• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ULEZ

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
The cameras should pick you up on the way in and out, not while parked up. So 2 payments.

The more I think about it, it has to be a mixture of entry cameras, general cameras and exit cameras otherwise people could drive in on day one with the first daily charge then drive around for X years then drive out for the second charge.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
As an aside.

A friend of mine got a speeding ticket (70 MPH) on the M1 at Sheffield in the 60 MPH 'Clean Air Zone adjacent to Meadowhell and Tinsley Viaduct.

She decided to go to court to fight the ticket.

She admitted to the speed but argued that her all-electric car couldn't be making the air less clean due to the speed she was travelling at.

She lost but actually got an official admittance that electric cars are not pollution free, the Crown stated that the increased speed used more battery power, therefore, the car would need charging sooner with the added pollution that the power station produced.

I wonder how much the VED will go up once the government loses all the tax revenue from the petrol companies.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
That Speeding zone is about tail pipe emissions, impacting the local area, not general pollution, but it doesn’t matter your friend exceeded the posted speed limit so was guilty irrespective of the reasons for the limit, I’ve been driving through a 50mph limit area on my way (and back) to one of my sites where the barrier replacement finished a couple of weeks ago, so no reason for the limit or the camera van that keeps sitting at the end of the second set of works.

There will soon be a dramatic decrease in petrol/diesel tax revenue for the government which will need to be replaced, these ULEZ zones are a start and I can see them being flipped into charging all cars zones once the dirty ones are worked out of the system, VED has already been increased for Electric Cars as the High Value rate will now catch most, but even with these there will be a big loss. Politicians are scrambling to get in first to capture tax and charges before others do, the climate scientists will find another reason

One thing I can’t get my head around is why it costs over 60p a unit at a road side charger, when the retail price of electricity is only 30p.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I think there are deeper questions here that no-one seems to ask or get answered that I can see.

The point of ULEZ/clean air charges/congestion charges is, supposedly to encourage cleaner, greener, less polluting travel and 'save the planet' & save us from pollution induced illnesses. All very laudable and desirable aims so shouldn't we all support them?

The problem is that as a country (and indeed the whole of western society) we have been fed a very potent drug for the last 60 - 70 years and that drug has been the freedom to go where we want, when we want in our own personal box on wheels with little restraint beyond our ability to pay for the running of the vehicle. Rather like a heroin or cocaine addict, we have never given much thought to the wider impacts on society or the environment beyond paying our 'dealers'.

Now that we are seeing those wider impacts more clearly we have to be weaned off the drug somehow. The charges are one means to do that (Just Stop Oil et al would happily see us all go cold turkey.....) but the best way to wean us off has to be replacing the heroin of personal transport with the methadone of far better public transport - readily available in all locations, cheap to use and less constrained by time of day & duration of travel.

So; my question is, "are all these charges now being levied being hypothecated to be exclusively used to improve public transport in the relevant areas or are they just disappearing into the bigger fiscal pot for those authorities?" What happens when the income from such charges fades away but the costs of alternatives are rising - how will such services be funded then?

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
I think there are deeper questions here that no-one seems to ask or get answered that I can see.

The point of ULEZ/clean air charges/congestion charges is, supposedly to encourage cleaner, greener, less polluting travel and 'save the planet' & save us from pollution induced illnesses. All very laudable and desirable aims so shouldn't we all support them?

The problem is that as a country (and indeed the whole of western society) we have been fed a very potent drug for the last 60 - 70 years and that drug has been the freedom to go where we want, when we want in our own personal box on wheels with little restraint beyond our ability to pay for the running of the vehicle. Rather like a heroin or cocaine addict, we have never given much thought to the wider impacts on society or the environment beyond paying our 'dealers'.

Now that we are seeing those wider impacts more clearly we have to be weaned off the drug somehow. The charges are one means to do that (Just Stop Oil et al would happily see us all go cold turkey.....) but the best way to wean us off has to be replacing the heroin of personal transport with the methadone of far better public transport - readily available in all locations, cheap to use and less constrained by time of day & duration of travel.

So; my question is, "are all these charges now being levied being hypothecated to be exclusively used to improve public transport in the relevant areas or are they just disappearing into the bigger fiscal pot for those authorities?" What happens when the income from such charges fades away but the costs of alternatives are rising - how will such services be funded then?
I’m just about to fly to Vienna, in the morning, I’ve already bought a weeks metro ticket for about £15, I can get on any bus, tram, metro or urban train for the week, and some services go 24hrs, but not that many.

I live in the London commuter zone, but not fun zone, but with my rail card I can travel cheaply an easily to and around town.

But my current project is up north, the busses stop at 6, and the trains aren’t that good at peak, so non-existent off peak, people need individual transport to exist, so charging people off the road isn’t a positive behaviour.

Put the gain in place before the pain

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Its all very laudable for the UK to want to do its bit for greener planet but while the USA , China and India carry on regardless our little efforts amount to chucking a snowball into a furnace. Spending £40K or so on a Tesla isn't going to save a single polar bear whilst they do nothing.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
295843803_10219746397601270_8482737555899158882_n.jpg

Rocket_Ronster

You ain`t seen me.
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Its all very laudable for the UK to want to do its bit for greener planet but while the USA , China and India carry on regardless our little efforts amount to chucking a snowball into a furnace. Spending £40K or so on a Tesla isn't going to save a single polar bear whilst they do nothing.
Too true.
Whilst there's murderers out there I'm not gonna stop mugging old grannies for their pension. After all, why should I improve while there's worse people out there.

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
I work north of Heathrow and a colleague who cant afford to change her motor plans to park two streets away from her parents home and walk in. My Landlord has to avoid the ULEZ daily but now and again will get a contract within ULEZ (200 metres away) and will add that to the customers bills. His wife will have to shop at another Supermarket and I may have to do a lot more of their shopping at Costco!

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
My 2.2L diesel doesn’t get charged in the Bristol CAZ, instead they thwart my efforts to reach Prince Street by simultaneously digging up all the approach roads and closing a bridge, pushing me dangerously close to a bus route and it’s costly cameras (£40 a pop) to reach my office.

Way back I was sat in the SR’s mess at Northwood, quietly eating my dinner before going on shift for the night and listening to the matelots natter. One of them was well pissed off…he’d had a £600 congestion charge bill in the post! Someone had cloned his reg and had been doing a daily run into London on his tab!