• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RTS moving to Cranwell?

Sniffer

Super Moderator
Apparently there is a rumour that RTS may be moving from Halton to Cranwell. Anyone else heard this?

Climebear

Flight Sergeant
Rumour happens every few years or so. I understand that the option of having a single place of entry for the RAF (less Gunners) is reviewed regularly though it hasn't been cost effective in the past.

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Also.. isn't there a clause with the lease on the land at Halton from the Rothschilds that says it needs to be returned to original state if the RAF withdraw from the site?

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
We could do with cramming more people into the lincs area as well.... Lots of accom available.

8:15fromOdium

Sergeant
Got to say I think that this is a really good idea, putting all the initial entry training on one camp (wherever that is). There are so many synergies in the training process between RTS, ACS and IOTC, this move could lead to both a cost saving and a quality increase.

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
Apparently it's more than just a rumour. I've personally never thought Halton was the ideal place for recruit training and there will be lots of space in Trenchard Hall when DCAE move out of there as well as a few tumbledown barrack blocks over on East Camp, which were used for IOT during the surge but are now empty again. Physical space for trainees at Cranwell is not an issue - where the staff will be accommodated is a different matter of course!

There's also the train of thought which crops up now and again that would-be zobs should do the same recruit training as the ACs; it works well enough for would-be NCA and SNCO ATC but I can see some disadvantages too. If that's what the corridors of power are thinking then moving RTS to Cranwell would make that paradigm shift in training policy fairly straightforward.

What would happen to Halton? Well I presume that ACS would stay there as well as various other training courses (H&S, Media Ops, etc), and it could also be used for overspill from HQ AIR for all the stuff which is part of the organisation but don't necessarily have to be shoe-horned into Spitfire or Hurricane Blocks. All just conjecture, I don't know whether any of this is actually on the cards, only that moving RTS to Cranwell is a definite possibility.

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
The training units of Halton, Cosford and Cranwell are nowhere near at running full capacity.

I think the latest IOT grad was for 16?

the lovetoad

Sergeant
Subscriber
I thought Cosford was going to Lyneham......... :pDT_Xtremez_42:

then Lyneham can go to Halton and Halton can go to Cranwell and when the music stops, the 2* left without a job can get a directorship of the lean company responsible for it all in the first place!!

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Also.. isn't there a clause with the lease on the land at Halton from the Rothschilds that says it needs to be returned to original state if the RAF withdraw from the site?

I've heard the same or very similar from many people for years, urban myth or fact I have no idea, but Halton continues to this day.

They are going to Cosford.

Indeed they are. We have had Cranditz folk on fact finding visits to the tin bashing empire very recently.

I thought Cosford was going to Lyneham......... :pDT_Xtremez_42:

Last Wg Cdr informal walkround chat he reckoned it could be 2018 or 2020 before it actually moves, but then again Cosford was certainly, definately moving to Saints right up to the point where the idea got canned.

then Lyneham can go to Halton and Halton can go to Cranwell and when the music stops, the 2* left without a job can get a directorship of the lean company responsible for it all in the first place!!

LT the cynic in me likes that one.

G

gemarriott

I've heard the same or very similar from many people for years, urban myth or fact I have no idea, but Halton continues to this day.

Indeed they are. We have had Cranditz folk on fact finding visits to the tin bashing empire very recently.

Last Wg Cdr informal walkround chat he reckoned it could be 2018 or 2020 before it actually moves to Lyneham. But then again Cosford was certainly, definately moving to Saints right up to the point where the idea got canned.

LT the cynic in me likes that one.

bit of deja vu here, I could have sworn I had read that somewhere before

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Being as the War Ministry purchased the estate in 1919 for the princely sum of £112,000, I very much doubt they have to return anything, but I bet it would rake in a pretty penny as housing land for the MOD.

briggfairy

Sergeant
Wasn't trenchards idea of having airmen at hiltons so that they have decent transport links and officers at cranwell so that they are isolated from the outside world therefore more able to concentrate on their brainwashing, I mean training?

If so what has really changed apart from money of course?

XVR RA RA RA

Sergeant
At least the recruits could do their phys in the "Sheikh Achmed Durka Durka Sports Hall". Named after the legendary RAF Airman ... mmm... er ... ?