• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

SAC acting CPL OOA

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
I have to disagree with the last couple, if he gets the rank and the responsibility then you should get the pay, the fact it's an ooa is neither here nor there.

.....but if it helps get him promoted he may very well be getting the pay full time. There are times when I was working with the Army I would have given anything to be A/Cpl unpaid just so that they Barmy boys didn't treat me like one of their clueless privates. You have to think of the bigger picture it may well be of a benefit to him to A/Cpl unpaid.

UlsterExile

Sergeant
Im actually doing it now OOA with 5 days notice to move but on the plus side I aint getting paid for it!!!! No no glass back Cpl you sit at home eating burgers till 0800 monday when you have an appointment with SMO again cos fitness test is due. Enjoy spending the money I am earning for you.

Now that I disagree with if you are acting for a set period then you get paid. I am with DUFFMAN oin this one. If I were you I would seriously question the reason for not getting paid and ask for it in writring.

Also just been given some latest figures,

SAC's 28% are unavailable for OOA
Cpl's 48% are unavailabel for OOA
Sgt's 40% unavailable for OOA
F/S 25% unavaiable for OOA.

Now in thoses figures are people who are in screened slots and TSW. But take those away and it still doesn't make good reading. I will ask my source for the actual breakdown and post it when I get them.

Last edited:

Mad Dog

LAC
Now that I disagree with if you are acting for a set period then you get paid. I am with DUFFMAN oin this one. If I were you I would seriously question the reason for not getting paid and ask for it in writring.

Also just been given some latest figures,

SAC's 28% are unavailable for OOA
Cpl's 48% are unavailabel for OOA
Sgt's 40% unavailable for OOA
F/S 25% unavaiable for OOA.

Now in thoses figures are people who are in screened slots and TSW. But take those away and it still doesn't make good reading. I will ask my source for the actual breakdown and post it when I get them.

Not that it makes good reading, but Cpl's were at 53% about 18 months ago!! I wonder if the threat of redundancy has been a miracle cure for glass back syndrome :pDT_Xtremez_30:

Robby

Corporal
Pay the fellas

Pay the fellas

I must say that if you are being required to wear the rank, do the duties and take the grief for 4 months you should be paid simples! In the old days, we gave SAC’s Cpl’s pay without asking tem to wear the rank now it seems we want JNCO’s but are not willing to pay for it!
It is obscene that the RAF is asking you to fulfil a task they cannot fill and will not pay you. During exercise’s you will be treated as a JNCO and expected to act in the same style as a fully trained and paid JNCO, if all hell breaks lose in MPA you will be required to act as a JNCO and undertake the duties - so pay the dues!
I now hear that some of the acting Cpl's will be required to complete JNCO specific Pre employment training and hold that responsibility, without the corresponding recompense, this is beyond belief and a question I would be addressing with the AMP Road show and any visiting VVIP- unbelievable!

Completely agree with Robby and a few others on here! I can see the rationale behind giving A/Cpl unpaid at an MOB, this is a chance to get an extra tick in a box on the promotion front. However being deployed on an OOA in an acting rank should automatically come with the pay!! Unbelievable!!

Last edited:

UlsterExile

Sergeant
I must say that if you are being required to wear the rank, do the duties and take the grief for 4 months you should be paid simples! In the old days, we gave SAC’s Cpl’s pay without asking tem to wear the rank now it seems we want JNCO’s but are not willing to pay for it!
It is obscene that the RAF is asking you to fulfil a task they cannot fill and will not pay you. During exercise’s you will be treated as a JNCO and expected to act in the same style as a fully trained and paid JNCO, if all hell breaks lose in MPA you will be required to act as a JNCO and undertake the duties - so pay the dues!
I now hear that some of the acting Cpl's will be required to complete JNCO specific Pre employment training and hold that responsibility, without the corresponding recompense, this is beyond belief and a question I would be addressing with the AMP Road show and any visiting VVIP- unbelievable!

I can confirm this is happening at Stacker Central.

