• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The German Grand Prix

Killer Queen

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
Hockenheim is situated in Baden Wurttenburg in South Eastern Germany
The original track was opened in 1932 made up of the roads running through the forest for racing of motorcyles. Formula one arrived in 1970 further to a decision by the drivers to boycott the race at Nurburgring unless there were major changes. The race returned to Nurburgring until 1977 when it once again come to Hockenheim were it remained until 2006 with the exception of 1985.
In the early 2000’s F1 officials demanded that the track be shortened and threatened to remove the event altogether from the calendar in favour of the newer circuits entering the market. A redesign was undertaken and the first race to take place after the revamp was the 2002 GP. Whilst the stadium section remaind mainly unchanged incorporating the new Gandstands sponsored by Mercedes Benz, other changes included a new suface (Asphalt) and a tighter turn 1 (Nordkurve). However this was minor compared to the dramatic shortening of the track to its current 2.82 miles (4.574km). This was completed by the loss of the forest section in favour of more tight corners. Whilst the redesign was controversial and came in for a large amount of critiscism the new tight hairpin following the long back straight offers overtaking possibilities.

attachment.php

Fact File
The circuit has a capacity of 120,000 and a laps itself consists of 13 corners (unlucky for some) and runs for 67 laps .
The lap record is currently held by Kimi Raikonnen at 1:13:780 set in a McLaren in 2004
The pole record is held by M. Schumacher – 1:13:306 Ferrari 2004
The last pole was recorded by Kimi Raikonnen 1:14:070 in a McLaren 2006
The Grand Prix has been won the most number of times by Michael Schumacher with the most successful constructor being a tie between Williams and Ferrari.
The race was last Held in 2006 with the following results:
1st Michael Schumacher (GER) Ferrari
2nd Felipe Massa (BRA) Ferrari
3rd Kimi Raikonnen (FIN) McLaren

Attachments

• image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 0

I Look Like Kevin Costner

Grand Prix fanatic..
Nice start mate..

Hockenhiem.. Used to be two mega long curving straights diving into the forests, connected by a pit straight and the Ost Curve at the eastern end (it wouldn't be Ost if it wasn't!).

Hockenhiem was where Jim Clark as killed in 1968 (in a Lotus) during an F2 race in the April. Afterwards two chicanes were added to break up the striaghts, followed shortly afterwards by the building of the Staduim section were 100,000 Air Horn blasting Boxheads could pay homage to the "Schumi" twenty years down the line. The Ost Curve was sanizited by another chicane after the death of Patrick Depailler in 1980 in an Alfa Romeo during testing.
As KQ has stated, the curcuit was brutally cut in shape and length in the early 2000's (It was almost as fast as Monza and the old Silverstone, the cars running tea tray wings).

Time for some of the more interesting funnies.

Eliso Salazars kick boxing lesson (courtesy of the then WDC)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_Y0aBeEJro

The Ex Merc Employee that totally screwed up DC in 2000

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROVRmEp3j7E

Rubens breaks his monkey in the same race!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XocDB1eYLLo&feature=related

And a nice compilation of the last 15 races there!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjbBZa9rgCc

It will be a close race if testing was anything to go by!

Last edited:

Killer Queen

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
Thanks ILLKC

I however did get at leat one you tube clip and picture linked.

Roll on this weekend.

KQ:pDT_Xtremez_30:

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
I've got to admit that I was disappointed when the original Hockenheim cicuit was emaciated down to a shadow of its former self. It was always one of my favourite tracks on the F1 GP games on the PC. The combination of drag races down the long straights and tight infield made the setup difficult, with little or no wing for speed on the straights the infield had to be tip-toed around.

Grand Prix fanatic..
Lap of the Chimps!

Lap of the Chimps!

I went to Hockenhiem in 88. Senna took the p8ss out of Prost all weekend. It was possibly one of the most boring races I have been too. 88 was the last year of the turbos and if it wasn't a Mclaren (bar Monza) you were not going to get higher than second (Monza, it was third as that was a Tifosi 1&2). It was a two by two race, two Mclarens, two Ferrari's, two Arrows...

The funniest thing about that race was during the first lap. It was raining and everybody was staring on wets. Well almost everybody! I had my trusty SLR and was taking photos from the perimeter fence of the cars streaming through the Ost Curve (where we had positioned ourselves, as I was too pikey to pay the staduim prices). As I turned back to join my mate, he pointed back to the track. Piquet's Lotus 100T was limping along with its left hand sidepod ripped open. He was the WDC at the time and had decided that he would be clever and put on slicks! I have somewhere got a picture of the background tyre barrier at the Ost Curve chiane with the poor Lotus rammed up into it!

Last edited:

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
Nice thread intro.
Sorry for my recent absence, all due to BT arseing up my internet switch over to my new gaffe.::/:

Do I recall correctly or is Hockenheim where Mika Hakkinen retired from a race and went and sat in the hedge crying his eyes out?

Used to be fantastic, long straights, minimal wings...............

Grand Prix fanatic..
Nice thread intro.
Sorry for my recent absence, all due to BT arseing up my internet switch over to my new gaffe.::/:

Do I recall correctly or is Hockenheim where Mika Hakkinen retired from a race and went and sat in the hedge crying his eyes out?

Monza 1999??

We love Tea trays!cup of corrrfeeecup of corrrfeee

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
Monza then, I stand corrected!::p:

Still, Hockenheim was awesome until they made it into a kiddies go kart track!

Studley dangerfcuk

Flight Sergeant
Lewis on pole and it looked like he had a bit in reserve, Massa second and Kovi third.

Sorry MM but Raikonen was sixth behind Alonso and Trulli.

If nothing else this season looks like its going down to the wire and were only half way through. A damp weekend on the cards. (I really think they should install sprinklers on all tracks).

I dont think Alonso or Trulli will play a part as they are running light on fuel.

Outcome for the race:

I dont think Massa has the all round package (driver or car) to beat Lewis or Kovi. Massa if he has a good race will be third, but if Raikonen gets his act together will be third.

Ferrari are going to have to get their act together if they want the drivers championship. Both their drivers are good, but they are taking points off each other. Shumacher always wanted to be No.1 driver and the other driver had to second best.

I wonder if driver orders will come into play shortly.

Studley :pDT_Xtremez_06::pDT_Xtremez_28:

Last edited:

Grand Prix fanatic..
Lewis looks like he has the pace to do a double tomorrow. It was good to see Kimi have a bit of a mare. Kimi can now try and prove MM correct with "a burn from the stern!":pDT_Xtremez_31: (Clive James comment on the review video, on Watsons Belguim win in 82!)

Autosport have had a look at the next 4 tracks. Only Spa is possibly Ferrari friendly (hopefully it will be raining then!)

Killer Queen

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
I really do hope the team have not screwed this up for LH. I appreciate the comments about doing 28 laps on soft tyres but. It is almost too hard to watch!

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
I really do hope the team have not screwed this up for LH. I appreciate the comments about doing 28 laps on soft tyres but. It is almost too hard to watch!

But soooooo many commercial breaks :pDT_Xtremez_25:

Kimi seems to have come alive after the SC, and Alonso is probably incandescent with anger.