• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tg 17 legends

KingGuin

Sergeant
With the recent passing of Jim Philp I started thinking about who had been an influence on my career and why. In my time I have been fortunate to
meet or work with some great people who have shaped the way I do business to this day. Here's my list of those (names cunningly
disguised) I believe made me the git that I am:

A*dy Abr*ms - one of my first Cpls - used to batter me (and the others) with a 12 inch steel ruler if we cocked the ration return up.

St*ve Rich*rds - a FS when I was a real scrote and thought secondary duties were drinking and fighting. He sent me to Belize which saved my liver.

M*rtin B*shop - my Belize FS who took me under his wing and made me fight less, drink more and learn a bit of clerking.

K*rt Sinc*air - legend. After Mrs KG had a miscarriage told her "never worry, you can always have another one!". Then, within 5 mins threatened to batter my Sgt if he didn't give me 3 nines on my F6442.

And one other, still serving, who shall remain nameless and has been one of the most vociferous exponents of our trade who taught me that work and play can go hand in hand if you keep paracetomol in your desk!

So fellow guins, who influenced you and why?

Mightierthan

Corporal
This could turn out to be a great thread!

For me, and with the same level of pers sec:

T*rry H*rrison. My first 'proper' cpl. Taught me that there is no 'it will do'. It's either right or it's wrong. Gave me an eye for detail and turned me into a professional clk. Also insisted that all the SACs in the office went with him to the NAAFI bar every Friday. A great guy with a great wife and family, who left the mob many years ago and his hopefully enjoying retirement.

C*lin Dr*kard. Not everyones cup of tea but I liked his forceful personality and the fact he was never shy to tell an officer to fcuk off if he thought they were wrong (and he often did).

There is also one other, but he is still serving and is big-headed enough as it is without me naming him. A consumate professional who led by example in all matters, whether work, sport or drinking. How he finds the time & energy is beyond me.

M

MyShineyAr$e

One person left an lasting impression on me; not professionally, but an impression never the less. No need to divulge his real name, his moniker is well known I'm sure. I served with him at Cosford 98-99.

FINBAR.

As a young LAC looking for a role model, he was probably one youd want to avoid, however if you wanted someone to indoctrinate you into a life of deviance then he was your man. I never could go back to 42nd Street in Oakengates after he flopped his c0ck on the bar.

When my Cpl called a meeting to get our heads together...he flopped his c0ck out.

When he spied a colleague shagging a bird doggie style through a bedroom window he barged into the room and...flopped his c0ck out, slapped it around the guys face then popped it into the young ladies mouth.

When queueing for McDonalds in Cannock after a night at the Wanking Toad...he flopped his c0ck out and got a hand job off a bird right there in line.

Sat on a train going to Wolves...he flopped his c0ck out and got a blowjob under the table off some bird.

When at an international rugby match...he llifted his missus' top up and flopped her t1ts out.

LEGEND!!!

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Legends...

C*lin Dra*ard - Not only does he support the same football team as me, but he was instrumental in ensuring I attended a Top Table in the Mess as his personal guest the week before I got my third. And he made sure I couldn't get to go for a p!ss just before we sat down for dinner!!! I last saw him stroking the longest sidies I've ever seen saying "What are they gonna do - kick me out". To be fair, it was his last working day! Top Bloke!

Ch*is C*bb - Showed me how to be a Sqn Adjt whilst being able to have fun, and do the job with a huge smile on your face. You may think this was easy, but his dad was none other than the Sqn WO!!! Got his wobbly up before he was 40 and then promptly PVR'd as he'd nothing left to achieve for the next 15 years as "I beat my dad to getting my wobbly".

Now to the Leg Ends.

N*** M****r. He was my boss at a low point in my career, and instead of providing support, he provided a large knife to stick in my back.

