• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

speed limiters!

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
It is quite funny isn't it?

My ten year old 4 x 4 Mitsubishi and a new Jaguar F type, and the common denominator shall be their upper speed limit at any place on the road.

It's not funny in fact - it's hilarious!

It'll probably save quite a lot of fuel though, so maybe not so dumb

mild mannered janitor

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Why ......................??

why the hell should the EU start dictating over stuff like this? (awaiting the "i never speed" brigade)

and a quote from the article is exactly what i thought as i read the headline.

"It could take away people's ability to get themselves out of trouble with a quick burst of speed, such as in overtaking situations where the capacity to accelerate can avoid a head-on collision."

SORRY CJ

Flight Sergeant
Look at it this way....

Fit limiters.... Check
Reduce Speeding.....Check
Safer roads.....Check (debateable)
Reducing fuel usage and emissions....Check

Less fuel/no use for speed cameras = Less Tax earned by Government, we make up the shortfall another way......DOH!

Mr SCJ

Spurdog

Corporal
Why ......................??

The EUSSR are planning to install a little black box in your car that can apply the brakes automatically if you try and exceed the set speed limit. Now that sounds reasonable at face value but there is more to it, as usual with their little shenanigans. The article I read said that they plan to use satellite technology to do this, technology that will also be able to track and store your movements.

Are you not even slightly worried about living in a police super state that tracks and records the movements of honest law abiding citizens?

1984 is a warning, not a blueprint.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
"UK has one of the best road safety records in Europe, with deaths down from 1,901 to 1,754 last year - the lowest figure since records began in 1926. French roads saw 3,645 die in accidents last year, while Germany suffered 3,657 fatalities."

Basically, Europeans drive like khunts - no news there.

L

Little Tronk

I might be all for it if it made the tw@ts that insist on doing 40 in a 60 speed up!

Flybynight

Flight Sergeant
Look at it this way....

Fit limiters.... Check
Reduce Speeding.....Check
Safer roads.....Check (debateable)
Reducing fuel usage and emissions....Check

Less fuel/no use for speed cameras = Less Tax earned by Government, we make up the shortfall another way......DOH!

Mr SCJ

You can't get yourself in a pile-up if you use trains and airlines whenever feasible.

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
It is quite funny isn't it?

My ten year old 4 x 4 Mitsubishi and a new Jaguar F type, and the common denominator shall be their upper speed limit at any place on the road.

It's not funny in fact - it's hilarious!

It'll probably save quite a lot of fuel though, so maybe not so dumb

Yeah, thats what I thought when I first read about it; all the German built substitute penises would be reduced to the level of small hatchbacks.
Sniggering at the idea aside, it won't happen and probably a good thing too.

ninjarabbi

Warrant Officer
It's not like it would need to be fitted to every car; just Audi's, BMW's and Volvo's. The very cars that always speed up behind me morning (and I do 60 mph in a 60 mph zone!).

Kryten

Warrant Officer
I take it that if by some freak of nature this does become law the EU or the Govt will pay for everyone's car to have the limiters installed?

Nope? Thought not - bunch of bureaucratic Euro-tards....:raf:

SORRY CJ

Flight Sergeant
You can't get yourself in a pile-up if you use trains and airlines whenever feasible.

Explain please FBN? I don't understand your answer in respect to the poo public transportation system we have in this country.

Where is Government going to get the revenue from when the speed cameras go and that everyone uses less fuel (apart from putting more tax on fuel that is)?

Mr SCJ

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
I reckon it's another of those 'crazy euro ideas' which the ruling government can 'fight' and 'win' then claim a victory for the common man on the run up to the next election.....