• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RAF Swinderby Cinema Photo's

D

Dink

Workmate pointed me towards these photos on an Urban Exploration forum, first the Station Cinema at RAF Swinderby .. http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=13222 .. should be instantly recognisable to anyone who went through in the days of lino and bedpacks as the place we got our brief from the Stn Cdr on arrival.

Also a few of the main camp, I am sure the final photo is taken looking just to the right of where I passed out .. http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=13221

From what I can gather the cinema has been levelled now.

AndyZ

Sergeant
They certainly bought on some flashbacks to good old times at Swinditz, thanks for finding those.....

Hot Shoes

Corporal
Strange question occured to me whilst viewing. I know we all used to have the obligatory visits/briefs in the cinema but did it actually show films, I mean that you had to pay for, I can't recall ever going???

G

grumpyoldb

Strange question occured to me whilst viewing. I know we all used to have the obligatory visits/briefs in the cinema but did it actually show films, I mean that you had to pay for, I can't recall ever going???

I don't ever recall have the time or inclination to go to the cinema.
By the time we got finished in the evening, it was a rush to the naafi to try to get four pints down our neck before the bar closed.

G

grumpyoldb

A few pics I took about two years ago at Swinditz. The domestic site had been demolished and was making way for a new housing development.

Last edited:
G

grumpyoldb

All the above pics have copyright on them.
If you wish to use them, please PM me.

Inevertouchedit

Flight Sergeant

I still have flashbacks about that bloke squeezing puss from the end of his fetid knob !!!

Arrrgghhhhh.................

D

Dink

Blimey .. those shots of grumpy's have just brought the memories back !!, I recall those nissen huts being used for SLR training. The name Cpl L*** sprung to mind for some reason. And the only time I think I was ever in that Cinema was for the arrival talk from the staish.

My daughter has just been quizzing me about Swinderby and I mentioned bedpacks at some point. On explaining what they were she maintained they sounded "easy" to make .. so I have just been to the loft for some blankets and she is making one. And if the dimensions arent exact and that two pence doesnt bounce high enough she will be doubling round the estate in white t-shirt, blue shorts and plimsolls so thin they have the shock absorbing qualities of a Rich Tea biscuit.

THEN we will see if she wants to call me an old fart again.

Edited for possible PERSEC breach - MingMong

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember getting the "financial responsibility and banking" lecture in there. The girl from the bank can't have been more than 20 and was obviously terrified about talking to a cinema full of blokes.

It was made much easier for her when the grumpy old SNCO stood up, turned to her and said, "Excuse me a moment, love" before turning to the dozing audience and bellowing...

"The next fcuking cnut to fall asleep will find them self on a fcuking charge!"

Before turning back to the young lass and saying gently, "I think they'll pay attention now, carry on."

I always remember the shattered few who had lost the battle to say awake, and were found stood to attention in the aisles when the lights came on.

Selected memory says happy days (10 Flt June - July 80).

gray

Sergeant
Blimey .. those shots of grumpy's have just brought the memories back !!, I recall those nissen huts being used for SLR training. The name Cpl L*** sprung to mind for some reason. And the only time I think I was ever in that Cinema was for the arrival talk from the staish.

Remember L*** - a right scarey cnut... assigned to his section on MFT and he was ok though - stood up for us against doing the spinney run 2 times in respirators - 2nd time in LFO.

Swinditz - Jul 1988 - Sept 88 (2 weeks summer hols in the middle !)

Had a few 1 way conversations in them nissen huts !

Gray

D

Dink

Remember L*** - a right scarey cnut... assigned to his section on MFT and he was ok though - stood up for us against doing the spinney run 2 times in respirators - 2nd time in LFO.

Swinditz - Jul 1988 - Sept 88 (2 weeks summer hols in the middle !)

Had a few 1 way conversations in them nissen huts !

Gray

Isnt it funny though that as as you look back it doesnt seem as bad ??

He scared the crap out of me as I was 16-17 when I went through (I was the youngest to pass out) but I remember him talking to my mother after the parade and my jaw hitting the floor when she said "Are all your Instructors as nice as him ??"

tag_lincoln

Corporal
If its the same Cpl L as my MFT instructor he went onto be a FS Drill Instructor at Cranwell, a few puzzled looks from ex rankers before the dawn of realisation as they realised who it was, last time I saw him he was senior drill insructor or whatever they call it on QCS.

Realist78

Master of my destiny

It did show films, I remember some cockney geezer shouting out of the ticket booth "come on in lads, plenty of T&B tonight (tits and bums)", fcuking film was the Sweeney where you got a flash of Diane Keen's assets!:pDT_Xtremez_28:

Parky

Corporal
Ahhh the memories of Apr-May91 come flooding back.

The Beastings the NAAFI staff pushing Proplus. Bobby Biceps, Speedy and Roger Melly the man with the beret Flt T-shirt. The guy on MFT who searched the Land Rover and upon finding the IED grabs hold of it and proudly displays it shouting "I found it"

Anyone got pics of the Gas chamber.

G

grumpyoldb

Anyone got pics of the Gas chamber.

The pill box which was used as the gas chamber when I was there ('73) has now been demolished. At least there doesn't seem to be any sign of it on google earth images.