• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Time for another 'E2E' study?

Tino

LAC
I sent off a version of the following as a letter to the RAF News a while back, and have yet to recieve a reply for some reason. It will be interesting to hear other peoples opinions on the contents.I]

I was pleased to see the letter from Sgt Mark Clay in issue 1136 of the RAF News, I’m sure his comments are welcomed by many, his point about the low morale of many personnel within the ground trades should cause concern. In recent months many have been affected by E2E Studies, Leaning and amalgamation, no doubt more will be, either by loss of individual posts, whole sections, or by leaving the service due to redundancy or natural wastage. The changes occurring within most ground trades vary from mild to traumatic, the rapidity of some of these changes in the interest of saving money does smack of knee jerk reactions to political or monetary pressure, it’s only a matter of time before a few baby’s get thrown out with the bathwater.

My reason for putting pen to paper is to ask if/when the people who have made all the changes to date are to be ‘leaned’, namely the management structure and the officer corps. The collocation of the two Command Headquarters may see a reduction of manpower by 1000, but most of this manpower will be civilians who are no longer needed when one Headquarters closes. Interesting debates will no doubt follow if this letter is published; here are a few points to ponder.

Why are there 11,115 officers between the rank of Group Captain and Pilot Officer? This figure includes aircrew, who are obviously needed, yet 1166 of the 3762 Flying branch posts are non-flying duties. In the other branch posts there are 414 Group Captains, 1341 Wing Commanders, 2337 Squadron Leaders and 3263 Flight Lieutenants and below. The figures quoted above are from the RAF Appointments Register, and can be found easily enough, not included in this list is the number of officers in training or holding awaiting a posting. How many of these posts can be justifiably classed as essential cogs in the machine required to produce a cost effective operational force? The ratio of executive officers per operational airframe must cause some raised eyebrows in Whitehall; add all the pay, gratuities and pensions together over 10 years and you can easily afford a few more Typhoons or JCA’s. Why can’t some of the posts occupied by junior officers be filled by Warrant Officers or Flt Sgts who have years of experience in their field? I have found no information on the number of serving Air Officers, but judging by the amount of Group Captains on the books this number must be high.

The career structure of the officer corps can also be improved upon, why is it that officers only do 2-year tours; can this be classed as good value for money? The methods used in End to End studies is to compare the work done to a large factory, using phrases such as ‘customer’, ‘product’ and ‘materials’; continuing the theme, any civilian company worth it’s salt would bend over backwards to keep a good manager in place, and would act quickly to move on or dismiss the worst. A two year tour gives little time for development, the first six months learning the job and getting to know people leaves just 18 months of actual productivity. Officers who excel within a certain post move on all too soon, often to an area that bears little or no relationship to the post they leave behind. With competent NCOs shouldering the burden a less adept manager can keep a low profile for 2 years relatively easily. A four year tour will allow the better officer to shine through career-wise, and allow the less competent to be seen for what they are and, hopefully, correct their failings. Other benefits would be increased stability for the individual, not to mention a reduction in training and movement costs.

I read with interest the article by ACM Sir Brian Burridge in issue 1,135 of the RAF News entitled ‘RAF is adapting to new challenges’, where he made some interesting comments on the changes to the structure of the RAF currently being undertaken. He concluded by saying ‘we need a relevant Air Force; that’s relevant operationally, and relevant in an economic or a value for money sense.’ Adding ‘We need fewer, but more adaptable people.’ I have served over 26 years and like Sgt Clay have seen many changes, from the end of the Cold War to today’s E2E; adaptability and the good old 'can do' attitude have been bywords that have been applied to airmen throughout. Speaking as an engineer we have seen the demise of the Flight Line Mechanic, Direct Entrant technician and the Apprentice, the Mech(Mech) and Mech(Tech) system quickly replaced with the SAC Tech causing the loss of the J/T rank, amalgamation of TG1 trades and the re-introduction of the Flight Line Mechanic in the form of the AMM. One area that has never changed in this time is the way the officer corps functions, and to my knowledge no one has looked into it’s efficiency and effectiveness; with the future manning of the RAF giving a ratio of almost 1 officer for 2 airmen perhaps it’s time to do so now.

