• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Travelling around London. Cheapest ticket for underground

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Going to London at the end of June (Saturday and Sunday) going to Wembley stadium from central London on Saturday and on Sunday intend to do a bit of sight seeing. What's the cheapest underground ticket to get.

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/oyster/using-oyster/price-capping

You can also be clever:

https://www.uber.com/invite/seanr7320ue

and use promo code:

[FONT=&quot]VCUK15 [/FONT]
for £15 of credit (if code doesn't work, google uber codes, there are loads of new user codes).

Then use your new refferal link for your mate(s) /family etc to join and get them to use the code for £15 worth of credit.

Also do the same with GETT (black cabs).

https://gett.com/uk/ Referral code: GTNVVKO

GETT30
FRINGE25

Again if those don't work, google for GETT new user codes.

Between 4 of us, we set up new user accounts, referred each other and using new user codes and from Friday to Sunday we never paid for an Uber or a black taxi - we took them everywhere!

Sounds a bit of hassle, but it was easy and well worth it.

Last edited:

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/oyster/using-oyster/price-capping You can also be clever: Sign up to Uber with my or a mates referral link for a free ride: https://www.uber.com/invite/seanr7320ue and use promo code: VCUK15 for £15 of credit (if code doesn't work, google uber codes, there are loads of new user codes). Then use your new refferal link for your mate(s) /family etc to join and get them to use the code for £15 worth of credit. Also do the same with GETT (black cabs). https://gett.com/uk/ Referral code: GTNVVKO GETT30 FRINGE25 Again if those don't work, google for GETT new user codes. Between 4 of us, we set up new user accounts, referred each other and using new user codes and from Friday to Sunday we never paid for an Uber or a black taxi - we took them everywhere! Sounds a bit of hassle, but it was easy and well worth it.
I went on the TFL website but couldn't make head or tails about the pricing

Lcfcfox1

LAC
I don't think that you can beat the tube for London travel. Use your contacted just like an oyster card and you only pay oyster card rates. On top of this it is capped at £7.60 per day so you can basically travel anywhere in London all day for this maximum value.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I don't think that you can beat the tube for London travel. Use your contacted just like an oyster card and you only pay oyster card rates. On top of this it is capped at £7.60 per day so you can basically travel anywhere in London all day for this maximum value.
is it automatically capped.

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
Capped - yes. £6.60 within zones 1 - 2 per day.

All of London's on rails transport (such as the Tube) is divided into a number of Zones, organised into a series of concentric circles emanating out from the centre. The Zones are indicated on this map.

• Zone 1 covers the very centre of town is home to the majority of significant tourist sites and familiar landmarks. It stretches from Notting Hill in the West to Aldgate East in the East and from Vauxhall/Elephant & Castle in the South to Kings Cross/Euston in the North.
  • Zones 2-6 stretch out way into the suburbs which make up Greater London. As a general rule, tourists rarely venture outside Zone 2 unless visiting a specific destination.

Last edited:

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I was sat in a car a couple of days ago with someone who's significant other runs this feature of TFL software wise. I used it a couple of weeks ago and it really does work in your favour. Just use your contactless and it'll charge the least it can by working out your best deal. If it gets it wrong they run a monthly audit process and they will give you the money back that you over paid.

For once its a system that works for you....

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I was sat in a car a couple of days ago with someone who's significant other runs this feature of TFL software wise. I used it a couple of weeks ago and it really does work in your favour. Just use your contactless and it'll charge the least it can by working out your best deal. If it gets it wrong they run a monthly audit process and they will give you the money back that you over paid.

For once its a system that works for you....
Nice one. The last time I was in the smoke I bought an all zone's paper ticket. I like the idea of the contactless card. Don't suppose you can use it for 2 people.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Nice one. The last time I was in the smoke I bought an all zone's paper ticket. I like the idea of the contactless card. Don't suppose you can use it for 2 people.

I think you can but I didn't need to exercise that feature. Give TFL a bell...they are usually really helpful!(0343 222 1234)

spanners

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I was in London last weekend for 4 days, purchased an Oyster card, cost £5 and put £20 credit on it.

Like others have said, it's capped to £6.60 per day (I was in zone 1), once that was spent, all other travel was free.

You can register the card on the TFL website and it shows your history and the cost.

If you have credit remaining at the end of your visit, you can get a refund, or just leave it on till the next time.

gray

Sergeant
I think you can but I didn't need to exercise that feature. Give TFL a bell...they are usually really helpful!(0343 222 1234)

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/contactless-conditions-of-use.pdf

2.6 Only one person at a time can use a contactless payment card for travel. You
may pay another person’s pay as you go fare with a contactless payment card only if
they are travelling with you and you have paid your fare by another means.

Shiny10

SAC
Travel for free

Travel for free

Reach the age of 60, purchase a house in a London Borough (even Cheam) and then travel for free including the underground on your council travel card.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Reach the age of 60, purchase a house in a London Borough (even Cheam) and then travel for free including the underground on your council travel card.
Or live somewhere else outside London and the money you save from not buying a house in the smoke, travel everywhere in a limo and cruise first class around the world.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Don't forget if you have a War Pension then you can get a free Oyster card, details on the TFL website.

Sent from my SM-T715 using Tapatalk

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
Going to London at the end of June (Saturday and Sunday) going to Wembley stadium from central London on Saturday and on Sunday intend to do a bit of sight seeing. What's the cheapest underground ticket to get.

Yep, oyster card is defo the way to go. Cheap, simple, easy to top up (there's a monkey behind the desk who can do it for you if you can't work the machines