**n R*b*ns*n. He was the complete opposite of C*lin Dra*ard in that nobody knew where they stood with him. As a Cpl, he was good, but as soon as he got his 3rd he "changed". The last I heard was he got redundancy after throwing a hissy fit about being offered PMA with his WO (he turned it down), then claiming it was so unfair that he was barred for promotion for 2 yrs - something he'd quite happily said to many a Junior rank when they were offered promotion with a posting to the @rse end of the world.

Alas, I've moved in very small circles and spent quite a while in each location, so my list of legends & leg ends is small. Probably lucky in the amount of bandwidth saved!!!

Last edited:

KingGuin

Sergeant
This could turn out to be a great thread!

For me, and with the same level of pers sec:

T*rry H*rrison & C*lin Dr*kard. - Top blokes, know them both.

A consumate professional who led by example in all matters, whether work, sport or drinking. How he finds the time & energy is beyond me.
why I thank you, didn't realise we had met :pDT_Xtremez_14:

Comments in bold. How I laughed at your description of the small tea monster! Anyway what about M*ck M*****w now commissioned - the man
who dragged me off a p*ssed Sqn Bod in Germany with the quote "you're a guest, if anyone's gonna hit this f*cker, it's me" And he did. Lead by example thats what I say.

KingGuin

Sergeant
Legends...

N*** M****r. He was my boss at a low point in my career, and instead of providing support, he provided a large knife to stick in my back.

QUOTE]

I was OOA with him and training twice a day when he told me not to bother cos I'd always be a fat B*st*rd! He honestly thought he was giving me constructive advice and got offended when I said I'd chuck him down stairs to create a prom vacancy.

Shiny_Rob

Corporal
I'd have to say a big thanks to J*n Ridd*ll, my first Cpl at Lyneham, along with K*rt S*nclair my first WO. Both top blokes and a big influence on in my early years.

J*n Dr*mmond kept me on the sraight & narrow whilst overseas along with J*son P*per.

Legends all!

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Legends...

QUOTE]

I was OOA with him and training twice a day when he told me not to bother cos I'd always be a fat B*st*rd! He honestly thought he was giving me constructive advice and got offended when I said I'd chuck him down stairs to create a prom vacancy.

I trust they were a set of very long, steep stairs. With a dark cellar full of snakes at the bottom.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
FINBAR. LEGEND!!!

Young Finbar I had forgotten about him. However in true highlander style there can be only one TG17 star. The short rotund ex-sama ops man, mad keen golfer, awful pub singer, teller of cr@p jokes, sufferer of incredible hangovers, member of the non-military wing of the RAF, the scruffiest bag of sh!te ever to wear uniform, Yeovil town supporter and an absolute top, top bloke the one and only JJ.

M

MyShineyAr$e

Young Finbar I had forgotten about him. However in true highlander style there can be only one TG17 star. The short rotund ex-sama ops man, mad keen golfer, awful pub singer, teller of cr@p jokes, sufferer of incredible hangovers, member of the non-military wing of the RAF, the scruffiest bag of sh!te ever to wear uniform, Yeovil town supporter and an absolute top, top bloke the one and only JJ.

Aahh JJ. He was the opsman when I first got to Cosford.

He used to buy two kebabs after a night out. Eat one on the way back to the mess and keep the other on the radiator for breakfast.

He fell off his bike one night ****ed and managed not to lose any of his kebab.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Aahh JJ. He was the opsman when I first got to Cosford. He used to buy two kebabs after a night out. Eat one on the way back to the mess and keep the other on the radiator for breakfast.
He fell off his bike one night ****ed and managed not to lose any of his kebab.

He fell off his bike because I phoned his mobile whilst he was cycling along unwilling to lose the kebab he answered the phone with his other hand. No hands on the handlebars and p1ssed = crash. His usual kebab was extra large doner with extra chillies and loads of sauce. The medium one for morning was the same.

PSFbeatch

Corporal
Legends...

C*lin Dra*ard - Not only does he support the same football team as me, but he was instrumental in ensuring I attended a Top Table in the Mess as his personal guest the week before I got my third. And he made sure I couldn't get to go for a p!ss just before we sat down for dinner!!! I last saw him stroking the longest sidies I've ever seen saying "What are they gonna do - kick me out". To be fair, it was his last working day! Top Bloke!