In the late 80’s it was said that you could get the whole of the RAF into Wembley, nowadays everyone would fit into the average Division 1 ground; but if seats were allocated by status the terraces would look empty, whilst the VIP boxes would be packed solid.

E

enginesuck

Bloody well said, echoing the sentiments of many of us, i suspect. I cant really say any more.......

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
Tino,

I think this is a wonderful letter - structure and language are perfectly ballanced with obviously researched and relevant detail that reflects the thoughts of very many serving and non-serving people.

I am sure that, even if the RAF News pass this on for a reply from Staff Officers, we should not hold our breath waiting for answers - of any sort!

Rigga

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
Tino said:
The career structure of the officer corps can also be improved upon, why is it that officers only do 2-year tours; can this be classed as good value for money?

Good point, but haven't there been times when you've been absolutely delighted that an officers tour is only 2 years. Even that seems like an eternity sometimes :pDT_Xtremez_06:

Yandards

LAC
Seems to sum up the majority of the failings in the RAF as I see them.

Until the upper echelons decide that the 'men' are not all that stupid and get rid of the Cranwellian system of breeding in a class based rank structure then I doubt very little will change.

After all why remove your brother officers when you get rid of some more of the workers?

K

kit

thats a good point, nicely written.

and officers should wear bright pink hats- so airman can see them coming and avoid them!
:pDT_Xtremez_42: hear no officer, see no officer= there is no officer!

insty66

Corporal
Top post!

Top post!

TINO
Excellent post,:pDT_Xtremez_30:
This says all the thing I want to but so much better,:pDT_Xtremez_30:
It's well researched, beautifully worded and deserves a wider audience.
I notice it has been linked to on PPrune un fortunatley the hofficers there will let the thread plummet thereby avoiding the reading and inclusion in the senior officers briefings.

If you can, please make this available to someone who can highlight just how top heavy the RAF is.
once again top post
I66

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Interesting to see, that the link has had 249 hits (as of 23.50), so people are looking................taking notice though is a different matter completely.

E

Enguineer

What a superb letter, and interesting to see that the way that the person on PPRUNE who wrote this:
This is just another tedious, badly-written squaddie moan of the usual 'officers useless, squaddies fantastic' ilk that fills E-Goat, so it's no wonder he hasn't had a reply.

....Was shot down in flames. Even more interesting that he considers us to be 'Squaddies'.

This letter just sums up what I have known for a very long time, we as a modern Air Force are very top heavy.

M

monobrow

it is a well justified and well researched post. unfortunately i think it will fall on deaf ears as the officer breed don't want sacking.

But once we get rid of alot of workers and are left with mostly management, who's going to manage to get the work done??

Just had a look at the thread on pprune...... mixed views (well one stupid one) but the majority agree. C'mon RAF News!!! put it in the letters section with an unbiased reply.

If anyone wants to read the replys on pprune, click this -> http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=217465

Last edited:

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I was in tears when I read Tino's post.
"Never has so much been written about so many by so few."
With so little result.

Nice post Tino...:pDT_Xtremez_30:

Tino

LAC
Thanks for the feedback so far, comments made in the thread on pprune in particular have been very interesting. I am very conscious of the fact that some people would knock the point I am trying to make as the ‘ramblings of the disaftected’, and for that reason wrote in what I considered to be a neutral tone.

Since Jul 99 I’ve been working on the GR4 Sqn that ‘leads the field’ in aircrew/groundcrew co-operation. At the end of the day we’re all trying to achieve the same aim, and I regard many of the past and present officers who served on the Sqn as friends. Sure, as you go through you career you get your to$$ers, some have stripes on there shoulders others have chevrons or propellers, no doubt some people will think that of me, that’s just the way it is. The comment in pprune by Zoom that this is the whinge of a disgruntled NCO is way off the mark, still, he’s entitled to his opinion.

