• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vulcan to Wittering

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
I hope that they have stopped the "Robin Hood" rubbish since Finningly is not even in Nottinghamshire.
Robin of Loxley came from Sheffield, us Yorkshire folk only let Snottingham have him as their folk hero because they have got nowt else to be proud of!!

V

Verde falco

My sons in BAE and said that XH558 is sitting in the BAE hanger at Doncaster (Ex-Finningly). Oh the good old days when I use to work on her.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
My sons in BAE and said that XH558 is sitting in the BAE hanger at Doncaster (Ex-Finningly). Oh the good old days when I use to work on her.
At the moment XH558 is parked on the ramp outside the terminal building at Donny.

After the May bank holiday it is moving back onto the old Dominie flight line, it will eventually be moved into the old Dominie shed (3 Hangar). At the moment this hangar houses BAe & Lufthansa training equipment in the south western half with the north eastern half empty.

The red lines are along the lines airport security fence.

vulcanramp.jpg

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I'm getting my brother to make me the airfix model of xh558. What is the camo scheme at the moment and was the best in peoples opinions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Lloyd

Warrant Officer
I'm getting my brother to make me the airfix model of xh558. What is the camo scheme at the moment and was the best in peoples opinions

I'm thinking it's in matt grey/green wrapround

Gloss grey/green uppers with big shiny proud roundels. When The Royal Air Force was a Force.

Realist78

Master of my destiny
I'm thinking it's in matt grey/green wrapround

Gloss grey/green uppers with big shiny proud roundels. When The Royal Air Force was a Force.

The gloss grey/green was only for 27 Sqn (easier to wash off radioactive contamination). The rest were painted matt (except the very early days of gloss white).:pDT_Xtremez_19:

MAINJAFAD

Warrant Officer
Current Airfix kit has the correct current markings for 558, which is a gloss dark green/dark sea grey wrap around scheme with gloss red / blue roundels top of wing and sides and fin flashes. (kits other markings are XM607 in Black Buck scheme (matt dg/dsg and matt extra dark sea grey underside with plyons (you will need a AN/ALQ 101 Dash 10 ECM pod from an Airfix Buccaneer kit if building it in operational configuration), a 9 (or 27) sqn one in a matt dg/dsg with matt light aircraft grey underside and a 617 Sqn Blue Steel equipped one in anti-flash gloss white).

Last edited:

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
So then Matt camo all the way round and red white and blue roundels.

Next question wheels up or down and could I get away with the bomb bay being open. Doing some sort of diorama maybe

G

grumpyoldb

I bet those views bring back a few memories.

You're not kidding.................. single and free. Well, divorced and very easy! :pDT_Xtremez_42:

Back to the hairy planes, those views could've been taken from our line office.
Shed 3, 1st office to the right of the fire doors as you look out onto the pan.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
You're not kidding.................. single and free. Well, divorced and very easy! :pDT_Xtremez_42:

Back to the hairy planes, those views could've been taken from our line office.
Shed 3, 1st office to the right of the fire doors as you look out onto the pan.

Taken from the yellow dot in This View .

G

grumpyoldb

Taken from the yellow dot in This View .

Half a shed out but close enough. Funny, I don't remember to undulations in the concrete like that. Maybe just the camera doing it, or it could've been the alcoholic haze when I was there. :pDT_Xtremez_42: :pDT_Xtremez_31:

MAINJAFAD

Warrant Officer
So then Matt camo all the way round and red white and blue roundels.

Next question wheels up or down and could I get away with the bomb bay being open. Doing some sort of diorama maybe

558 was painted in the gloss finish warp round cammo when the RAF made her the display aircraft, though the gloss has faded over time.

1655195-vlarge.jpg

The Vulcan B2's started out gloss all white, with pale pink / white / pale blue roundels.

vulcan-1.jpg

The normal red/white/blue roundels where only used on the B2's when the aircraft were gloss green/grey with white undersides, which was when the fleet went low level in the 1960s.

598cl.jpg

When the undersides were painted matt light aircraft grey, the topside cammo went matt as well as the roundels (which lost the white).

vulcan1b.jpg

and this was followed by the all over wrap around (again roundels and fin flash were low vis (i.e. no white))

then there were the Black Buck Aircraft when the undersides were painted matt extra dark sea grey (this is the one that ended up in Rio)

220px-VulcanblackbuckefJM.jpg

As for the open bomb bay, that has to be scratch built (but 1-72 scale plans are available (I've got them, and it is not that hard to do)).

Last edited: