• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Virgin runner!!

shettie

Flight Sergeant
Lisa - if you have a look through the web - there are a load of sites that give training programmes for new runners - this is one that I've used in the past - but there are others that have jog/walk programmes... (which are much better on the knees until they get used to what you are forcing them to do...)

GPS watches and guff like that are OK if you're doing "distance" work - but until you get to the stage where you can do a couple of miles without stopping - they're b0llocks! :) Best thing is to make sure the shoes you've got are comfortable - and give your feet, ankles knees an hips the shock adsorbsion they need!

Good luck!

WEEK ONE

Mon Rest
Tue Run 1 min, walk 1 min. Do 10 times
Wed Rest
Thu Run 2 mins, walk 4 mins. Do 5 times
Fri Rest
Sat Rest
Sun Run 2 mins, walk 4 mins. Do 5 times​

WEEK TWO
Mon Rest
Tue Run 3 mins, walk 3 mins. Do 4 times
Wed Rest
Thu Run 3 mins, walk 3 mins. Do 4 times
Fri Rest
Sat Rest
Sun Run 5 mins, walk 3 mins. Do 3 times

WEEK THREE

Mon Rest
Tue Run 7 mins, walk 2 mins. Do 3 times
Wed Rest
Thu Run 8 mins, walk 2 mins. Do 3 times
Fri Rest
Sat Rest
Sun Run 8 mins, walk 2 mins. Do 3 times

WEEK FOUR
Mon Rest
Tue Run 8 mins, walk 2 mins. Do 3 times
Wed Rest
Thu Run 10 mins, walk 2 mins. Do twice then run for 5 mins
Fri Rest
Sat Rest
Sun Run 8 mins, walk 2 mins. Do 3 times
WEEK FIVE

Mon Rest
Tue Run 9 mins, walk 1 min. Do 3 times
Wed Rest
Thu Run 12 mins, walk 2 mins. Do twice then run for 5 mins
Fri Rest
Sat Rest
Sun Run 8 mins, walk 2 mins. Do 3 times WEEK SIX

Mon Rest
Tue Run 15 mins, walk 1 min. Do twice
Wed Rest
Thu Run 8 mins, walk 2 mins. Do 3 times
Fri Rest
Sat Rest
Sun 5K Race!

Inevertouchedit

Flight Sergeant
Speaking as someone who did some serious running in my youth - RAF Henlow 10 mile race in 56 mins when I was 18 (I think Mark Flint won it in 47 mins !!). I was doing upwards of 70 miles a week at one stage alongside PT runs at Cosford in RAF plimmys - ouch.

Not sure how heavy you are ( more weight = more joint/cartilage pressure) or how old you are (joint flexibility/bone strength issues leading to stress fractures) ??

HOWEVER, fitness wise now at 45, it's cycling or dog walking (power walking) for me. A lot less violent on my now knackered knees. They're sore in the mornings and creak all day. It's alright being encouraged to be sporty when you're younger, but you pay the price when you're older !

Any non-impact aerobic exercise is good - swimming, cycling etc

lisab

Girlie Brosette Mod - I owe you nothing...oooh ah!
Hi guys, thank you so much for your replies you have posted some really useful gen thank you!!!:pDT_Xtremez_30:

I went to my local running shop today www.upandrunning.co.uk and I was in there about two hours! the guy helping me was a fairly elderly gent I would say in his late 60's early 70's but you could tell he was totally fit, but my god he was also totally bonkers (but in a good old fashioned eccentric way!) he measured my feet and I now know Im a neutral. He also helped me choose some new running tops/bottoms (Ive spent a fair bit of money today!) but once I have it I will have no excuse not to get out there (thats the idea anyway!) So, there we have it all I need to do now is to get on with it which I am doing in the morning, tomorrow morning I am taking my first steps into becoming a fit and healthy runner!!! Wish me luck!!!!!

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
It's alright being encouraged to be sporty when you're younger, but you pay the price when you're older !

Amen to that..........I am reduced to 50 lengths of "trying not to drown in straight lines" and the odd run around the countryside.

.........and LB, however great you feel tomorrow, don't kick the ass out of it on the first day - or you'll feel like you have polio by saturday morning.

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
Good luck Lisa.....just taking a look at shetties routine, it seems similar to something I did years ago and was quite good (although you wouldn't say it worked for me by looking at me !!)........I might even try and give it a go on my 5 week rotation at work.....first time in the gym for 2 and a half years.....hmmmmmm

Crack on...............:pDT_Xtremez_09:

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
Lisab, sorry I missed this thread before. I also used to hate running, until.... I got decent trainers and an ipod with music I actually like. For me I just make up playlist of my fave songs and I'm golden. I also stick to new balance trainers now. They have great ankle support and are very light on my feet... I love em.

Good luck chick, it is a nice way to get rid of frustration after a stressfull day in the office!

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
So let me get this straight after all the expense and planning you intend to go out in posh trainers, shorts, t-shirt etc and run from point "A" all the way back to the same point "A" for the sole purpose of getting hot, sweaty and cream crackered.:pDT_Xtremez_34: utter madness

Best of luck and go for it Lisa.:pDT_Xtremez_30:

G

grumpyoldb

you intend to go out in posh trainers, shorts, t-shirt etc for the sole purpose of getting hot, sweaty

Stop it, TB................! At once..................! :pDT_Xtremez_42: :pDT_Xtremez_31: :pDT_Xtremez_31: :pDT_Xtremez_31:

Entropy

Sergeant
I've recently started out (Dec last year) on the fitness/running trail. All the advice above is really good from a novices point of view. Firstly get yourself a decent pair of trainers. I went to Up&Running to get my gait analysed, I then went to SportsDirect to get a pair of running shoes that matched by gait (Asics Gel at 1/2 the price). I also decked myself out at SportsDirect with some very cheap polyester based running gear.

As for the actual running, I started out running until I was out of breath then walking until I regained my breath. Then repeating for about 30 mins. This gradually built up to more running than walking to the point where I was running a mile before stopping.

One of the running web sites, fetch or runner world, talked about the point where you normally stop but you mentally push so that you don't stop running. You will exeperience it, it was a really good moment for me.

Finally you really need to build it into you life style othwise it will be a chore. Plan the time that you can run and plan where you run. As earlier posts have said try to get out on a trail, woods or park as roads are V boring.

shettie

Flight Sergeant
So, there we have it all I need to do now is to get on with it which I am doing in the morning, tomorrow morning I am taking my first steps into becoming a fit and healthy runner!!! Wish me luck!!!!!

C'mon then lady! how did it go??? :)

E

Exile

Lots of good advise there Lisa b, but the one thing that has kept me on the straight and narrow is a training partner. they give you added motivation especially when weathers bad, or you don't feel that up for it. They are also good company when your out running. Obviously best to find someone about your standard and then set goals to achieve together. i can't say it's all fun, but you do get a sense of achievement from getting out there. Good luck and hope you have fun.

Mad Dog

LAC
Lots of good advise there Lisa b, but the one thing that has kept me on the straight and narrow is a training partner. they give you added motivation especially when weathers bad, or you don't feel that up for it. They are also good company when your out running. Obviously best to find someone about your standard and then set goals to achieve together. i can't say it's all fun, but you do get a sense of achievement from getting out there. Good luck and hope you have fun.

I thought it was the cream doughnuts at tea break that keep you motivated Exile!! :pDT_Xtremez_30:

J

JBJ90

Music to run by....

Music to run by....

I started running again earlier this year, the biggest problem I had was sticking to a running plan and discovering new routes around the countryside that didn't involve traffic dodging!

The biggest help I've had though is Podrunner, you can find it on i-tunes as a free podcast but he also has his own website where you can get the music.
It's great because the tracks are listed by beats per minute, so all you need to do is find your speed and download away for free!

Check out his three interval training downloads for 5, 8 & 10 K runs:

http://www.djsteveboy.com/intervals.html

Oh yeah and watch out for the inconsiderate bleeders who think that your running track is for driving on!!!:pDT_Xtremez_30:

lisab

Girlie Brosette Mod - I owe you nothing...oooh ah!
C'mon then lady! how did it go??? :)

Well you will be pleased to know I did it! and I survived, I didn't throw up or pass out and it wasn't that bad! (although not the most pleasurable experience of my life but certainly not the worst!!) I haven't been put off so yep I will be continuing on this runners path!!! I'm going to follow the programme you posted on here so thank you, and thanks to everyone that has posted you guys always come up trumps cheers!!!:pDT_Xtremez_30:

Bloody legs hurt this morning though!!!

W

wgaf

If you don't throw up you ain't training hard enough:pDT_Xtremez_28:

FOMz

Warrant Officer
I've just been a little bit sick in my mouth.... have you ever seen Lisa's legs? :pDT_Xtremez_02::pDT_Xtremez_09::pDT_Xtremez_34:

G

grumpyoldb

I heard that west yorkshire police had a rolling sign up saying "Caution. Slow moving wide load" :pDT_Xtremez_42:

I know. I'm dead when she get's hold of me!

:pDT_Xtremez_31: :pDT_Xtremez_31: :pDT_Xtremez_31: