• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Victim or lead swinger?

John Lloyd

Warrant Officer
Just another poor unfortunate trying to get by. He won't be the only one. There's plenty of ex servicemen out there struggling with the rest.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
So much for engineers earning more on the outside ;-)

More seriously this is probably the end of a complicated journey where something appears to have gone wrong, combat stress? like comment #2

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
So much for engineers earning more on the outside ;-)

Off Topic Quite so, I know far more engineers who earn less post RAF, than engineers who allegedly earn far moreOff Topic

As to the guy in the article I'd wager that the story barely scratches the surface of how he ended up in the situation the paper highlights he's now in.

Last edited:

firestorm

Warrant Officer
Would this man be entitled to help from RBL, SSAFA or some such organisation or does he need to step up and take responsibility for himself and his family?
I think it the later.

Last edited:

Teh Wal

Flight Sergeant
Whilst I have some sympathy for the bloke this comment sets small anti-sympathy alarm bells ringing:
Councillor Raj Khan, who has been following the case, said: “Mr Sibthorpe has not got the best history in terms of rent-history and arrears. There is a lot of issues and Mr Sibthorpe could have managed his situation much better.

Just 'cos he's ex-RAF it doesn't mean he's a salt-of-the-earth type of chap that deserves our instant respect and support... we've all come across chancers and wideboys who think that the world owes them, people who arent prepared to look after themselves (in more ways than one) but think someone else should.
"Combat stress" - I know some of the blokes (RMs, Paras and RAF engineers) who were on the Falklands during the conflict 30 years ago... A RAF engineer suffering combat stress? I suppose we all react to situations in different ways but hmmm...!

Last edited:

Joe_90

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
In theory he might react worse than the Paras etc you mention. Being in the RAF at that time he probably never expected to go anywhere outside a HAS. When he suddenly realised he was within a few miles of people who actually wanted him dead it could flick a switch. Ultimately he's screwed now anyway, now he has arrears he won't get private housing until it's paid. If he gets social housing he is trapped in whatever hovel they offer him until he pays those arrears off as well. He's not about to get an easy life, if he has had one since leaving the RAF.

br9mp81

Corporal
iirc,there was a fair few raf techies on the atlantic convenyer, also,iirc a snco who was one of the last off the boat was awarded a medal for his actions that day.