• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

speed limiters!

Flybynight

Flight Sergeant
Explain please FBN? I don't understand your answer in respect to the poo public transportation system we have in this country.

Where is Government going to get the revenue from when the speed cameras go and that everyone uses less fuel (apart from putting more tax on fuel that is)?

Mr SCJ

Public transport of passengers has never made money - unless you're a greedy sod like Michael O'Scrooge, £10 to use the bog, etc. The point is that freight is profitable if managed properly. To do that, yes, money has to be spent, which is currently wasted on this and that at the behest of the EU. We would then get the cowboy 18 year-olds driving artics with trailers off our motorways (something you have to be 21 if you're a native here) which has to be a plus by anybody's standards. Making the transport of freight easier will also improve passenger transport because the facilities will be there to be used (I'm not advocating nationalisation necessarily, or necessarily not for that matter). This in turn will produce less demand on currently deplorable A & E facilities... you see where I'm going. Getting out of the bloody EU, though not a universal cure-all, would be a big step in the right direction. As for airlines, that was my little joke in a semi-serious post (1960s TG9 jest - "Air Traffic Controller: A person paid by British Railways to deter the travelling, fare-paying public from entering an aircraft about to fly").

So my short answer to your question is divert the cash from where it's wasted elsewhere. Improved infrastructure would make it all the more enjoyable for motorists, not to mention the leather-clad, two-wheeled Kryters and chums.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
... snip ...

Are you not even slightly worried about living in a police super state that tracks and records the movements of honest law abiding citizens?

... snip ...

No I am not worried, there are far more important things in life to be concerned about.

The state has the ability to track and record our lives 24/7. Think of your supermarket club card or the tracker in your vehicle or the insurance black box in your youngsters car, then you have the average speed cameras on some major roads along with the CCTV cameras in town centres; the list could go on for a few pages.

... snip ...

... snip ...

1984 is a warning, not a blueprint.
It was a warning, it is now part of everyday life.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Are you not even slightly worried about living in a police super state that tracks and records the movements of honest law abiding citizens?

Nah, me neither. After 50 one becomes more of an amused yet benign observer of life's little man made inconveniences. We stop worrying about the problems and start watching the people who get so annoyed at them. Much more fun.

Rocket_Ronster

You ain`t seen me.
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Public transport of passengers has never made money...

Oh sir, how could you ???
We`ve currently got in place a system where we have around 20 rail franchises all making money.
And its only costing us £6bn a year in subsidies to keep them in profit, a veritable bargain. :pDT_Xtremez_42:

G

Gord

I reckon it's another of those 'crazy euro ideas' which the ruling government can 'fight' and 'win' then claim a victory for the common man on the run up to the next election.....

When was the last time the British government ever argued the toss with an EU reg'?

Gonterseed

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Won't affect BMW, Mercedes and Audi drivers as they are already exempt from all speed limits!

You forgot to mention the general parking exemptions, shaved head and wing-nut ears (especially for the BMW 316-320 company car drivers) and the compulsory wearing of sunglasses that look like they cost more than the car.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
When was the last time the British government ever argued the toss with an EU reg'?

I'm fairly sure Cameron won one against EU spending last year, not sure though.

Anyways, I stand by my original point. It's like any of these barmy ideas, announce it and if not enough people show outrage it gets quietly introduced.

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
I cant see why UK should do it first - I think it should be Germany 1st (because they have to get passed he lack ogf Autobahn limits), France 2nd.

And they can sort out all the non-EU Limited cars that drive into their countries first.

G

grumpyoldb

Well they won't get me driving at 70mph. I get a nosebleed if I go over 55......................... :pDT_Xtremez_31:

SORRY CJ

Flight Sergeant
Well they won't get me driving at 70mph. I get a nosebleed if I go over 55......................... :pDT_Xtremez_31:

But just think of the environment you are helping.....Saving fuel and better emissions for you and the all the traffic in the tailback behind you Grumps.

Mr SCJ

G

grumpyoldb

But just think of the environment you are helping.....Saving fuel and better emissions for you and the all the traffic in the tailback behind you Grumps.

Mr SCJ

If they are behind me they should've got up earlier. :pDT_Xtremez_14:

Flybynight

Flight Sergeant
You mean they're lost as well..............?

That's what comes of using a cheapo SatNav. I was in a chum's car recently when the SatNav i) tried to send him past a double roundabout in the bus lane and ii) along a footpath only slightly wider than the car with buildings either side. Fiddly, diddly dee, A to Z is the thing for me (and OS 1:50,000 and 1:25,000 of course - perhaps there could be a special version with all breweries and distilleries marked prominently, including your house obviously, Grumpy).

Flybynight

Flight Sergeant
@ Rocket-Ronster

Here's a fun way to make money. Organise a simultaneous London-Scotland rail race between Clarkson and May, one on the East Coast Main Line to Edinburgh, the other on the West Coast to Glasgow. The cash will be made not by selling tickets but by offering odds against Clarkson staying on the tracks without crashing and May completing the journey without shorting the engine out, and vice-versa, oh and the bar and buffet not running out.