• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The words have changed??

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Prompted by the other thread bringing back memories of the 1970's RAF i thought i would start this...
Back at Christmas i was given a modern copy of a dictionary of RAF slang first published in 1945. Some of the words and phrases I can remember still being heard in the 1970's, some of them were long fallen into disuse, but I wonder how many of the following other goaters remember or can guess? Are any still in use or have they been replaced by something new?

I'll leave it a couple of days and then put the answers up.

black-outs
brown job
clock basher
dedigitate
duff gen
fizzer
fruit salad
Queen Bee
rooty medal
wanks

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
black-outs - Guess that means your room curtains
brown job - Army
clock basher - Don't know avid time keeper
dedigitate - Don't know
duff gen - false information
fizzer - charge 252
fruit salad - a collection of medals
Queen Bee - head WRAF on station
rooty medal - Don't know
wanks - don't know but probably not the obvious

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
black-outs - Guess that means your room curtains
brown job - Army
clock basher - Don't know avid time keeper
dedigitate - Don't know
duff gen - false information
fizzer - charge 252
fruit salad - a collection of medals
Queen Bee - head WRAF on station
rooty medal - Don't know
wanks - don't know but probably not the obvious

Fruit Salad > Fruit Segment > Flight Sgt?

Queen Bee is also given to the married patch Wife who thinks she's the best of them all.

No lie, actually got told off by some clueless Flight Ops Fit Lt for referring to the WO as Wobbly......:pDT_Xtremez_07:

Last edited:

SAXAVORDIAN

Sergeant

Queen Bee is also given to the married patch Wife who thinks she's the best of them all.
Wasn't this also referring to the leader of the Mafioso wives of hen pecked husbands on the Marriage Quarters.

No lie, actually got told off by some clueless Flight Ops Fit Lt for referring to the WO as Wobbly......:pDT_Xtremez_07:
I remember the same stories from the eighties

Are El

LAC
Does anybody still say goppin?

I was one also who didn't endear myself to my seniors by refering to the warrant officer as the wobbly and to one of our commisioned brethren as Mr Nice but Dim.

rocket scientist

Sergeant
Duff Gen, Fizzer and Fruit Salad are definitely still used, as are classics such as "Gadaffi".

Many moons ago, we had a FS at Marham go off the rails because everybody used to leave Fruit salad wrappers everywhere. What really sent him over the edge though, was when someone got a scrap car from the motor club, paint it in pink/yellow and dump it in his parking slot.

It's the Army ones that I've always liked such as "shutters parade" meaning being at the (NAAFI) bar for when the shutters go up.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
The answers....

The answers....

[table]
[TR]
[TD]black-outs
[/TD]
[TD]WAAF knickers (specifically the navy-blue winter-weights, the lighter coloured summer-weights being ‘twilights’)
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]brown job
[/TD]
[TD]soldier
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]clock basher
[/TD]
[TD]Instrument maker or repairer (as a trade)
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]dedigitate
[/TD]
[TD]pull your finger out
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]duff gen
[/TD]
[TD]false information
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]fizzer
[/TD]
[TD]charge
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]fruit salad
[/TD]
[TD]large number of medal ribbons
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Queen Bee
[/TD]
[TD]Either the OC WAAF at a unit or a radio controlled unmanned aircraft used for ground too air target practice
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]rooty medal
[/TD]
[TD]Long Service Medal
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]wanks
[/TD]
[TD]strong liquor
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/table]

I can remember brown job, dedigitate, duff gen fizzer & fruit salad being in use but the rest were all new to me. Can you imagine saying you'd had some wanks with the Queen Bee???

I know that WRAF knickers were still a scaled item in the '80s but I don't remember ever seeing or issuing any when I ran a clothing store - who, I wonder, was the last serving female to wear them?

Mustang

Corporal

Many years ago in II (AC) Sqn the WO Eng had the call sign Wobbly Orange. Very subtle.