• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

SJAR Brief

Hu Jardon

GEM is a cheeky young fek
Dear Goaters

One of our members has obtained a brief on the Basics of the SJAR system in real understandable words. Its originator has generously given permission for us to distribute it.

As soon as we can figure out how to do it, we will make it available in Adobe Acrobat 8 PDF file for your use.

CTID

SAC
Timing

Timing

Thank you very much as i am just about to log on and start an SJAR now.:pDT_Xtremez_34:

I shall have a read.

thanks again

CTID

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Good presentation, however where's the unit that has enough staff to man a Man Servs section that raise all the stn's appraisals?

Down here, its just "another" job that has been devolved out to the Sqns!

KingGuin

Sergeant
I thnk you'll find the Unit in question tried devolvement, very quickly discovered it doesn't work then re-brigaded the PSF to a more recognisible forumula of PDs, MS/DWR/SJAR/Allowances. Customers prefer it (VSA, lean and 2 RIE confirmed that) and it frees the Sqn Clks to do whatever they do best.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Circles

Circles

I thnk you'll find the Unit in question tried devolvement, very quickly discovered it doesn't work then re-brigaded the PSF to a more recognisible forumula of PDs, MS/DWR/SJAR/Allowances. Customers prefer it (VSA, lean and 2 RIE confirmed that) and it frees the Sqn Clks to do whatever they do best.

You'll be brining back SAMA and Kardex's next.

T

TDJ

Good presentation, however where's the unit that has enough staff to man a Man Servs section that raise all the stn's appraisals?

Down here, its just "another" job that has been devolved out to the Sqns!

You will find that it is the sort of unit that takes pride in the service it delivers - so well done to that unit - good to see a proactive PSF for a change. Have seen devloved admin elsewhere and it really doesnt work as the squadrons tend to abuse their admin staff.

A big gen office is the way forward (again!!)

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
You will find that it is the sort of unit that takes pride in the service it delivers - so well done to that unit - good to see a proactive PSF for a change. Have seen devloved admin elsewhere and it really doesnt work as the squadrons tend to abuse their admin staff.

I find that really surprising. In my corner of the RAF virtually all HR functions are devolved to Sqns (but not to Wgs - I'm still working on that) and it works really well.

On a unit spread over a large area of real estate with a large proportion of shift workers (any MOB then) people often don't find time to go to/speak to PSF to sort out their admin issues. Having a shiney on the sqn who serves as a one-stop-shop for most admin matters is working really well. In fact, people get visibly frustrated when we tell them that a particular issue has to be dealt with by PSF directly. Far from being abused the sqn shiney is exactly that, part of the sqn. I made some lasting friendships among TG1 and elsewhere in my time on the FL.

I must confess I didn't see anything new in this SJAR brief, and I think some of the slides (e.g., the JPA screenshots) are lost without some kind of explanation. But if it works for people then that's what matters.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts

Horses for Courses.

Whilst we are undoubtedly the busiest TG17 on our unit, doing everything on our Sqn most definately works, as TBJ says, you get more appreciated, develop a good rapport, and included in Sqn activities than those sat in PSFs who dont really know their customers.

And the added advantage is that your average teccy doesn't have to spend 15 mins scrubbing up and putting on a shirt & tie to come and ask me a question, which means he's back at his workplace, getting an aircraft fixed much quicker than if he had to go to a PSF.

T

TDJ

I think TBJ and mutty have slightly misunderstood my point (and perhaps I didnt quite explain clearly enough). From what I can see the PSF in question have a devolved admin on the sqns, but have brought back some of the more important areas to a centralised control. Allows sqn shineys to concentrate on the day to day triv that the techies and growbags want sorted, and the Chief clk to look after the more important areas

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
No misunderstanding here TDJ. On JPA go-live, everything at my place was devolved out to the Sqns and Wgs. This, as you might imagine, was a disaster mainly because the devolved areas were unprepared for what was about to happen.

Many of the "more important" areas were then pulled back into PSF from the Sqns and the Wgs reverted to fully-centralised admin. Then, as we gained experience with JPA, areas such as appraisals, terminations, etc., were devolved out again (to the Sqns only). 95% of all HR functions are now devolved and that works well for us. (I think the only 'main' area where we have retained a single SME is CEA).

Where it has proven difficult is in maintaining standards across the PFA but with our A1 Staneval team (Sgt and Cpl) and the Chf Clk changing his focus to Staneval issues, that is being addressed.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
I think TBJ and mutty have slightly misunderstood my point (and perhaps I didnt quite explain clearly enough). From what I can see the PSF in question have a devolved admin on the sqns, but have brought back some of the more important areas to a centralised control. Allows sqn shineys to concentrate on the day to day triv that the techies and growbags want sorted, and the Chief clk to look after the more important areas

Full devolvement works for Sqns. Whether it works for Wings remains to be seen.

And I feel quite capable of either dealing with an important area myself or allowing my staff to sort it rather than passing it to an LAC who happens to work in what used to be called PSF.

The brief I got from my Chf Clk on devolvement was "You are the Sqn Chf Clk so sort the issues out and only get me involved when you feel you have to". In 18 months, I called on his help once.

Back to the subject - the brief. I found it much easier sitting around a couple of terminals with half a dozen SNCOs and just going through it step by step. They then went away and sat with their Cpls & SACs and did the same thing and before we knew it the whole Sqn was au fait with appraisals!

Hu Jardon

GEM is a cheeky young fek
Very feckin interesting TBJ & Muttley

but why don't you move it to one of the Shiney areas and let this thread do what it was intended for - informing none shineys of some of the nuances of the SJAR system

SJAR Brief in Powerpoint format.

CLICK HERE

The Stig A.D.I.

Corporal
Jeez. What rock have you crawled out from under? Not seen you post on here in blummin ages 

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I’ve been... busy! 🤣

Now at ‘the Home of the RAF Regiment’ (however, I can categorically deny crawling out from under any rocks! 🤣).