• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RAF Swinderby Cinema Photo's

Soupdragon

Piermaster
How many stations did have cinemas?

I mean for proper films not the RAF issue stuff that sent you instantly to sleep. I remember going in the one at Stafford.

We didnt have one at the secret South Devon non flying base... mind you, we only had one snowdrop, one fireman and one rockape.

D

Dink

Wildenrath had one, remember watching Terminator 2 there.

All demolished now though.

G

grumpyoldb

Lossie didn't have one '74/75/76 although we did get a weekly film show in the Fulmar club.
Laarbruch did have one, and I can remember seeing Jaws 1 there in 1976.

There wasn't one at Finningley, but I would have been too p!$$ed to watch it anyway!

P

POB

All the Germany bases had a cinema. Scampton too...Remember seeing "Carrie" there as a space cadet. Nearly didn't make it in though as I asked for a half. (It was an "x" certificate.)

G

gemarriott

Lossie didn't have one '74/75/76 although we did get a weekly film show in the Fulmar club.
Laarbruch did have one, and I can remember seeing Jaws 1 there in 1976.

There wasn't one at Finningley, but I would have been too p!$$ed to watch it anyway!

I saw Jaws at LBH too, That and the Holy Grail

Coningsby had a cinema so did Akrotiri

Last edited:

spanners

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Halton and Gutersloh, the latter, 1st time there, in the front row, start of the film, Back To The Future (I think), heard a big noise behind me, what T F is happening? Everyone is stood up to the National Anthem, me and a few others (They are goater's) sheepishly stand up and pretend we knew what was happening all along!

JFOM

Trekkie Nerd
I remember a brief on oral hygiene in the cinema and remember being terrified of dozing off. Sgt D*** getting his todger out in his office before walking to the urinals doing his business, then walking through to one of the rooms, giving it a shake then returning to his office, all without a word.

What a looney! Feb 90 to apr 90! Memories!

F

Flight_idle

The cinema at Swinderby did indeed show films in the evening when I was there in March/April 1970, I remember seeing the film 'Deadlier than the male' there.

Regards, Fligiht Idle

G

grumpyoldb

Bloomin hell you could get excused Padres hour, not even our Muslim recruit was allowed to be excused the Padre hour when i was there.

1st Sunday, and 5th Sunday you had to attend church parade. You could be marched to church but not into it.
That was in 1973. I don't know if things have changed since.

Even the RAF cannot ram religion down your throat.

Dave-exfairy

Warrant Officer
Swinderblitz

Fond memories

Gay/Suspect DI

Working till stupid o'clock in the morning to get everthing shiney and clean to have the suspect DI and the Sgt come in and FCUK everything up again.

Naafi Bar, we were allowed into the Colonel once before passing out

I even went back to Swinderblitz with an old buddy of mine "Geordie" (Coningsby 229 OCU and Leeming, from Spennymoor), the idea was made from Coningsby in the Naafi where most of the best plans were concocted and doomed to failure)

We drove to Scamton first, I think, from a drunken recollection of events, only to be refused entry, to be turned away at Waddo, the nice guys on guard duty warned us that the'd been warned to watch out for us. (Thanks Guys :) )

We arrived at Swinderblitz and the only people on the gate were Smally recruits :) We managed to get to the Newcomers Bar only to be ejected by a Rock Ape, who frog marched us to the Permy Staff Bar upstairs.

Where we got an ear full on how standards had dropped, swearing and beasting recruits was banned, so brawling in the Naafi was also banned I supposed.

Feeling dejected we left Swinderblitz for the last time.

I've passed it once or twice since last year, not a lot left to see, ho hum there's no one to blame except successive governments who have screwed over our Armed Forces for too long.

Not surprising that BAe employ more people than the RAF, being in the Forces seems to be a dirty word in these post cold war days

Or is this just the insane rants of an old crusty?

Nail, head!!!!!:pDT_Xtremez_14::pDT_Xtremez_28::pDT_Xtremez_17:

re: Station Cinemas?

re: Station Cinemas?

RAF Hereford had one, it was right near the main gate and within falling distance of the block we lived in.

We used to always take advantage of the free videos rented from the Credenhill video shop shown on the big screen ;-)

Broke up the monotony of Pers Admin training.

They'd knocked it down by 1994 though when I went back for a SAMA course. The whole place was dead as hell, just before they moved Clerk & Supply training to Halton.

Bren

LAC
I remember (Swinders Feb 79) declaring that I was an atheist so I would not have to go to church. About 5 of us ended up sweeping a hanger. Following week we all see the light..... and enjoyed tea and biscuits.

R

riggertoSTAB

I think pretty much all RAF camps had cinemas at one time or another. Kinloss had one but was closed in my time there, Wilders certainly did up to the end, St Athan did when I stopped working there in 2004.

Also I know South Cerney and Hullavington did when they were RAF bases.

If I remember all RAF cinemas were The Astra, and army ones were The Globe. Not sure about the Navy as most of thier time spent ashore is in Iranian POW camps.

Sh1t, that pic of the Nissen huts gave me a flashback of learning how to challenge people when on guard, vehicle searching etc with the Rockapes on a sunny afternoon way back in 1984..........scary stuff!