I've watched this thread with interest. Previously as a Chf Clk a FS Supplr was sent to an OOA WO post and was told acting rank unpaid. I replied to said trade desk that I had 3 fit to deploy WO Supplrs on my unit and one of them could go. After a short battle FS went but got acting paid rank and therefore had 4 months less to do incrementally when eventually promoted to WO and earned pension rights. Still didn't understand why a WO could not go but at least the FS was rewarded financially for his efforts.

Go back to your HR (PSF whatever they are called) and get the Chf Clk to go back to Manning on your behalf.

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
I've watched this thread with interest. Previously as a Chf Clk a FS Supplr was sent to an OOA WO post and was told acting rank unpaid. I replied to said trade desk that I had 3 fit to deploy WO Supplrs on my unit and one of them could go. After a short battle FS went but got acting paid rank and therefore had 4 months less to do incrementally when eventually promoted to WO and earned pension rights. Still didn't understand why a WO could not go but at least the FS was rewarded financially for his efforts.

Go back to your HR (PSF whatever they are called) and get the Chf Clk to go back to Manning on your behalf.

Off Topic In that case if I've done 14 months A/Cpl and I then get promoted to Cpl does that mean I only have to do 10 months in rank to qualify for Cpls pension? (of course I understand you have to complete JMLC/TMT as well)

Humble Scribe

Sergeant
Off Topic In that case if I've done 14 months A/Cpl and I then get promoted to Cpl does that mean I only have to do 10 months in rank to qualify for Cpls pension? (of course I understand you have to complete JMLC/TMT as well)

Is that acting unpaid with Subs Pay or Acting Higher Rank authorised by ACOS? There is a subtle difference; the former won't help you qualify for a Cpl pension earlier but the latter will.

I have raised the question and is been looked at. But I will clear some things up. I was acting paid at my unit before I got here so Sjar would reflect that any way. It is nice to know that manning think your capable to do the job and auth you to cover an OOA established post. But to not pay you is wrong. Either way my point was basically they are sending guys acting out to stop the substansive ranks OOA turn around time from getting shorter (for various reasons I dont want to go into). So Im helping you guys out as well as RAF. But while im doing this GLASS BACKS who brought about this situation are at home and getting paid for a job they cant fulfil FACT!!!:pDT_Xtremez_19:
All in all im happy to be doing it and greatful for the chance of an OOA acting challenge.
:pDT_Xtremez_30:

Vladic Ka

LAC
I have raised the question and is been looked at. But I will clear some things up. I was acting paid at my unit before I got here so Sjar would reflect that any way. It is nice to know that manning think your capable to do the job and auth you to cover an OOA established post. But to not pay you is wrong. Either way my point was basically they are sending guys acting out to stop the substansive ranks OOA turn around time from getting shorter (for various reasons I dont want to go into). So Im helping you guys out as well as RAF. But while im doing this GLASS BACKS who brought about this situation are at home and getting paid for a job they cant fulfil FACT!!!:pDT_Xtremez_19:
All in all im happy to be doing it and greatful for the chance of an OOA acting challenge.
:pDT_Xtremez_30:

Helping us?

If we were to go to 12 month TRT for OOA we would be in the same situation as the chefs a few years ago. Which would mean it would be sh!t for us for a while but it would increase the chances of us getting high pay band and also perhaps someone would get their finger out and actually get some stacker recruits through the doors so we can get the correct rank/experience/qualified personnel in our operational slots.

All it is going to take is one guy doing an acting job messing up so bad they can’t brush it under the rug for this to open up the can of worms it is becoming.

I am going to put this question up the chain and see what response I get. Failing that the next high ranking visiting officer I meet is going to get a chest poke.

Last edited:
Helping us?

If we were to go to 12 month TRT for OOA we would be in the same situation as the chefs a few years ago. Which would mean it would be sh!t for us for a while but it would increase the chances of us getting high pay band and also perhaps someone would get their finger out and actually get some stacker recruits through the doors so we can get the correct rank/experience/qualified personnel in our operational slots.

All it is going to take is one guy doing an acting job messing up so bad they can’t brush it under the rug for this to open up the can of worms it is becoming.

I am going to put this question up the chain and see what response I get. Failing that the next high ranking visiting officer I meet is going to get a chest poke.

I agree but also guys moaning about TRT now so guess you cant win.