• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shoe painting

I would like to have the toe caps painted on a pair of my Service shoes.

Does anyone know who is still doing this and have contact details?

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Ah the old dark art of shoe painting a bit like marmite some love it, some hate it. Used to be done by the painters section for "a teabar donation" and the warranty runs out once they leave the paint section door. From memory best to use brand new shoes that have never been polished. Its a fragile thing though if you scuff or scratch the shoes it peels off in bits, plus it's quite obvious its paint. If the SWO or similar spots its not layers of bulled polish there could well be a one way chat about getting a replacment pair of new shoes.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Tornado Nose Cone paint or Flexane.

If you can still get it, and more importantly, sneak it out of the COSHH store.......

New shoes as stated above that have never been polished. Masking tape on the welts otherwise it really does look obvious of what you've done, and allow to cure somewhere cool and dry - mine came out perfect when I carefully laid them in the boot of my car and left overnight.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
That's the stuff!! better than paint as it flexed a little. Also I remember some tried a floor polish called Klear that gave reasonable results.

Looks like Klear like most things I remember is now part of history

Junter

LAC
That's the stuff!! better than paint as it flexed a little. Also I remember some tried a floor polish called Klear that gave reasonable results.

Looks like Klear like most things I remember is now part of history
Yes, it was Duel floor polish for us. Some said to polish your shoes with Duel then bake them in the oven. I suspected it was a p1ss take but it could have been true. I didn't want to risk it so just polished mine as instructed.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
In the days of beards and tattoos, do the RAF still bother with this bulled toecap crap?

fourteen2two

Corporal
Printed cct board lacquer we had in the fairy bays worked well. Mask welts and rest of shoe spray and leave to dry.
Beats wasting time bulling.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I still have a pair of shoes with toecaps painted by some of the finest painters and finishers that Wiltshire ever had.

The SWO at the time duly noted the lovely nature of my tax payer funded shoes and asked if they "were painted"?

My reply "yes Sir, they are"

SWO. "You've been in a few years haven't you haven't you!"

I spent a few hours on SWO's working party filling sandbags for that offence when local MQ's were flooded by local land mismanagement

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Typing 'Flexane' into Google gets you some results. Looks bloody expensive though, glad I was able to half inch from the HAZMAT ISO out the back of the hangar. 😂👍

Cat Techie

Sergeant
Licensed A/C Eng
Typing 'Flexane' into Google gets you some results. Looks bloody expensive though, glad I was able to half inch from the HAZMAT ISO out the back of the hangar. 😂👍
Not cheap. Got some for the Jag at Bentwaters. Not cheap at all.