• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Red Arrows to Waddington

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The only surprise is that we are keeping the reds. Scampton an historical place Guy Gibson, 617, the dog whose name we cannot mention, etc etc but with money to generate, land to sell, solar farms to create and houses to build coupled with a shrinking Air Force something had to give.

Cornish_Pikey

Sergeant
Says they will continue to train over the airfield. Once they've sold it though and it is turned into housing where will they go then?

Mustang

Corporal
As the title says, Red Arrows to move to Waddo...

From your link:
"The aerobatic team - formed in 1964 - has been at RAF Scampton since 2000 but will move to RAF Waddington in 2022"
I left Scampton 30 years ago and there were red jets flying around in formation then. High quality journalism?

ninjarabbi

Warrant Officer
That will be interesting, given the large amount of new houses being built around Waddo and the surrounding district. I'll expect there will be plenty of calls to the MoD about noise! I don't mind, free airshow!

Incubus

LAC
From your link:
"The aerobatic team - formed in 1964 - has been at RAF Scampton since 2000 but will move to RAF Waddington in 2022"
I left Scampton 30 years ago and there were red jets flying around in formation then. High quality journalism?
They were based at Cranwell between 1995 and 2000, so it isn't wrong...

norfolkred1

Sergeant
How long before the bitching about the airspace requirements. Too many eggs in one basket for me. Really thought Leeming, the homw of the Hawk, would have been a better option.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
How long before the bitching about the airspace requirements. Too many eggs in one basket for me. Really thought Leeming, the homw of the Hawk, would have been a better option.
Sentinel has finished flying, Sentry confirmed as wrapping up later this year. That leaves a couple of Airseeker and Shadow so not so busy anymore.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts

We do seem to be binning an awful lot of hawks so you're probably way out on this one.

Are we actually going to have any aircraft left within a year or so?

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
We do seem to be binning an awful lot of hawks so you're probably way out on this one.

Are we actually going to have any aircraft left within a year or so?

Taccy Ton, Red Arrows and 736 Naval Air Squadron jets to be retired.

I wonder what their replacements will be, or will they be disbanded ?

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Taccy Ton, Red Arrows and 736 Naval Air Squadron jets to be retired.

I wonder what their replacements will be, or will they be disbanded ?
Whilst many folk won't shed a tear if some money is saved by binning the Reds their airships and BAe seem to like the PR value of a pretty red display team no matter what the cost. If all the Hawks are retired then to continue the reds will need a new platform to play with at airshows. Not sure what we have on inventory that could do that? Without Hawks nothing to excitingly whizz jet is left on the training aircraft list and it wouldn't seem sensible to buy 10 of something just to paint them red and do airshows all summer.

Last edited:

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Whilst many folk won't shed a tear if some money is saved by binning the Reds their airships and BAe seem to like the PR value of a pretty red display team no matter what the cost. If all the Hawks are retired then to continue the reds will need a new platform to play with at airshows. Not sure what we have on inventory that could do that? Without Hawks nothing to excitingly whizz jet is left on the training aircraft list and it wouldn't seem sensible to buy 10 of something just to paint them red and do airshows all summer.

After Shoreham and Covid what airshows will be left. The IAT is next for the chop leaving just Farnbrough.