• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ULEZ

kawoloki

Sergeant
2009ish:- "Ditch petrol cars, buy diesel...
2023: "Your diesel is polluting, we're going to charge you £12 a day to go to work and offer negligible scrappage for your old car..

Massive infrastructure investment is needed if we're going to go down the electric car route so this isn't just a Khan / Labour issue... I'm sure they've done studies of the air quality in tube stations showing it's far worse than general outside areas...

Definitely needs cross party approach and consensus not the constant point scoring against each other..

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Check your vehicles ULEZ compliant status.

Having checked, mine is compliant so just a 2/3 hour drive from TB towers to London to not pay Mr Mayor his stealth road taxes.

Fu Fu Valve

Sergeant
Not just London, Glasgow has one as well. If we head down from the wilds of Aberdeenshire we have to use my car as the wife's 1.6l Golf is apparently non-compliant. It'll just be a case of avoid anywhere they try to bill me extra to drive on top of what i've already paid for the priveledge.
I'm sure it's coming to Aberdeen as well, but that would be the death knell for a town center thats already on it's backside and full of vape shops, phone repair shops, charity shops and empty shops.

Junter

LAC
Not just London, Glasgow has one as well. If we head down from the wilds of Aberdeenshire we have to use my car as the wife's 1.6l Golf is apparently non-compliant. It'll just be a case of avoid anywhere they try to bill me extra to drive on top of what i've already paid for the priveledge.
I'm sure it's coming to Aberdeen as well, but that would be the death knell for a town center thats already on it's backside and full of vape shops, phone repair shops, charity shops and empty shops.
I believe there's a ulez in Manchester now too but private cars are exempt at the moment, only commercial vehicles and camper vans have to pay. I can see the mayor extending it so private cars are charged at some point even though there was a referendum a while back and vehicle charging was rejected by the people. Mind you, there was also a referendum where the people voted not to have a mayor but they got one anyway.

Last edited:

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Don't forget that the London Congestion Charge applies to low-emission and ultra-low-emission vehicles !!

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
The only upshot to this (apart from the supposed cleaner air) will be that used car values for compliant cars like my Euro 6 Oil Burner will rise slightly, but those that aren't will see a reduction in value.

Expect nil change in respiratory disease though, as more folk will use the tube to get around London whilst breathing in that lovely brake dust, and iron rich particulates to small to be picked up on normal air quality checks.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Doesn't impact me, but then I dont drive into city centres too often, but arent most vehicles that have to pay the charge pretty old and knackered by now.

I think the main issue is a politician lying to get his own way once again, and he’s already had one bloody nose because of it.

foxOneFive

Corporal
Thankfully for me I've good no need to drive to our amazing capitol city. I drive an old petrol 13 plate Citroen C1 which surprised me is compliant with ulez. I think the issue is, listening to LBC radio is the poor tradesmen who need a van and are predominantly diesel they don't comply. I can see why they are more than a tad pi$$ed off. Have you seen the price of a new van

4mastacker

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Thankfully for me I've good no need to drive to our amazing capitol city. I drive an old petrol 13 plate Citroen C1 which surprised me is compliant with ulez. I think the issue is, listening to LBC radio is the poor tradesmen who need a van and are predominantly diesel they don't comply. I can see why they are more than a tad pi$$ed off. Have you seen the price of a new van
I drove past a couple of used van sales sites today. Have you seen the price of second-hand vans? They're not cheap.

Bloody glad I don't have a reason to drive into the shithole of the nation's capital city.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
So do they have to pay a ulez charge + a congestion charge?

I would think so.

I just checked my two cars, and both are OK in the ULEZ, one is an 8-year-old 1600cc DS3 diesel and the other is a 13-year- old1800cc petrol Toyota Hybrid.

Last edited:

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
I wonder how they will determine if a vehicle has entered the ULEZ.

Traffic cameras on roads entering the ULEZ?

General traffic cameras at traffic lights etc?

Will the cost of cloned plates inflate?

fourteen2two

Corporal
Cameras all around, which apparently get vandalised😀 shame!
Our cars are both ok, not that we go often. My nephew lives there just off S.circular. When we visit we can park at his place and use buses or tube to get about.
Part of Birmingham has congestion charge too, its easier to go by train for us as parking can be expensive. Only about 40 min.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
If you go into the ULEZ and park up for 7 days is that 7 days you have to pay?

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Expect nil change in respiratory disease though, as more folk will use the tube to get around London whilst breathing in that lovely brake dust, and iron rich particulates to small to be picked up on normal air quality checks.

And that is exactly why the reason for ULEZ is a big fat massive lie.

If the Mayor of London tackles air pollution where it actually exists, as opposed to taxing people where it doesn't exist, he may come across as a credible man.

Unfortunately, he demonstrates perfectly the qualities of a tin pot dictator.

dctyke

Corporal
Getting like medieval tolls. So what’s to prevent my village charging non compliant vehicles passing through? Add a charge for caravans and horse boxes whilst we are at it. A nice little earner!