• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Trip down Memory Lane

penfold93

Rex Craymer Man of Danger
Staff member
Subscriber
Choppers
Grifters
Commando
Raleigh BMX with blue Mag wheels (we couldnt afford one so second hand Chopper with the handle bars dropped to give it that laid back easy rider look.)

Ronco presents......
K-Tel

dessp2

SAC
Woolworths Christmas adverts that used to go on for ages.

The World Cup swaps stickers. Five in a pack with a bubble gum. No one ever seemed to have Kevin Keegan.

Kryten

Warrant Officer
Choppers
Grifters
Commando
Raleigh BMX with blue Mag wheels (we couldnt afford one so second hand Chopper with the handle bars dropped to give it that laid back easy rider look.)

Ronco presents......
K-Tel

I was the proud owner of a Raleigh Chopper. It had a 3 speed gear level in the middle that served little purpose other than to cause immense pain to your gentleman's garden every time you slammed on the anchors...

My neighbour got a BMX - a Diamond Back as I recall.......I was pig sick with jealousy for months...

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Choppers
Grifters
Commando

Ronco presents......
K-Tel

K tel didn't just do compilation top 40 lps they did all kinds of tat.jist like jml does today. As for the compilation lps. They paved the way for the Now series.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts

The World Cup swaps stickers. Five in a pack with a bubble gum. No one ever seemed to have Kevin Keegan.

1972 world cup stickers got the full set. Every Bulgarian players name ended in V.

Blue72

SAC

I had about 5 of him at one stage - no bugger would swap him out for Dalgleish though.

Being able to play tennis in the road until the shout of "CAR!" went up and we all scattered. Used to happen once an hour or so at most in the little side road we played in!
Playing in big piles of builders sand at the side of the road.
Playing in the hole the roadwork men had left at the side of the road (got absolutely covered in London clay!)
Trips to the standpipe with buckets when the water was turned off.

penfold93

Rex Craymer Man of Danger
Staff member
Subscriber
For those of a certain age - the original Star Wars figures....

I had a Diecast X wing fighter, a Dinky Eagle Interceptor from Space 1999 (£160 on ebay at the moment link ) and a Corgi Buck Rogers spaceship probably all worth hundreds of pounds now!

Last edited:

Kryten

Warrant Officer
Did you have a SHADO Interceptor from Gerry Anderson's UFO as well? The one with the big yellow missile in the nose?

ninjarabbi

Warrant Officer
I recently ordered the box set of the first series of 'UFO' from Amazon. I'd forgotten how brutal the shows were especially since the usual veiwing time was on a Saturday morning!

Mug?

Flight Sergeant
Argos

Argos

I had a Diecast X wing fighter, a Dinky Eagle Interceptor from Space 1999 (£160 on ebay at the moment link ) and a Corgi Buck Rogers spaceship probably all worth hundreds of pounds now!
Penfold I too was proud owner of an eagle and a jealous neighbour to a lad with a buck rogers starfighter!

If you can face the pain and hold back the tears check out http://retromash.com/argos/
1978 autumn page 14 £2.75 for the eagle!
Looking back I was well spoilt as a kid as I had so much stuff out the 80's toy section including the Airfix micronaughts battle cruiser which I had long forgotten about!

Kryten

Warrant Officer
I recently ordered the box set of the first series of 'UFO' from Amazon. I'd forgotten how brutal the shows were especially since the usual veiwing time was on a Saturday morning!

I remember as a kid that Space:1999 used to be on on a Saturday morning, right before World of Sport. I also remember when my Dad bought me my first Eagle transporter - it was blue and had those radioactive canisters that you could lower by a magnet on a string...

Argos, I was in the same boat - my neighbour had a Buck Rogers Starfighter. He also used to get all the Star Wars toys first - I remember one Christmas going round to his parents house and he had the Millennium Falcon and an AT-AT.......I was pig sick!

Past Engineering

Sergeant
Subscriber
Like others, the ability to go out and about without fear of kidnap, rape, pillage falling down on you, if something happened being able to knock on a strangers door for help and getting it.

Going to the Saturday matinee at the station cinema to watch the likes of the Lone Ranger.

Getting picked up by RAF police for siphoning petrol from cars to see if petrol bombs really worked having watched a film, couldn't sit down for a week after the leathering I got for a week, and the grounding for a month, kiddy winks today would run to the police these days for assault.

Taken back home by the Fire section and parents thinking we had been in trouble again, but they helped us after we got stuck somewhere on camp (memory isn't that good these days to remember details like others can)

Loads more like Nairobi, Aden as kids had a whale of a time, coupled with some scary moments, but as kids we soon got over those, very resilient in the old days, not like today when they need counselling if they see something bad on the news.