• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top Guns - Inside the RAF

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
Episode 1 out, anybody watch?

I thought it was pretty good - although we came across as a bit of bimbling feckwits. Lots of swearing, people making mistakes, tripping up steps - lol. Jets going tits and no one knowing why. Hardly showing us as a professional fighting force. Although you could argue, this shows the human side.

I was getting on board with one of the pilots until he sounded so smug about becoming fast jet and his best mate who gave him the idea is now in car insurance - didn't think that was necessary.

And filet steak? A chef taking pride in his work? We're in fantasy land now.

Looking forward to Ep 2.

Last edited:

ERT

Corporal
Episode 1 out, anybody watch?

I thought it was pretty good - although we came across as a bit of bimbling feckwits. Lots of swearing, people making mistakes, tripping up steps - lol. Jets going tits and no one knowing why. Hardly showing us as a professional fighting force. Although you could argue, this shows the human side.

I was getting on board with one of the pilots until he sounded so smug about becoming fast jet and his best mate who gave him the idea is now in car insurance - didn't think that was necessary.

And filet steak? A chef taking pride in his work? We're in fantasy land now.

Looking forward to Ep 2.

I think talking about salary, time to promotion, explaining that the RAF isn't like the army (autocratic) would be a greater benefit. Perhaps someone telling that story and cutting into there day-to-day work life...

Obviously, these days, a Cpl is knocking on £35k+ a year salary, in some trades that's little as 3 years. As an OF, that's pretty much the same within 2 years.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
As long as it isn't as excruciating as the Inside Brize Norton series, I'll look out for the highlights when released on VHS.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Who was the matelot orrificer?
I was wondering that too. Do typhoons routinely operate of aircraft carriers? If not, why the hell is a fish-head flying one? And if so, surely there'd be more RN pilots, like there were with JFH.

And I was also wondering how many RAF officers get to drive a RN boat full time.

Cat Techie

Sergeant
Licensed A/C Eng
I was wondering that too. Do typhoons routinely operate of aircraft carriers? If not, why the hell is a fish-head flying one? And if so, surely there'd be more RN pilots, like there were with JFH.

And I was also wondering how many RAF officers get to drive a RN boat full time.
Because he is waiting for an F35? Fast Jets are fast jets. An F35 does the same shite at non hover as a tiffie. I was upset with the bloke wearing the tin opener hi viz acting as a dick. Techs have a ring about the 3 blade or has that been canned by wokeston?

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I did not like the Navy nob whoo-hooing/swearing as he taxi'd out. Get on task in your head you bellend.

Thought the rest was ok...Caught the comment when the new Tiffy pilot was described as being in the RAF 8 years and just arriving from the OCU...Some very long holds on that journey to the front line then.

Cat Techie

Sergeant
Licensed A/C Eng
I did not like the Navy nob whoo-hooing/swearing as he taxi'd out. Get on task in your head you bellend.

Thought the rest was ok...Caught the comment when the new Tiffy pilot was described as being in the RAF 8 years and just arriving from the OCU...Some very long holds on that journey to the front line then.
Pilots swear when not om PTT. Got enough head up.tape with the odd character using blue language. As for 8 years from IOT to finish OCU, yeah. The MFTS is fooked. Has been for years.

4mastacker

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
..............As for 8 years from IOT to finish OCU, yeah. The MFTS is fooked. Has been for years.

I'm almost surprised that the RAF PR people allowed that little snippet to be broadcast - hardly a positive comment. Mrs 4ma said she thought the training time used to be about 3 years when she were a WRAF.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
During my time on a tonka Sqn, we had a pilot arrive who was the first FJ pilot to go through Cranwell, Basic Flying Training, Hawk OCU and then Tonka OCU without a holding post of two or three. He'd been in around 4 years when he joined II(AC).

Cat Techie

Sergeant
Licensed A/C Eng
I'm almost surprised that the RAF PR people allowed that little snippet to be broadcast - hardly a positive comment. Mrs 4ma said she thought the training time used to be about 3 years when she were a WRAF.
It was. You can add 3 to 4 years in holding posts now.

Cat Techie

Sergeant
Licensed A/C Eng
During my time on a tonka Sqn, we had a pilot arrive who was the first FJ pilot to go through Cranwell, Basic Flying Training, Hawk OCU and then Tonka OCU without a holding post of two or three. He'd been in around 4 years when he joined II(AC).
Rare and was amazing then. The present Red 4 is a mate. His CV is on line. Joined up in 2007. He was on 31 Sqn and did a QFI tour at Valley as his only flying tours. Joined the Reds this year. His training time line was dire. 2014 he was just getting through 15 Sqn. Bloke is top for a grow bag.

Last edited:

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
You would possibly remember Ging at Colt. I am not going to shout as I have had two heart attacks and do not want a third. But nobody argued with him.
Yes - And he never bollocked an airman - he asked them who their SNCO was and took the matter up with them to issue the bollocking!