgate" beyond emissions marks a new stage in the growing scandal —as people wonder if other vehicles are rigged to only enable certain features in tests. In particular, questions are being asked of Volvo and their accelerator pedals.

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
rest have risen above me said:
see other manufacturers are starting to get caught in the net with more defeat devices.

BMW today admitted that their cars only enabled the indicators and the speedometer during government tests. A spokesman stated: "The car contained a defeat device which could detect when it was being given an MoT test. When this happened the indicator stalk triggered yellow lights on the car exterior. On the dashboard, alongside the RPM dial, a would speedometer show the car's speed".

He continued "BMW drivers do not use either feature in the real world —enabling them would only cause a distraction. However, following discussions with the Department of Transport, we will be recalling the cars to enable the features. We will also be training the drivers in how to indicate before changing lanes, and how to keep the number shown on the speedometer below that on little signs by the side of the road.".

The expansion of "dieselgate" beyond emissions marks a new stage in the growing scandal —as people wonder if other vehicles are rigged to only enable certain features in tests. In particular, questions are being asked of Volvo and their accelerator pedals.

Was fully hooked until the first line of the second paragraph.....:pDT_Xtremez_28:

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
Frankly, I am surprised that nobody has mentioned the impact on the individual performance of the car.
All this electronic trickery, whilst possibly being good and green, is causing the engine to run at an 'inefficient' temperature (according to one expert to whom I spoke).
This implies that the car will not do as well as it could in MPG figures, so the driver is, once again, paying for EU junk rules.

So, if VW (and all the other affected firms) correct the software, you won't get as many miles in your tank.

G

Gord

FFS if a car is getting 40 -50 mpg, how much feckin' ****e can it be pumping out, surely it is burning 90 odd percent of the fuel, especially when you consider we still have vehicles that are only getting 20 odd mpg and yet are passing annual or bi-annual emissions tests.