Ch*is C*bb - Showed me how to be a Sqn Adjt whilst being able to have fun, and do the job with a huge smile on your face. You may think this was easy, but his dad was none other than the Sqn WO!!! Got his wobbly up before he was 40 and then promptly PVR'd as he'd nothing left to achieve for the next 15 years as "I beat my dad to getting my wobbly".

Now to the Leg Ends.

**n R*b*ns*n. He was the complete opposite of C*lin Dra*ard in that nobody knew where they stood with him. As a Cpl, he was good, but as soon as he got his 3rd he "changed". The last I heard was he got redundancy after throwing a hissy fit about being offered PMA with his WO (he turned it down), then claiming it was so unfair that he was barred for promotion for 2 yrs - something he'd quite happily said to many a Junior rank when they were offered promotion with a posting to the @rse end of the world.

Alas, I've moved in very small circles and spent quite a while in each location, so my list of legends & leg ends is small. Probably lucky in the amount of bandwidth saved!!!

I obviously walk around with my eyes closed as I had no idea Jim Philp had died, and I'm very sad to hear of it.

I quite agree Mr D was a legend! I would quite agree hes not everyones cup of tea but I learnt some very important lessons from him for which I will always be truely grateful

As for **n R*b*ns*n ... I was working for him when he turned down his warrant, and when he left on redundancy..... lets say he left the service in a blaze of glory! Karma is a right b$tch...and boy did he get some!

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
I obviously walk around with my eyes closed as I had no idea Jim Philp had died, and I'm very sad to hear of it.

I quite agree Mr D was a legend! I would quite agree hes not everyones cup of tea but I learnt some very important lessons from him for which I will always be truely grateful

As for **n R*b*ns*n ... I was working for him when he turned down his warrant, and when he left on redundancy..... lets say he left the service in a blaze of glory! Karma is a right b$tch...and boy did he get some!

Amen to that, sister! Mr D, though a controversial subject in TG17, is easily head and shoulders the best boss I have worked for in my time. Extremely firm, but also extremely fair and would bend over backwards to fight your corner if yours was a cause worth fighting for.

As for the latter, well, I got on with him as I was the only the only bloke in his PSF, but yes, karma catches up.

There are some other legends that I had completely forgotten about that are mentioned here. I knew K*rt S*incl**r at HQSTC as a young LAC (me, not him!) - a thoroughly nice guy. I deal with M*** M*****w on a regular basis in my current post and he's a top guy too.

Sad news about Jim Philp though. As a young PD clerk, he was the font of all knowledge as far as I was concerned and was someone who was always willing to answer your questions, no matter how trivial. RIP.

Last edited:
With the recent passing of Jim Philp I started thinking about who had been an influence on my career and why. In my time I have been fortunate to
meet or work with some great people who have shaped the way I do business to this day. Here's my list of those (names cunningly
disguised) I believe made me the git that I am:

A*dy Abr*ms - one of my first Cpls - used to batter me (and the others) with a 12 inch steel ruler if we cocked the ration return up.

St*ve Rich*rds - a FS when I was a real scrote and thought secondary duties were drinking and fighting. He sent me to Belize which saved my liver.

M*rtin B*shop - my Belize FS who took me under his wing and made me fight less, drink more and learn a bit of clerking.

K*rt Sinc*air - legend. After Mrs KG had a miscarriage told her "never worry, you can always have another one!". Then, within 5 mins threatened to batter my Sgt if he didn't give me 3 nines on my F6442.

And one other, still serving, who shall remain nameless and has been one of the most vociferous exponents of our trade who taught me that work and play can go hand in hand if you keep paracetomol in your desk!
So fellow guins, who influenced you and why?

