• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Visiting the USA

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
I've never been to the good 'ole USA. I have been to Cold Lake and seen bits of Canada.
But mainly, during 24 yrs in her employ, Aunty Betty never sent me anywhere 'nice' or exotic and never let me into her money pit of expenses like many of you. I only had one tour of 18 months where 'hotels' were the norm. I did, though, make the most of 11 years in Germany.

I digress. The aim of this thread is for you guys to give me guidance on priorities of sights, scenery and museum's to see in the USA.

I envisage two or three trips of 10 days or more in the new year (or maybe two years) in the following areas:

Boston. Florida. Nevada

What are, in your opinion, the best things to do/see in those areas and how long would I need to do/see that properly?

I want to see aviation museums and the Grand Canyon to kick this off...but what is there - there?

Over to you...

clarklyttle

LAC
Subscriber
Boston

Boston

I did a fly drive around the east coast area 4 years ago.

I started in Boston for a few nights and I would recommend the freedom trail (red bricks in the road mark the trail) around Boston which takes in all the main historical things in Boston. I did it in reverse (missed alot of crowds) so started from the Navy ship Constitution which was intresting to look around got it for free by showing my ID.

There are Park rangers around the ship area that will give you information for free. Due to only me and the wife turning up we got a private tour and talk about the battle for independence up bunker hill monument for free (They won't even take tips for the great tour they provided).

We also went to the Cheers bar which was good to say we had done and got the photo.

Beyound this Boston is a very walkable city and we have thought of going back in the future as we did not mange to see all of the city.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Well, I'm planning to utilise the Amtrak next year from Los Angeles across to the east coast. Several stops inbetween with maybe driving a hire car back across or fly back to LAX.

Nevada wise you also have the Hoover Dam once you get fed up of the Vegas excesses.

norfolkred1

Sergeant
Well, I'm planning to utilise the Amtrak next year from Los Angeles across to the east coast. Several stops inbetween with maybe driving a hire car back across or fly back to LAX.

Nevada wise you also have the Hoover Dam once you get fed up of the Vegas excesses.

Mate of mine found this and passed it on, maybe of help. Not sure of the link as it was a FB page.

dereklow.co/across-the-usa-by-train-for-just-213/#.WFWBnVVxmdE.facebook

FOMz

Warrant Officer
If you are thinking about Florida... especially around the Orlando area... have a look at this site... http://www.thedibb.co.uk

Lots of tips and up to date information. There is a forum called Beyond the Parks for stuff away from Orlando.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Mate of mine found this and passed it on, maybe of help. Not sure of the link as it was a FB page.

dereklow.co/across-the-usa-by-train-for-just-213/#.WFWBnVVxmdE.facebook

Cheers Norfolk,

That's the exact same FB article I had pop up as well. Looks like an awesome way to do it and it saves me putting God knows how many miles on my wagon. :pDT_Xtremez_28:

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
The Grand Canyon is an absolute must if you are in the Nevada area - I've been 4 times and would never get sick of seeing it!

If you have time, visit the south rim via the Hoover Dam (4 hours drive from Vegas, stay overnight in Grand Canyon village) for a couple of days. That way you can explore it at your leisure, walk down to the Colarado River (if you have the stamina), and generally see the whole lot of it.

My other recommendation is New Orleans - Very old-world, but very pretty. There's even a Brit pub at Algiers Point!

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Homosassa Springs on the Gulf of Mexico is good for a wee bit of manatee sighting and potential swimming

Max Reheat

Resident Drunk
1000+ Posts
My other recommendation is New Orleans - Very old-world, but very pretty. There's even a Brit pub at Algiers Point!

New Orleans and particularly Bourbon St is a cracking night out, Mardi Gras is in February and a great spectacle. What I would say is beware of women who are particularly keen to talk to tourists and come back to your room. I know of several guys who have been robbed while they slept.

I love Vegas but it's not really a drinkers paradise and quite pricey. San Diego and San Fransisco both good places to visit with the Naval museum and Alcatraz to see respectively. Spent a day/night in Washington where the air and space museum and all the memorials are worth a visit.

I've spent quite a bit of time on Floridas Emerald Coast in and around Destin, very nice part of the world and where Americans holiday away from foreign tourists.

Also budget for tips, 15-20% is the norm or a dollar a drink.

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
Great responses guys - please keep em coming.
How much time do I need to go through the Kennedy Space Centre? and the Air & Space Museum?

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Great responses guys - please keep em coming.
How much time do I need to go through the Kennedy Space Centre? and the Air & Space Museum?

Give it a whole day. You need to get on the launchpad tour in the morning (the earlier the better) so then you have time to see everything else like launch control if you leave it too late, you'll miss loads.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
If you do find yourself in California and like breath taking views, you can't go far wrong with Sequoia National Park. Amazing Vistas.

Max Reheat

Resident Drunk
1000+ Posts
We did the air and space museum in about 4 hours waiting for flights. Tickets and bus travel free from the USO in the airport who were very welcoming.

PingDit

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
If you've got a current service ID or veterans ID card, the 'Days Inn' hotel chain used to offer a 50% discount. Not sure if this is still current but I suspect it will be. Worth checking out!

Edited to add: Florida; Sea World and a drive in an open top sports car down the Florida Keys to Key West is a must!
The US Navy also have a small trailer park with 8 berth Winabego's at Key West. We paid a very small fee to stay overnight.

Last edited:

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
In Boston you can take on of the regular ferries over to provincetown. This is the gay capital of the east coast, and therefore one of the most family friendly and most hospitable seaside venues on this side of the country. The restaurants and night-life are really quite epic. I stayed there for a few days and aside form making sure my lodgings were firmly secured when I went to bed :pDT_Xtremez_31:, I had a great time there.

rocket scientist

Sergeant
I'll keep it simple and let you know where I've been and what I thought about it in order of preference for returning. These are purely my impressions based on what I saw/experienced.

Savannah, Georgia - Nice weather, very few brits to cramp your style, relatively historical but still in the 60's as far as race relations are concerned. Think Huckleberry Finn.

San Francisco - Clean, fairly compact & easy to get around, non-generic US city. Very liberal (I saw 3 cross dressers on my first evening). Alcatraz is a must. Weather is a gamble.

Virginia/Washington DC - Virginia is the USA's living museum. Washington is a couple of hours drive away and a relatively compact city for sightseeing. Good weather.

Albuquerque - Hot. Desert. Pleasant though. It has a dog museum which was made compulsory for us leckies to visit.

Florida - Full of attraction parks, old people & Brit families with kids. Rains more than you think.

Las Vegas - America's Blackpool. 2 days is enough, 4 days too many.

Los Angeles/Hollywood - Sprawling ****hole.

Seattle - Miserable depressing place. Avoid.

Last edited:

norfolkred1

Sergeant
Done a number of road trips:

1. Florida, has to be done with the kids, hot in July, dam hot.

2. Kentucky up to Cape May, Washington then onto New York

3. Georgia. Into Atlanta South East then upto Augusta onto Savanah and the Black Mountains back to Atlanta.

4. New Orleans North to Memphis then back South to Mobile and West to Orleans

5. Washington West in Virginia on the Sky Line and into West Virginia and back to Washington.

We try to stay away for tourists and Brits, just to see the real america and meet real Americans that don't want to shoot or mug you, as seen on TV. We book our first and last Hotel/Motel and the rest AD Hoc so we are not tied to deadlines. Never had a problem finding anywhere to stay

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Another little gem that I found out is KOA (Kamp Grounds of America). Think a massive chain of campsites around the US, each with decent ablutions, Wi-Fi, Power etc. Looking at around $25 a night if using a tent.