• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Scampton sell off

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Residing in California during the fairly decent Earthquakes of 2019 (I lived at the time approximately 40 miles from the Epicentre of a 6.4) and watching the entire house wobble and flex (timber frame) from the inside made me realise that over here (brick construction) the amount of damage done by a similar level quake would cause a substantial rise in property values in many areas of the North.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
For sale next year if the Mail is correct.

"Now, after more than 100 years in service, the airbase is being axed to save the MoD £140m over the next ten years. The famous red jets will jets will remain in Lincolnshire, and are set to move to nearby RAF Waddington. The sale has been verified by the MoD in a letter from Minister of State for Defence Procurement, Jeremy Quin, to Gainsborough MP Sir Edward Leigh, the BBC reports. The document also confirmed there were 'ambitious plans' to transform the site into an area that 'provides the greatest benefit for the local community'. "

On a personal note it's yet another station I served at shutting down.

SAXAVORDIAN

Sergeant
Ideal for the next bunch of migrants then. The other Napier army camp wasn't fit for purpose apparently according to the judges.

SAXAVORDIAN

Sergeant
And yet OK for serving personnel......... :-O
I know my accommodation in the past wasn't much to write about during my 16mu Stafford1980s days in transit block. Especially in the rabbit hutches when someone farted badly next-door the walls buckled domino effect. Many a day a respirator was worn on such occasions :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: .
But still I think the military will have to stick a complaint form into the MOD having to put up with the now reported sub-standard accommodation. I wonder if Panorama will have interviews with blacked out faces of ex-service personnel who were at Napier.

StickyFingers

Sergeant
Spent a few nights there myself.

Was horrific. Everything needed to be padlocked, to get to your room you had to walk through other peoples rooms, like right through the middle of them.

The building I was in was older than the RAF.

And they didn't open the mess for us, treat, rates. Until the civvy penny-pinchers audited us and asked why we didn't get core meals.

I fucking hated my job sometimes.

4mastacker

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
If the plan to close the place means the demolition of 34 Fourth Avenue then all power to MOD's elbow. Worst bloody MQ I ever lived in.

Cornish_Pikey

Sergeant

Mustang

Corporal
I lived twice in Scampton, once as a scaley brat in the 50s and later towards the end of my time in the Mob late 80s. I do not miss the place, the MQ in Northumberland Avenue persuaded us to buy our own place PDQ.

Past Engineering

Sergeant
Subscriber
I was also a scaley brat and went to Scampton Primary School on camp, before going to William Farr Secondary school in Welton, RAF Scampton was my first posting from 1970 to 1972, and spent those first two years of my service on 230 OCU and loved it both as a scaley brat getting into all sorts of mischief and as a JT, met the lady who later became my wife (married 1973) and we are still together.

4mastacker

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I lived twice in Scampton, once as a scaley brat in the 50s and later towards the end of my time in the Mob late 80s. I do not miss the place, the MQ in Northumberland Avenue persuaded us to buy our own place PDQ.
34 Fourth Avenue had that effect on us as well.

fourteen2two

Corporal
We were the same when we came back from Laarbruch with a lovely flat in Weeze to a prewar dump at Cosford.
After FT course we bought a house and never lived in MQ again.

Shropshire Road for us in the early 80’s, with Vulcans going right past the bottom in the garden. As kids we used the fire-training Vulcan as our playground, until the day the coppers found a mitten there with my name tag on it. Busted, then grounded! Sad to see Scampton go, there’s so much history there

stingray888

Sergeant
The Raf museum of Firefighting has signed a deal with the new potential owners to move the museum back to Scampton. We live in hope.