• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Station recall days

Robby

Corporal
Having just endured a Station Recall day - after 4 months in the Falklands, am I the only one who thinks it is a complete waste of time?

As a SNCO I know what SSAFA , RELATE and padres can offer and would always suggest it to any of my troops who I thought it could be useful for but sitting in a group of 10 talking with a Relate councillor for 45 mins gave no benefit to anyone who had a real issue and seriously miffed other participants. This particular course took place at the main AT base in Oxfordshire so one of the biggest pains with regard to OOA’s- transiting to and from said base was not relevant!

Possibly I had formed my opinions before arrival because I had returned from MPA (and was advised as it was a mandatory briefing I could be MAA’d for if I didn't attend) and if truth be told I felt a bit of a fraud sitting amongst colleagues who had been in hot and sandy places doing the business at the coal face. I did agree with a fellow participant who thought it was purely a back covering exercise by the RAF!

Has anybody other thoughts on this?

Realist78

Master of my destiny
I can't speak for all but I was 'asked' to go for an OOA debriefing after coming back from Al Udied. The date of the debriefing was over a month after I had returned, not only was that meaningless but the fact that apart from being seperated, I'd spent 4 months on the easiest OOA going. OK, the heat, access to alcohol and the facilities were stressful:pDT_Xtremez_14:but FFS, what a waste of time (IMO)!

Sniffer

Super Moderator
We had a bloke on my last recall day who had been in florida for 4 months. Quite kindly the admin order gave a nominal roll with locations on it. So its not even as though he could keep it under his hat.

Sniffer

Super Moderator
Pretty much. They are a pain in the arris. Medical trades have 3 hoops to jump through now after afghan. Bloodhound, station recall days and also a Medical Services 2 day recall at Cranwell. Seems like a bit of overkill to me.

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Pretty much. They are a pain in the arris. Medical trades have 3 hoops to jump through now after afghan. Bloodhound, station recall days and also a Medical Services 2 day recall at Cranwell. Seems like a bit of overkill to me.

A weeks 'normalisation' for FU's is a pain in the arris but we don't tree hug :). Suppose that equees us out :pDT_Xtremez_07:

Joe_90

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I can't speak for all but I was 'asked' to go for an OOA debriefing after coming back from Al Udied. The date of the debriefing was over a month after I had returned, not only was that meaningless but the fact that apart from being seperated, I'd spent 4 months on the easiest OOA going. OK, the heat, access to alcohol and the facilities were stressful:pDT_Xtremez_14:but FFS, what a waste of time (IMO)!

The 2 can rule was stressful!

Sniffer

Super Moderator
A weeks 'normalisation' for FU's is a pain in the arris but we don't tree hug :). Suppose that equees us out :pDT_Xtremez_07:

A lot of you dont wash your hands either which is good as that could put us out of a job. :)

HotspurIDO

I'm not fecking BRANCH!
An absolute waste of time as they're being done now. They cause more stress than they relieve, it's a catch-all for ALL dets and completely done wrong. We've been saying that since they came in, but it's an exercise in arse covering by the MOD.

KingGuin

Sergeant
I take it that these 'therapy sessions' only apply to NFU?

No idea why your lot weren't on the last list I saw - but you know where I am if you need a hug:pDT_Xtremez_42:

An absolute waste of time as they're being done now. They cause more stress than they relieve, it's a catch-all for ALL dets and completely done wrong. We've been saying that since they came in, but it's an exercise in arse covering by the MOD.

I'm cur ious....Having just arrived back from Herrick to be told I have to run these events I would be interested to hear what you would suggest (if anything) we as welfare practictioners should be doing.

HotspurIDO

I'm not fecking BRANCH!
I'm curious....Having just arrived back from Herrick to be told I have to run these events I would be interested to hear what you would suggest (if anything) we as welfare practictioners should be doing.

Maybe separate those that have come back from a tour that attracted an Op Bonus into one group and everyone else in another and take a different approach to each group? That'd be a start. Although there are common stresses across all dets (separation etc) there are particular stresses on the 'op' tours (as you know) that deserve a different approach. Even that wouldn't be the ideal, but it'd be a start.

