• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Remembrance Day Observations

Robby

Corporal
Having just returned from my local Remembrance Day ceremonies can I please highlight the ‘scruffy’ Army personnel in MTP with Medals and Pattern 58 belts! Whilst I fully understand individuals, returning from Ops parade through home-towns in MTP and are presented with Campaign medals. On Remembrance Day surely they could wear No.1’s or 2’s or even barrack dress?
Notwithstanding well over 1000 people from a small town was a great turnout and included wide age group as well, fantastic, also good to see others at the war memorial- well done!

stereolab

Station Cashier
Flat Lt Wales

Flat Lt Wales

Off topic, but to my eyes it looks like Flt Lt Wales is wearing Fg Off rank slides on his arm, amI mistaken?

SirSaltyHelmet

Thoroughly Nice Chap
Why are people taking cheap shots at what people do for remembrance? Who cares?

They could go in bin liners in my opinion

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Vushtrri

Sergeant
...and did anyone else notice the lone boy scout salute the queen as she walked past him back into the building....someone then had a word in his ear!

wobbly

E-goat Head *****
Administrator
I went to Lydiard Park (Swindon) and they did something smashing for Remembrance today. A field of Poppy's (Cardboard message cards) arranged to read 11 - 11 - 11 across the field. Each card was paid for by the person paving the message on the back of each card and it looked brilliant. Looking at the cards they were from people who have been in the forces, family and loved ones that have lost somebody in the wars and the general public thanking the Forces for everything they do.

Attachments

• IMAG0270_800x533.jpg
    IMAG0270_800x533.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0272_800x533.jpg
    IMAG0272_800x533.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0274_800x533.jpg
    IMAG0274_800x533.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0275_800x533.jpg
    IMAG0275_800x533.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0276_800x533.jpg
    IMAG0276_800x533.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0278_800x533.jpg
    IMAG0278_800x533.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0280_800x533.jpg
    IMAG0280_800x533.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0281_800x533.jpg
    IMAG0281_800x533.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 0
G

gemarriott

I like that idea Wobbly, the yanks do something similar in their military cemeteries each grave getting a flag or a candle.

I was driving today so listened to the service from Coningsby on radio Lincs.

he_who_dares_rodney

Flight Sergeant
It would appear my "reply with quotes aren't working so I'll try this way.

Scruffy Army in MTP
Probably T.A. many units aren't scaled for Numbers 2's so wear normal working dress (MTP or C95 when it was in vogue) with medals.

Prince Williams Rank.

His ranks on his shoulders a false impression is given due to his cuffs on his great coat.
Should have made him wear one of those old issue flasher macs from years ago.

Picture in the mail.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...reath-Whitehall-Cenotaph-memory-war-dead.html

wobbly

E-goat Head *****
Administrator
It would appear my "reply with quotes aren't working so I'll try this way.

Scruffy Army in MTP
Probably T.A. many units aren't scaled for Numbers 2's so wear normal working dress (MTP or C95 when it was in vogue) with medals.

Prince Williams Rank.

His ranks on his shoulders a false impression is given due to his cuffs on his great coat.
Should have made him wear one of those old issue flasher macs from years ago.

Picture in the mail.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...reath-Whitehall-Cenotaph-memory-war-dead.html

reply with quotes is working for me, anybody else having probs?

jti

LAC
While watching the BBC coverage I did notice the Gurkers in the parade with weapons but no bayonets fitted whilst everyone else had.
Is this the norm for them does anyone know?

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I have some observations on today of my own, from two vastly different generations. Little miss TB, who is tiny for her age, (11) was chuffed to bits to be the nominated standard bearer for her local guides in the parade through the village this morning, though she did confess it got a bit heavy towards the end and they had to march behind boys. At the other end of the generational spectrum is my next door neighbour, ex-REME in his 70's, he made the parade once again, as he says he goes for his mates that can't. Poor old bloke is upset tonight, you see, unknown to the public, whilst getting ready for the parade this morning he dropped a medal and it broke at the swivel point so he went on parade one short. Nobody else knows how many medals he should display but he and his absent mates do and he was saddened to let them down.

Last edited:

Climebear

Flight Sergeant
While watching the BBC coverage I did notice the Gurkers in the parade with weapons but no bayonets fitted whilst everyone else had.
Is this the norm for them does anyone know?

I didn't see the coverage as I was at our local service and then headed north on exercise. However, I am assuming that the Gurkhas are from the Royal Gurkha Rifles. In the British Army, Rifle regiments do not parade with bayonets (referred to as Swords in the Rifles) fitted. They traditionally march with the weapons in the trail rather than at the slope. Having swords fitted when the rifle is held parallel from the ground with the sharp end not far from the chap in front's right buttock is not considered fair game.