Last edited:
F

FATFUDD

Well Done Tino

Well Done Tino

Wonderful, Excellant

Wow fantastic, and from the boyz in the sand having to listen to toff's telling us our jobs we found it damn inspiring, if only you would get an honest reply. If you don't hear anything I would consider either one of two options

A: Keep sending the letter each week until they send you a reply

B: If getting no response from the RAF News, put everything on the line and send it to the National Newspapers and Buisness Magazines, then you be sure to get a reply, and it would highlight the problems to the UK about the stae of there military.

You go for it I would as would everyone who has viewed this thread back you up 100% and t hey can't touch you as it is stating fact and your freedom of expression.

Thank you for great post and letting the world know the truth.

:pDT_Xtremez_14: :pDT_Xtremez_30: :pDT_Xtremez_28:

wobbly

E-goat Head *****
Administrator
Well done Tino for having the balls to question it all. I can agree with some comments over on pprune such as the fact that we are the only force that sends our officers into battle.....as well as having a Regiment doing a bit of ass kicking on the ground.

Don't you listen to Zoom either, your post is very well written and to the point. He is apparently a civilian who has never been in the Forces but see's fit to add his comments on something that doesn't concern him in the least. I can understand our commissioned officers getting defensive about this subject but surely there should be more lower ranking officers and less higher ranking officers as 400+ Groupies is a tad on the large size now isnt it?.

Thats approxiametely the same amount of propulsion tradesmen left in the RAF today :) but hey I'm not biased at all.

:pDT_Xtremez_09:

Last edited:
M

May Contain Peanuts

Well done

Well done

Nincely written Tino.

Was perusing the linked page on PPrune these little gems stood out.

"Actually 1 Wg Cdr to 10 SAC actually seems quite a good ratio." - Really?!

"But plaudits that Tipo has received about his writing style are not warranted and therein lies his problem. The impression that his letter gives me is of another whinge in a long list of whinges by a disgruntled NCO; I might be right or I might be wrong, but that is the way the letter strikes me. If he doesn't want it to give that impression and wants it to be taken seriously, he should make it briefer, correct his facts, get rid of the cattiness - and then get one of those many under-employed (staff) officers to rewrite it properly for him" - thats from Zoom ,who seems to disagree with you vehemently, says, also seems to be indicating that he is not military - so why he can have such a strong opinion about it I do not know.

"One of the reasons we are so 'top heavy' in comparison to the other services is that the vast majority of our actual warfighters are officers (pilots / navs) - this is not true of either the Navy or the Army. The reasons why every pilot or nav is an officer have been done to death on here before and I won't kick that one off again, but the RAF draws it's executive from these branches also, adding to the perception of top-heaviness.

"Agree about E-Goat - many posting there seem to have little understanding about the Officer Corps - although I also agree there seem to be a great many bluntie O's (AND sneks) in not-entirely-necessary and self-justifying jobs nowadays" - Perhaps somebody who has a PPrune account can ask '16 Blades' to come on E-goat and educate those with "little understanding about the Officer Corps"

But my personal fave

"Zoom, your comment smacks to me of someone who was more bothered with the 'Officer Lifestyle' than the interest of the service. People with attitudes like that, I can (and often do) do without.
You should open your eyes sometime and have a look around, but I get the feeling you are somewhat of an ostrich. " - Well said that man

PS I know I could have linked to the page but I wanted to highlight some of my favourite comments.

PPS - its a sodding CAKE

Last edited:
Although the RAF is definately 'top heavy', espcially at senior officer ranks, this is more of a sign of the times then anything else. It is not unique to the RAF, just look at the NHS!!

One of the reasons for more JOs is more likely to be to save money, rather than the more expensive option you indicate. A graduate JO will serve (on average) 6 years from completing IOT to retiring on a Short Sevice Comission. There will be no gratuity, and a preseved pension (at 60). This is cheap disposable manpower and easy for the accountants. The RAF will argue this offers flexability etc etc and they can then pick the best to be signed on for a PC. Sadly, this is not the case and the only extensions to comissions have been for a couple of aircrew in that 18 months or so.

The number of Aircrew in ground jobs is very relevant, but as we know aircrew look after each other.

The problems in the modern day RAF are not unique, it is important not to forget that.