• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RAF Swinderby

Mate of mine had 4 Chippy's (was on the same intake as ILLKC, until ILLKC got ILL), Station AOC's as well and the whole thing made it into the national papers thanks to a Bull.

July 80 we had the pleasure of a couple of Jet Provosts, I then shared their cold war killer engine note for 4 years at Leeming.

Not sure of any names, except a potential TAG kindly called Zunny (after the monkey puppet on Fireball XL5), from 10 flight June 3rd - July 1980, but we all answered to Spunk Bubble, come the passing out parade (no pun intended).

Cock, hook and .......... a kick in the ribs from the resident GDT rock, happy days.

Forestfan

SAC
This brings back some!

I got there in Dec 88, 4 Flt 3 Sqn, Sgt F D**e and Cpl S G*****e (Eddie the Eagle). Garland Block by the main road. Remember the meningitis cases, we were all crapping ourselves.

Seem to remember a rock called C***e D*****d, and a couple of mirror-lovers called B******l and S***t, both complete strokers.

Good set of lads in the room, didn't find it too bad, hardest thing was trying to stay awake whenever you sat down!

Shame to see the place now though.

FF

Who? Me?

SAC
7 Flt reporting in

7 Flt reporting in

Feb-Apr 92, 7 Flt (can't remember which Sqn though, had blue cravat)

DI's were all effin scary, especially Cpl M*y*R, size of a mountain and an even bigger handle-bar 'tache.

Had ex-RAFP as senior man, joined back up just to late to re-kit only, poor bugger.

Fond memories :)PDT_Xtremez_08: ) of doing pokey (spelling?) drills with the SLR during the GDT phase when you f**ked it up.

1.5 miles in white plimsoles - priceless.

Learning not to use DKP2 inside S-10 then blowing hard when it's back on face, never forgot that lesson.

Best memory? Torn between two. One is where a guy hides his packet of tic-tacs in the shoes of the person next to him just before inspection (earning himself a nick-name for life) or when the same guy is hugely embarrased during the drugs lecutre for knowing all the effects that "poppers" give you, only for the P&SS Occifer to say that was why they were so popular with the gay community.

Fly-past? Bl00dy chipmunks, wavering all over the sky they were.

Last edited:
P

peterd

Swindits!!

Swindits!!

Was there way way back...zzzzz Apr 75...We were housed in Gibson Block which would be taken over by the WRAF's if they ever arrived. Great block nice carpets, no floor bulling just a run with the vacuum cleaner!!

fatbaldchief

Corporal
This brings back some!

I got there in Dec 88, 4 Flt 3 Sqn, Sgt F D**e and Cpl S G*****e (Eddie the Eagle). Garland Block by the main road. Remember the meningitis cases, we were all crapping ourselves.

Seem to remember a rock called C***e D*****d, and a couple of mirror-lovers called B******l and S***t, both complete strokers.

Good set of lads in the room, didn't find it too bad, hardest thing was trying to stay awake whenever you sat down!

Shame to see the place now though.

FF
Jesus man what a memory! I was there in 85 and can only just remember my name let alone all those Recruit bulliers :pDT_Xtremez_35:

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
Jesus man what a memory! I was there in 85 and can only just remember my name let alone all those Recruit bulliers :pDT_Xtremez_35:

Thank god for you fatbaldchief..i thought i was the only one with memory loss from that year.....perhaps we were the experiment year........oh well nearly made it...!!

Crack on.............:pDT_Xtremez_09:

G

gemarriott

Was there way way back...zzzzz Apr 75...We were housed in Gibson Block which would be taken over by the WRAF's if they ever arrived. Great block nice carpets, no floor bulling just a run with the vacuum cleaner!!

My cousin was in Gibson block lucky b@stard. I had been in one of the old blocks a year or 2 before him and couldn't believe how cushy he had it. Tainted our relationship forever.

I had last laff though, I was techy and got paid he was a fecking telephone talker and got buttons.

The Loan Ranger

Corporal
So glad you brought this thread back to life with that find mate, some quality pictures to browse and some fond memories of the place, cheers mate

Chad Norman

Corporal
:pDT_Xtremez_09:I wish my memory was better, it's only been 21 years and I can honestly say I'm struggling with most of those pics!

Must try and find some pictures of recruits 'enjoying' the Thor run! Will never forget that one...

Chad

wobbly

E-goat Head *****
Administrator
You just can't beat the old days. Imagine this happening today?

SwinVulc.jpg

MAINJAFAD

Warrant Officer
You just can't beat the old days. Imagine this happening today?

SwinVulc.jpg

Don't need to imagine it, I seen it!!!!!:pDT_Xtremez_42: The Tin Trangle is most likely throttled right back when that shot was taken....which would not be the case when he crossed the road running through the camp in a quite steep climb with a mini earthquake happening below.:pDT_Xtremez_30:

PraiseBacon

Sergeant
Opps, one key out, Try mid Jan 84 (did do most of my time there in 1983 though)

Which flight were you on / block were you in? (actually scub the block question - I can't remember either!)

I started in late '83 and passed out in Jan '84 as well. I think the DI was a Cpl Ha***tt

I was on the intake that infamously 'failed' MFT just before Christmas and the DI's wanted to back-flight the entire intake - but weren't allowed to because of a training backlog and onward courses start dates - so we had a weekend of 'hell' at the hands of the rocks in Jan with it made clear anyone failing was out.

(I also remember our flit cdr showing up from time to time to ensure any bullying didn't get out of hand....)

Last edited:

Kryten

Warrant Officer
For me it was no 17 Flt, 3 Sqn (green scarf also), from Dec 89 to end of Jan 90. Flt Cmdr was a Fg Off C******d, DI Staff were Sgt K**k and Cpl W*******n - had the joy of starting for 2 weeks, then going home for Christmas - coming back proved a real pain in the butt...

was there in 76, seem to recall a scrapped Lightning by the runway?
DI was a small Glaswegiain, Cpl Sw**t , Flt Cdr was a Pilot who often walked around with his Boxer dog.

Hades_112

LAC
I was on the intake that infamously 'failed' MFT just before Christmas and the DI's wanted to back-flight the entire intake - but weren't allowed to because of a training backlog and onward courses start dates - so we had a weekend of 'hell' at the hands of the rocks in Jan with it made clear anyone failing was out.

(I also remember our flit cdr showing up from time to time to ensure any bullying didn't get out of hand....)

How can you fail MFT? It felt like a holiday in comparison to some of the other stuff we had to do. Did my MFT in Jan 83 and it was baltic.

Left my SLR outside the bog to have a dump and it got nicked. Lesson learned after I got chewed out later on by the Zob who took it. Thank god it was a zob and not one of the DI's/Rocks!

Still remember the DI's we had, Cpl Gr** and Sgt Wool**.
He ended all his commands with the sound of someone being sick - quick bleeeeh!

No 9 Flt for me, Oct/Nov 1975. We were first intake to be issued with the new 'Thunderbird' style No 2 jacket. Everyone else had the old 'hairy mary's'. Remember feeling like a total.......outcast whilst everybody whistled the old Laurel and Hardy theme at us.

Back to the beginning.....

Back to the beginning.....

I passed out of Swinderby in 1985 and now that I am a civvy, find myself working at what is left of RAF Swinderby. Very sad to see so little remains but No 1 Hanger is now my office. Was it the gym?