I have to say there are a couple I'd like to mention but one stands head and shoulders (well apart from he is a bit of a short arse) and I think we are talking about the same person in the para in bold. He fought for me to work with him and I aspire to be like him (on a professional basis only of course, I could never, ever drink that much Guinness!) He will fight for you no question and now he has PVR'd the trade are in for a bumpy ride. He is Mr TG17! I've told him i'll be wearing a black armband in his honour once he has left!

Others I'd like to mention for totally opposite reasons are;

B*ll L*we - hated working with women and must have held the record for the most amount of people PVR'ing because of him. Now works for DVLA me thinks!

C*iff F*aulkes-F*int - what a total git he was when I was an SAC, so out of touch with youngsters and wanted to charge me on a montly basis, even though I was a good egg!

N*eil P*ierce - Calm, methodical, intellectual, big drinker totally neat writing, ruled a F102 and I aspired to be like him when I was a LAC/Jnr SAC. He's out now.

C*elia M*C*teer - Mrs Doubtfire! Total respect to her as she wouldnt sign a leave pass without the generous 'donation' of a Yorkie Bar to go with it. Couldn't do that these days - bummer!

A*i T*orne - Total legend, works hard, plays hard and noone I know has ever drank more than her. Total respect.

vinnyvx2

LAC
Bill the cashier in Goose Bay 95/96, most misearble man in the RAF, ate officers for breakfast, said it how he saw it. Glad he was on my side. Heard he'd disappeared from the RAFG drying out clinic in his dressing gown, he was found slightly worse for wear in a german bar, still in his dressing gown.

J** M*Murdo, Chf Clk Buchan 88/89, he went to the mess to do the mess bar check about 1100 each day, if we saw him again it was about 1500-1600 and he'd be F*&Xing pain in the arse. He liked kippers so we left a plate of them on his desk in the Chf Clks gold fish bowl the day he went on leave for 2 weeks. It was a tad ripe when he got back from leave. Heard he punched OC Admin at ASI in 1990!

N

no1rangfan

TG17 Legends

TG17 Legends

Hi,

You must have come across I*n I***n little Northern Irishman. F***ing first class Adminer and social diamond. Tauht me all I knew about drafting and being a good SNCO. Good wee footballer and got into lots of scrapes on pitch (fighting mostly).

Now left I think but living near Lyneham I believe.

Anyone remember him?

KingGuin

Sergeant
Hi,

You must have come across I*n I***n little Northern Irishman. F***ing first class Adminer and social diamond. Tauht me all I knew about drafting and being a good SNCO. Good wee footballer and got into lots of scrapes on pitch (fighting mostly).

Now left I think but living near Lyneham I believe.

Anyone remember him?

I spent a drafting tour with the very same man. Once wandered around 6A for an afternoon in his pants cos his trousers got soaking walking back from the Mess. Not long after wanted to knock a fellow Northern Irish drafter out for singing "Danny Boy" at Happy hour. Great tour that!

PSFbeatch

Corporal
Amen to that, sister! Mr D, though a controversial subject in TG17, is easily head and shoulders the best boss I have worked for in my time. Extremely firm, but also extremely fair and would bend over backwards to fight your corner if yours was a cause worth fighting for.

As for the latter, well, I got on with him as I was the only the only bloke in his PSF, but yes, karma catches up.

There are some other legends that I had completely forgotten about that are mentioned here. I knew K*rt S*incl**r at HQSTC as a young LAC (me, not him!) - a thoroughly nice guy. I deal with M*** M*****w on a regular basis in my current post and he's a top guy too.

Sad news about Jim Philp though. As a young PD clerk, he was the font of all knowledge as far as I was concerned and was someone who was always willing to answer your questions, no matter how trivial. RIP.

Don't get me wrong my kopite friend.... I@n R~~i@@on was alreet like, he went out of way to help me and some others I know, he could be a tough nut at time and a proper tyrant, but I know there are a few that dont hold him in the same high esteem.

TG17 Legends

TG17 Legends

Two legends from my early days were S***y L****e and I*n W******r, both of whom taught me that playing very hard was fine as long as you worked twice as hard.