• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Raf Scampton and migrants

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I find it depressing that the vfm calculation assumes that the situation will continue for 3 years.

Some of the complaints about the use of Weathersfield (and probably Scampton) centre around the fact that the new inmates will be able to come and go but that there is nothing for them to do in the local area and they have no money to go anywhere - hence fears of 'idle hands' of unknown honesty being foisted onto hitherto 'nice' areas.

There doesn't seem to be any mechanisms or plans to fill the immigrants' days with anything meaningful (neither compulsory work nor formalised induction/education into British society) nor any speed in deciding whether they should be accepted as legitimate immigrants or refused admission and deported promptly. Other countries in Europe have much higher refusal rates (up to 60 or 70%) and make their decisions quicker with fewer opportunities to drag the process out. We need to get much much better at deciding cases and getting rid of the illegitimate ones whilst inducting the legitimate ones and getting them into productive society.

Just storing people at taxpayers cost (whether in hotels or camps) apparently almost indefinitely is not good for the taxpayer nor good for the genuine refugees. The ability to live free at taxpayers expense is not something we encourage in those born here, allowing it for outsiders will only increase resentment against them.

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
If you are coming to the country illegally, I think it’s safe to assume the skill set is probably not in demand In this country.
Would seem the country needs Just Eat though. With its assholes on bikes running red lights and pavement running.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
‘need’ is doing a lot of lifting there.

Never understood why paying £15 for £5 takeaway makes financial sense, until my son’s 16 Klarna arrears letters arrived on a weekly basis.

Also had a vigorous chat with someone at work, explained I don’t mind approving a £25 meal, but not for a KFC meal For one,

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Pleased to say that other than a couple of Domino's deliveries for family gatherings we have never had a take-away delivered; certainly never Just Eat or Deliveroo and have no intentions of doing so. I have to wonder if people in this country really are as hard up as some make out when services like that seem to be thriving.

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Least the Officers Mess at Scampton has been listed as Grade II. None of them in there.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Also had a vigorous chat with someone at work, explained I don’t mind approving a £25 meal, but not for a KFC meal For one,
My last use of the phrase "You are confusing your rank with my authority" was with an RAF Regt officer who had submitted an expense claim that I had to audit which contained £25 worth of groceries from M&S at Kings Cross station purchased just before his 50 minute 3pm train ride to Peterborough and 30 minute car ride back to Wittering.

Guess which one of us backed down....

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Scampton and Wethersfield cleared to become accommodation for illegal immigrants asylum seekers.
Now you can add East Camp St. Athan to the list.

If they knew beforehand that they would be going to East Camp it may have caused some to have rethink:LOL: , rain, lego land, rain, valley commando's, rain.