• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

TG1 Retention again

TG4 Sgt, 2 children, £30 odd a day LOA.

House back in the UK rented out, therefore nil cost. Just salary, child benefit and LOA. Husband doesn't work. Take home, post tax, £3300 a month. That's enough..

Do you struggle for volunteers at your unit?

Gilbert

LAC
They promised an answer by the end of the month, so only a few days to go.

Latest rumour (Who doesn't love a good rumour) I've heard is from a mate of a mate, who met an SP in a bar who works at the EPAT team.

£30k taxed which is split into 2 payments, announced this month and can apply via HR from announcement and 1st payment is from this Aprils pay packet.

2nd Payment is a year later, 3 years RTS and the real nugget was that you sign that you can't PVR in that 3 year period. So no PVRing at the 2 year point and leave 1 day after the 3 years RTS is up. So you'll have to PVR after your 3 year RTS is up.

So essentially they have you for 4 years. Or you have to pay it back.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
2nd Payment is a year later, 3 years RTS and the real nugget was that you sign that you can't PVR in that 3 year period. So no PVRing at the 2 year point and leave 1 day after the 3 years RTS is up. So you'll have to PVR after your 3 year RTS is up.

Oh that is very sneaky if true. Meanwhile in the real world I'm doing an MSc in electronic systems engineering at zero cost (our budget for training is over £3M per annum in Engineering alone) to myself (£6k a year for 5 years) bonuses, and no grumbles if I decide to leave, gain a load more experience and come back again within 5 years.

Cat Techie

Sergeant
Licensed A/C Eng
And there am I, sitting at NCL doing more work than the local RYR guy for half the money. (In my best David Stirling actor accent)

Last edited:

Gilbert

LAC
Oh that is very sneaky if true. Meanwhile in the real world I'm doing an MSc in electronic systems engineering at zero cost (our budget for training is over £3M per annum in Engineering alone) to myself (£6k a year for 5 years) bonuses, and no grumbles if I decide to leave, gain a load more experience and come back again within 5 years.

It may mean a lot to some, but I'm happy where I'm at as I still have over 5.5 years to go. I'll take it and then crack on to my pension point.

I'm half way up the Sgt pay scale, I've completed the free foundation degree scheme offered by EPAT and I've applied for the top up to Bachelors. I'm just fluffing my nest to the point I can leave at my first available pension point, so if the RAF want to give me an extra £30k then they can crack on.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
It may mean a lot to some, but I'm happy where I'm at as I still have over 5.5 years to go. I'll take it and then crack on to my pension point.

I'm half way up the Sgt pay scale, I've completed the free foundation degree scheme offered by EPAT and I've applied for the top up to Bachelors. I'm just fluffing my nest to the point I can leave at my first available pension point, so if the RAF want to give me an extra £30k then they can crack on.
If it already fits into your 'Exit Strategy' then yes it's a no brainer. However, there will be folk teetering on the edge who could probably do very well on the outside but could be swayed by this, and potentially miss out on something better.

I have 3yrs left to my 20/40 point as of 4 days ago. Done my FdEng, finished my BEng top up last year (highly highly recommend Portsmouth Uni, 10x better than experience with Staffs Uni). I was thinking I would take the FRI and do a couple of extra months to get to April 2027 to say I've done the required 3yrs.

But if I can't submit my ET to leave at exactly 20/40 + 3months and start claiming my EDP then I doubt I will take this FRI. My hope/plan is to leave and get a job that pays the same if not more than my RAF salary whatever it may be in 3yrs and then get my EDP on top. Staying in beyond the 20/40 in my circumstances I think will see me lose money. Does the FRI make up for missing just over a year's worth of EDP and a salary from a new job??

I hope this ET thing isn't something in the small print. Happy to do the 3yrs but not the 4. Anyone in a similar position? What are you thinking?

Last edited:

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The other way to look at is that it is 15k per annum before tax.....so you'll get what 20kish over two years...so 10k per year....

I left and got a 15k payrise on my RAF wage and my pension.....I don't think the FRI looks so tempting in all honesty.

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts

and once you sign for those 3 years, Hello RAF Lossiemouth!

They promised an answer by the end of the month, so only a few days to go.

Latest rumour (Who doesn't love a good rumour) I've heard is from a mate of a mate, who met an SP in a bar who works at the EPAT team.

£30k taxed which is split into 2 payments, announced this month and can apply via HR from announcement and 1st payment is from this Aprils pay packet.

Wonder how that would work if the SP failed a fitness test in the 3 year RTS…
Hhhhmm

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
Wonder how that would work if the SP failed a fitness test in the 3 year RTS…
Hhhhmm
you cant leave until you have completed your 3 years ROS or you repay the full amount, so you would mark time until you pass it or pay back the cash and leave.

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
Sad times to see all rhe trainee TG1 leaving Coaford. Postings, Marham, Coningsby, Lossiemouth, Brize, Odiham and Benson. All would be negative choices in our day.
only Waddington missing for a full house of TG1 main flying bases. sad times indeed.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
A certain top secret North West defence site I hear is looking for hundreds of techies to design and manufacture a new fast pointy thing...that's going to drain any away that are teetering and can get to or relocate to that area...