• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The new carriers

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Amazing how an article dated Jan 11 2017 can have comments going back to February 2016.

Seems like a bit of a weird kludge to simply smash a load of helicopters in and go "Ta-da, it's got aircraft on it!".

Also, 'expecting' to have F-35Bs on it by 2023 doesn't seem a guarantee in any shape or form.

Strange question, but does anyone know if the RAF F-35Bs, with RAF pilots, on these Navy carriers will be looked after by RAF techs?

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
RAF F-35Bs, with RAF pilots, on these Navy carriers will be looked after by RAF techs?

I understand "looking after" any F35 is a fairly generic exercise anyway

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
C version. Doesn't affect ours.

The reputation does.

You would expect the designers / manufacturers to have all the knowledge / data available to be able to make the nose gear strut work properly, after all the US has only been operating cat & trap fast jets for six decades or so.

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
Seems like a bit of a weird kludge to simply smash a load of helicopters in and go "Ta-da, it's got aircraft on it!".

Also, 'expecting' to have F-35Bs on it by 2023 doesn't seem a guarantee in any shape or form.

Strange question, but does anyone know if the RAF F-35Bs, with RAF pilots, on these Navy carriers will be looked after by RAF techs?

Each Sqn both RAF and Navy will take their turn on the carrier, the RAF Sqn will indeed have their aircrew and groundcrew onboard just like we did with the Harrier. I imagine their will be an amount of jointery on the Sqn's too.

Kryten

Warrant Officer
It would be interesting to see what would happen in the event this takes place... (LINK)

You could potentially end up with the world's largest helicopter carriers.....or a very expensive bill to fit catapults to the ships.....then there's the training issue...

Each Sqn both RAF and Navy will take their turn on the carrier, the RAF Sqn will indeed have their aircrew and groundcrew onboard just like we did with the Harrier. I imagine their will be an amount of jointery on the Sqn's too.

Sqns will have a mix of pers at 55/45% RAF/RN or vice versa depending on the badge. I do hope 617 enjoy their planned 9 month embarkation in 2018!

Thanks for the replies. Very interesting indeed.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Been hanging out with the Andrew all this week...That's long enough to remind me why I joined the RAF way back...Its going to drive them nuts being stuck in a tin can with all the whistles, pipes, colours, beards etc etc etc...

Gilbert

LAC
Sqns will have a mix of pers at 55/45% RAF/RN or vice versa depending on the badge. I do hope 617 enjoy their planned 9 month embarkation in 2018!

Must not bite..

I know this is a rumour site and all and I can't help it. But you're way off, I'll be out the RAF by the time they want me onboard.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I'd be more impressed with pushing around the faux GSE that's it'll need to keep it going.

dctyke

Corporal
I'm sure I read recently that the carrier will be classed the same as an base so sqns and personnel will be actually posted to it for the tour duration. Whatever rates/money one gets for being on detachment will not apply. Maybe someone out there has further details on this?

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I'm sure I read recently that the carrier will be classed the same as an base so sqns and personnel will be actually posted to it for the tour duration. Whatever rates/money one gets for being on detachment will not apply. Maybe someone out there has further details on this?

News to me if so.

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Are they?

People are basing this 'fact' on what was seen on one computer monitor.

It says Bisto on the outside of lots of buses but that doesn't mean they are full of gravy.

OK - lets have some definitive proof its not then.. available evidence currently points to it is. The fact that Fallon hasn't categorically denied it, instead preferring to say that it is protected doesn't help your argument. happy to be proven wrong.. so lets have some proof.