• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The 'Freedom Day' Thread

Will you keep wearing a Mask After the 19th?

• No

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Yes...just as I did before the 19th July

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Yes...on public transport and busy public places

Votes: 10 55.6%

• Total voters

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Bo-Jo has stated that on current course we will be getting rid of most if not all of the Covid restrictions. Do you buy into this approach? Is it really 'if not now then when?' Will you embrace the reduction and dance naked in the streets?

Let's hear your thoughts.

Hot Shoes

Corporal
Yes, in shops. I don't use public transport but I would if I did.

Stopped wearing a mask at work as the policy there is not required if double jabbed, no scientific or medical reasoning by management but people seem happy.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
I'll do what the rules require me to do, which will hopefully be nothing, If I have a cold or flu in future I might wear a mask, but probably not. I'd been holding off booking a UK holiday, but went made the booking yesterday based on all the positive noise at the weekend, not sure if I want to financially commit to the Snowboarding Trip in Feb just yet.

I understand that there will be plenty of people for which the loosening will be a worry, however, they are never going to get over it if they never move on, I can see a lot of angriness, a bit like ex smokers ranting at smokers.

I did advise one of my GMs to be a bit slow in ripping out all the measures in place, ie not on freedom day, to allow people to settle back in gently.

They've got to do something about non symptomatic isolation, quaranteen and support for parents, as that has always caused more problems for employers than people being sick.

Last edited:

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
I will continue to carry a mask and wear it if I feel uncomfortable in situations like 'crowded' shops, etc. My life, my judgement. I've also had a deep rumbling cough since I came out of hospital (in February) and that makes others around me nervous too. (Doc's are still investigating it!)

I believe a lot of individuals will be looking after themselves first - and, hopefully, eventually settling down to a normality. There's a lot of low-level anxiety to get rid of....

Dirge

LAC
I went on public transport (train & tube) for the first time yesterday in a long time and would estimate around 10% of commuters were not wearing masks with most of those not displaying any identification to say they were exempt, the staff didn't pick anybody up on it so until I start to see the infected numbers start to drop down following the rapid rise after freedom day then I will continue to wear one on transport and in shops etc even though Ive been double jabbed.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
With flu and common cold infections down coinciding with wearing masks, it seems that it isn't only the spread of Covid that has been affected.

Will I carry on wearing a mask - YES & I have had both my inoculations.

I still haven't seen anything official to tell us that being fully inoculated prevents us spreading Covid, can anyone confirm, one way or another ?

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Freedom day won't happen in the sense people want it to be. Two weeks in and it'll be lockdown part whatever until March of next year. Probably.

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
I doubt the MOD will drop the current requirements on the 19th anyway -but I guess we'll see. Almost guaranteed to be a spike in cases following the easing of restrictions, and it's highly likely there'll be a new variant floating around by Xmas. But this thing is here to stay - I think it's very doubtful we're going to get rid of it entirely.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
With the 'Lambda (Peruvian) Variant' raising its ugly head how will our inoculations and travel restrictions stand up to this variant ?

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
I still haven't seen anything official to tell us that being fully inoculated prevents us spreading Covid, can anyone confirm, one way or another ?

It reduces it, probably, you can still catch it, your body just fights it better after the vaccination, or if you’ve already had it, but you could still be a spreader whilst your body is doing the fighting bit.

No more self isolation soon…

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I will continue to carry a mask and wear it if I feel uncomfortable in situations like 'crowded' shops, etc. My life, my judgement.
Same here if I have the choice and I feel the situation warrants it I will wear one, if not I won't. It will be nice to be in control after such a long time of following the government rules. Stand by for street litter to be mainly composed of discarded masks.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I don’t use public transport so not a concern. When I go shopping there’s plenty of ‘exempts’ and under the chin mask wearers already. I’m double jabbed and had it plus I’m not going back to anyone vulnerable so bottoms to it…I shall shop sans a mask.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Face masks help prevent you from infecting others, so wearing one will not save you if you are in a crowded area full of non-masked up folk who havent had the jabs. I'll probably keep wearing one in crowded places until such time as the cases fall.

I'm wondering what the approach will be at my place of work wrt isolating - particularly with those who have declined a jab. At the moment, all isolating is on full pay with no sickness triggers. I cant see us sticking with that for much longer, as its given anyone who fancies a few days off licence to say "i've got covid symptoms", shuffle their feet about getting a test and then come back a week later once they get their negative result.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
There’s already been a few tribunals where people have leant a little bit too heavily on the COVID situation, and they’ve not gone their way. Where people have been reasonable they have tended to have won their case.

There’s already protection in place for those who can’t medically have the jab, so I’d expect there to be some ‘fundamental belief’ arguments yet to be tested.

StickyFingers

Sergeant
The whole lockdown was supposed to save the NHS from being overwhelmed, and it did.

We're testing everyone under the sun 4 or 5 times a week, but the deaths have dropped and so have hospital admissions.

I'm looking forward to being stuck behind some fat diabetic daffodil lanyard wearing attention-seeking Karen dragging a Draeger rebreather around Aldi tutting at the non-mask wearing folk for endangering her health.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I'm looking forward to being stuck behind some fat diabetic daffodil lanyard wearing attention-seeking Karen dragging a Draeger rebreather around Aldi tutting at the non-mask wearing folk for endangering her health.
Ah the modern world in which we live. Such folk exist

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts

The whole lockdown was supposed to save the NHS from being overwhelmed, and it did.

We're testing everyone under the sun 4 or 5 times a week, but the deaths have dropped and so have hospital admissions.
Meanwhile, people are struggling to get face to face appointments with GP's and 7 million people have gone without treatment or operations, adding to an already existing backlog.

Everyone protected the NHS and stopped it being overwhelmed so the great hulking, money sapping organisation needs to drag itself out of bed and stand up to the task it's supposed to do.

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
With flu and common cold infections down coinciding with wearing masks, it seems that it isn't only the spread of Covid that has been affected.

Will I carry on wearing a mask - YES & I have had both my inoculations.

There's the rub. Big struggle to guess what flu strains will be targeted