• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Thought about Re-Joining?

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
More are vets than serving on this site (recent poll suggested 60:40 split)

Of the ones who left young enough to go back in has anyone done that? Have you left and not stopped yearning for bland food since?

Either thinking about it or actually done it lets hear your thoughts?

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
More are vets than serving on this site (recent poll suggested 60:40 split)

Of the ones who left young enough to go back in has anyone done that? Have you left and not stopped yearning for bland food since?

Either thinking about it or actually done it lets hear your thoughts?

I toyed with the Auggies about 18 months after leaving, missing the bants etc.

Now, I wouldn't even consider it, I work with a few ex-mil and we have a right laugh, no way would I go back to being SAC-worthless being talked down to by some guys who I wouldn't trust to open a can of beans that was already open and spending more time on useless BS than the job I actually joined up to do.

I look back on my time in the RAF with (mostly) happiness, I learnt a lot, got some great training, met some great people, went to some interesting places; but that part of my life is over, the chapter is closed and I've moved on.

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
I'd be interested to hear from those who've left, then rejoined, then realised what a stupid idea it was...and what made them realise it!

I know of a few who've left at their pensionable point, then come back in as FTRS (mental! Same bullshieite but with even less perks!)

Gonterseed

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
When I left the hanger door was firmly slammed shut. In fact it was only when I spotted e-goat a couple of years ago that I re-kindled a bit of interest. Like MontyP, I work with several ex-forces and there is enough banter to fill the gap, so as to speak.

I am a CI at local air cadets but I don't consider that to be anything like being in the mob and the uniformed staff tend to irritate me. Perhaps that's because of my inner Victor Meldrew - but that's another story.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I'd be interested to hear from those who've left, then rejoined, then realised what a stupid idea it was...and what made them realise it!

I know of a few who've left at their pensionable point, then come back in as FTRS (mental! Same bullshieite but with even less perks!)

It would also be interesting to find out which category was in the majority
Those that pvrd and regretted it or those who did their time and came back.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I know someone who PVR'd because he hated the RAF and went to Saudi. (Why do people do it?) Hated Saudi by the bucketfull and came back and rejoined the RAF, only to rediscover why he hated it and left in the first place.

He is now a professional Bellend in York.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I know someone who PVR'd because he hated the RAF and went to Saudi. (Why do people do it?) Hated Saudi by the bucketfull and came back and rejoined the RAF, only to rediscover why he hated it and left in the first place.

He is now a professional Bellend in York.

I know a pilot who did exactly that...he also found out that in Saudi they didn't adore him as much as he expected (just hired help) so he rejoined...not sure if he's hacked it or not.

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
My mate recently rejoined for the second time. I bet that was an interesting interview point at Cranwell.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

PraiseBacon

Sergeant
My mate recently rejoined for the second time. I bet that was an interesting interview point at Cranwell.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

He he can blag his way back in for a third time after leaving twice (is that what you meant by rejoined twice?) - then he is wasted on the RAF and should join an investment bank - 90% of them are bull****ters, and move every couple of years to stay one step ahead of being axed

;-)

4everAD

Sergeant
I can barely muster the excitement/motivation to stay in the RAF, let alone leave to then join up again! That has to be the worst kind of torture reserved in hell for people like Hitler etc.

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Now I have left, in my current job, I have to go back and work with the RAF every few months.. and when I do - it reminds me why I left.

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
Now I have left, in my current job, I have to go back and work with the RAF every few months.. and when I do - it reminds me why I left.

I know what you mean. I work along USVF and they are bad enough, but the few RAF that are in my location remind me that I am not only glad to have left but also I couldn't have timed it better if I tried. Being a civilian, at least I am able to, erm, put them right on a few things, shall we say....?

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
Even before this latest fluster cuck I had worked for four years in a senior position within a large contractor based at Marham.

Whilst I understood the RAF had changed since I left some ten years earlier, I saw exactly the same Shoite then as when I left...only the language had changed (and some fitness levels and the standard of Creases!)

Morale was plummeting (but it was Marham) and, in my civilian view, there were loads of 'issues' not being addressed.

I spent four years battling with the hossifers Glass Ceiling where Not Invented Here stopped all improvements and even attempted enforcements of RAF regulations on the RAF...they just didn't want to know. In the end I decided to join their ethos and just took the (rather good) money and shares while actually doing nothing productive for two years.

The only person I ever saw return into the reserves was an ex-plumer who, until then, I thought had more common sense. He did have some sense - but only because he would actually make more money than BAE was paying him.

I wouldn't rejoin then and I certainly wouldn't recommend anyone rejoining now.

If you're a Civvy now, get used to it!

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I briefly gave the Auggies a thought over the lure of £10k over 4 years for attendance as a reservist. I left without ceremony after 30 years and smelled fresh air. I was well done with the military when I left and I suspect many serving members are equally pooped off with the present shafting they are getting right now.

Mag2grid

Corporal
Full time - not now. When I left I longed for it, now I see NEM, more civilianisation of trades, people I did IOT with leaving in their droves.

Auggies - been one for 2 years now and I enjoy it. I dip into the old life for 18 hours a month, see the best parts, banter, team ethos, like minded people, knowing if I every get bored its one form and I'm out.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Don't really know where to start here..... 😉. I do what I like doing... What can I say?

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Does joining the Auggies feel like re-joining or something quite different? I suppose this also harks back to the thread a while ago about Auggies feeling accepted by regulars...

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
When you do join the Auggies do you have to join as an erk and start from scratch or are you assessed and 'promoted' to a position similar to your demob rank?

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Does joining the Auggies feel like re-joining or something quite different? I suppose this also harks back to the thread a while ago about Auggies feeling accepted by regulars...

Have to say, most regulars I meet look miserable as hell with their lot. Let's put it like this. I do it for the fun and the good times and quite naturally, so does pretty much everyone else. It's not about money or a career. If I felt like half of the regulars look, I'd leave. That's how I felt before I left last time around.

Mag2grid

Corporal
Have to say, most regulars I meet look miserable as hell with their lot. Let's put it like this. I do it for the fun and the good times and quite naturally, so does pretty much everyone else. It's not about money or a career. If I felt like half of the regulars look, I'd leave. That's how I felt before I left last time around.

Seconded. Did a major exercise last year and encountered the same thing. Admittedly when confronted with an uber keen Auggie who is only too happy to do a s*** or bone job just to be involved it can a bit of a mind screw for regulars I've found (speaking as an ex regular with auxiliary pers augmenting a sqn).