• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

UAV success in Ukraine

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The Turks have really got it right with their UAV that is small, fast, efficient...and disposable. It's proving a hit in Ukraine and was apparently used to take out the Moskva warship.

Perhaps this machine will help redefine our perception of how UAV warfare should evolve.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Well done the Turkish boffins and UAV use is seemingly the modern way forward. This also makes interesting viewing around the Black sea, Poland and the Moldova border regions. As far as I can tell it's open source stuff on the intereweb so not an OP Sec issue.

Click on the yellow aircraft and see who is doing what, yellow helicopters are also worth a gander at times. Vast majority are civ air but some surprising things up there wandering about in pretty patterns.

foxOneFive

Corporal
Would agree, interesting article about drones in Airforce monthly this month "which obviously I don't subscribe too and borrowed from a friend?" Ok propaganda aside, some of the rusky drones shot down seem like something a modelling club uses? Ok all air arms have the smaller uav's. But hats off to Turkey, that's an effective piece. Like most, just wish this mentalist rubbish will end soon FFS.

On a personal note, I love aviation and the great times I had In the mob. But only joined for a career and love of aviation.
Didn't join to kill innocent civilians just to keep the world from doing another 39-45 arse of themselves

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
So...what may be needed in future is a a fleet of heavy, high altitude bombers that releases, on demand from a mobile control centre (or three) to Armed Drone indicated targets across a wide field of observation and action...a new 'air war' entirely.
There would still be a need for fighter/combat protections, obviously.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Unless something changes with tank design then I can’t see much need for them any more.

UAs own home made drones are running at 200k a pop and are reusable and have a long loiter, the targeting drones seem to be little more than an over engineered DJI.

For about £1m quid plus semi dumb munitions you could have a very effective single area munitions delivery system, which if YouTube is anything to go by, is very effective and accurate (although I’m guessing they are not showing off all their misses).

On a more basic level there have been videos of some off the shelf drones that, with a bit of 3d printery, are also having quite a big impact on softer targets.

The larger more advanced drones appear to present a more typical and expected threat so the Russians have been quite good at knocking these out.

Cat Techie

Sergeant
Licensed A/C Eng
New Ukraine folk song. The English version is even better but age restrained.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
All wars will be fought by robots in the future!

I watched this documentary once where one actually managed to travel back in time and do harm....WTF?!

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Occassionally, given the Ukraine war, I look at what's pottering about around the black sea area and one thing that really surprised me the amount of loiter time a Global Hawk has. In the past I haven't really looked closely at the world of UAV usage but I suppose UAV = no crew fatigue and no running out of coffee and mars bars.

"The unmatched range and 30+ hour endurance allow tremendous flexibility in meeting mission requirements."
" Speed: 310 knots (357 mph), Range: 12,300 nautical miles, Endurance: more than 34 hours"

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Occassionally, given the Ukraine war, I look at what's pottering about around the black sea area and one thing that really surprised me the amount of loiter time a Global Hawk has. In the past I haven't really looked closely at the world of UAV usage but I suppose UAV = no crew fatigue and no running out of coffee and mars bars.

"The unmatched range and 30+ hour endurance allow tremendous flexibility in meeting mission requirements."
" Speed: 310 knots (357 mph), Range: 12,300 nautical miles, Endurance: more than 34 hours"
'Securing The Globe 36hrs at a Time' with the Global Hawk part of the picture hanging off the side, was the blurb at the bottom of a huge Northrop Grumman roadside billboard I used to pass to work when at Edwards.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Not everything is rosey in the world of UAV's seems the Army have parked one in the Med just off Cyprus. Oops a total of 7 down so far

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Not everything is rosey in the world of UAV's seems the Army have parked one in the Med just off Cyprus. Oops a total of 7 down so far

I just read a dit from someone about Watch Keeper. They had deployed to somewhere in Africa and all was going well until they lost comms with it. Usually not an issue as the system is programmed to RTB if it does lose comms only someone hadn't changed the data for this on deploying, so the system tried to fly back to the UK instead.

Best comment on there was the assumption that the drone was now probably being sat on by a little African lad making brum brum noises! 😂👍

Rigga

1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
Unless something changes with tank design then I can’t see much need for them any more.
Their will be a future for tanks - but the russians sent tanks in alone(?) - with no air defence or ground troops to support them.
Tanks need to have troops around them - Tanks have limited vis and cant spot the light armour of anti-tank guns/missiles

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts

Rigga

1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
Darwin Award for "Best publicised shrapnel catching"