A one stop shop catch all for everyone is just paying lip-service to mental health concerns. Everyone's head is different.

After Basra '08 I got more out of a chat over a pint with the padre than I did out of the recall day.

KingGuin

Sergeant
Your comments echo a common theme on the feedback sheets I circulated. My thoughts on our day were that, as useful as it was, it was too long and too rigid in its interpretation of the official direction. Hopefully I can craft something which will achieve something other than lip service!

HotspurIDO

I'm not fecking BRANCH!
Your comments echo a common theme on the feedback sheets I circulated. My thoughts on our day were that, as useful as it was, it was too long and too rigid in its interpretation of the official direction. Hopefully I can craft something which will achieve something other than lip service!

Yeh, I realise that there are certain boxes that need to be ticked sent down from some ivory tower on high. Trouble with that is that it's going to be rigid and no-one's going to be completely at ease.

In an ideal world, it'd be a beer call. Sounds a bit dismissive perhaps but it really isnt. Get away with the bare minimum of compulsory briefings, get the Staysh to say 'welcome home' and get the beer flowing in a nice, relaxed, but controlled environment. The more formal these things are, the less likely anyone who has had a stress reaction is to talk about it.

All IMO of course, I have absolutely no background in mental health or TRIM.

Last edited:

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
A lot of you dont wash your hands either which is good as that could put us out of a job. :)

Off Topic I take it you are the Hand Washing Police then? Must be the the pongos that keep you in a job as I don't recall any mass 'man down' scenarios of ours in my last 3 trips out..

Vee2

Corporal
I went to one the other day. We got there at 0945, started at 1000 and I was in town shopping by 1300, we'd been told not to go to work afterwards. The buffet lunch wasn't bad either.

For most people it was probably a waste of time, but the MOD really has to at least try to encourage those who DO need help after a det to speak up, so this extra opportunity is a good one. I know the vast majority don't need it, but maybe the vast majority need to just take one for the team here.

When I came back from Basra '08, there was none of this in place and after PODL I returned to work and it quickly became apparent that I was, to quote my line manager, "not ready to come back to work". I simply took a bit more leave. Now I'll admit that my job then was very intense and I was unable to switch off when I went home, I just kept thinking how my replacement was doing things/waking up inthr night hearing the IDF alarms etc etc to the point that due to an incident in my UK job escalated out of control, I found myself in my car, on the phone to my wife, punching seven bells out of the steering wheel.

It's the only time my wife has ever been scared if me, and she was worried that I was coming home to do the same to her and our daughter. I realised that something wasn't right, immediately went to to doctors and broke down in the surgery. Now whilst I wasn't or haven't been diagnosed with PTSD, it was decided that I was under a lot of stress. Luckily my work reconised this and found me a posting to an area which improved my family's life (closer to family etc) and into a job that has considerably less stress levels

Now I didn't have one of these station recall days, but colleagues of mine who retuned from the falklands/Kuwait/qatar just 3-4 months later did and they said it wasn't applicable to them

R

RIGHTHANDSPANKER

I haven't had the pleasure of one of these days, but would would loved to have been able to. At my Unit there is no provision for recall days. Something that A1 Staneval has pointed out on more than one occasion. I got back from Lash in Nov. After coming back from Basra in 07 I thought that I would be used to explosions. After the first IED strike that killed around 20 locals and scattered their body parts 100 meters away from the main gate (I was at Lash) I realised that I wasn't. I then had incoming rounds through my tented accommodation during a firefight between the ANA and ANP. Prior to returning to the UK I was told I was going to be given the minimum time off as to quote my WO "you have been away in the Sun for 4 months and we have struggled back here". After experiencing sleepless nights, being on edge and constantly feeling guilty I went to the Padre. I received a come back in 6 weeks response. To top it all my mate got hit in an IED explosion the other day and is now in the process of being brought back to the UK. Sorry for going on!

FOMz

Warrant Officer
I like the idea of informal drinks where you can talk to people who have been through the same as you....and have the shrink on hand to mingle and be avilable if needed.

Noidea

SAC

I thought your unit already had quite a good and novel approach to recall days? Why the about turn on what used to occur quite successfully from what I hear.