• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Raf Scampton and migrants

StickyFingers

Sergeant
Saw it in Twitter this morning. You can tell none of the commentators have been to Scampton in the last 10 years saying refugees would turn the place into a shithole, it's been a shithole for a very long time. I also love the "The Dambusters would be turning in their grave" comments. Would they? I dunno....

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Saw it in Twitter this morning. You can tell none of the commentators have been to Scampton in the last 10 years saying refugees would turn the place into a shithole, it's been a shithole for a very long time. I also love the "The Dambusters would be turning in their grave" comments. Would they? I dunno....

I'm betting that they would soon change their tune if plans came out to house the asylum seekers in a big hotel just down the road from where they live.

I'm betting that they would soon change their tune if plans came out to house the asylum seekers in a big hotel just down the road from where they live.
Ahem! Illegal migrants. Who should be held, in a secure place, until their ID, history and claims are verified. If their story stands up to scrutiny, then they could be permitted to move around etc. If not, which seems to be the intent here, they can go. If we can find somewhere to send them.

Scampton's nowhere near desolate enough, and right next to a major road (If the A15 counts as such). Although the lack of upkeep seems to have gone a long way to rendering the buildings unsuitable without massive expenditure.

Still, it'll soon be spring. Where are all those TDA's kept?

StickyFingers

Sergeant
Reminds me of when I spent some time in Napier barracks and they were booting off about it being shit there too. I must be lucky getting to have stayed in all them places. Civvys pay thousands for that I've heard.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Seems the local council want the old officers mess to be classified as a listed building. In an apparent attempt to thwart the governments asylum plans for Scampton.

What other long standing RAF things need listed status? JT's, Pegs burger van, BBMF??

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
They're not going to occupy Scampton any longer than is necessary to get them off the media Radar and into some sink estate and the anonymousness that society offers.

Cornish_Pikey

Sergeant
Have you seen the officers mess there?
Yes, and like all abandoned RAF Sites it's been left to rot.

TELEMMGLPICT000329106788_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqqVzuuqpFlyLIwiB6NTmJwauLYewjGO21NF-o1gxbkUI.jpeg

StickyFingers

Sergeant
I'd have more sympathy if the whole place hasn't been left to or for 20 years. I get why, but it's bollocks. I remember when someone wanted to buy it and make into a hotel. That got turned off too.

Deltaitem

Corporal
Thinking about this whole immigration and small boats thing got me wondering. Boris Johnson wasn't actually even born in the UK, unlike, for example Jeremy Corbyn and Diane Abbott, who both were, thereby giving them greater claim to British-ness than him. I wonder what the chances are of him being held at Scampton for the next five years while any asylum claim is figured out, before he then screams for a leftie lawyer to stop him getting deported to Rwanda.
Unlikely, but stranger things have happened...

EfK-XtAX0Ag9vhc.jpg

StickyFingers

Sergeant
If you live at Scampton it's already like Shameless with the DSS lot anyway. Wasn't even a shower in some of the quarters there. It's just the council acting like a spoilt kid getting upset because another kid wants to play with a toy they haven't looked at for 15 years.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Thinking about this whole immigration and small boats thing got me wondering. Boris Johnson wasn't actually even born in the UK, unlike, for example Jeremy Corbyn and Diane Abbott, who both were, thereby giving them greater claim to British-ness than him. I wonder what the chances are of him being held at Scampton for the next five years while any asylum claim is figured out, before he then screams for a leftie lawyer to stop him getting deported to Rwanda.
Unlikely, but stranger things have happened...

EfK-XtAX0Ag9vhc.jpg
What does it matter where he was born? I don't much care who people are or where they were born, provided they have a legitimate claim, iaw the laws made in parliament and in force at the time, to live here and ask for British nationality (if they didn't already inherit British nationality). That, I think is probably the view of most people in this country, where people get upset is with those who abuse the asylum system to evade the scrutiny associated with the laws in force that govern lawful immigration.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Boris, Diane and Corbin can probably look after themselves so don’t need temp accommodation.

Problem is that cheap hotels are running out and they system is falling down, people need housing, and from what I’ve seen other countries, with similar social values to ours, are using a variety of accommodation types, so I can’t see why we can’t, whilst the systems sorts itself out.

Most of the genuine asylum seekers are probably pretty grateful and peaceful, those who have been trafficked into the criminal world won’t be hanging around as they have jobs to do or debts to start paying off.

Id rather this than rush through the applicants and agree an amnesty for all, which I’m guessing wouldn’t go down too well with the gen pop.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Boris, Diane and Corbin can probably look after themselves so don’t need temp accommodation.

Problem is that cheap hotels are running out and they system is falling down, people need housing, and from what I’ve seen other countries, with similar social values to ours, are using a variety of accommodation types, so I can’t see why we can’t, whilst the systems sorts itself out.

Most of the genuine asylum seekers are probably pretty grateful and peaceful, those who have been trafficked into the criminal world won’t be hanging around as they have jobs to do or debts to start paying off.

Id rather this than rush through the applicants and agree an amnesty for all, which I’m guessing wouldn’t go down too well with the gen pop.
Ironically, it isn't just cheap hotels that are being used but some fairly high quality ones such as Holiday Inn (not just Holiday Inn Express). My duty travel is starting to pick up again, post pandemic lull, and at least one Holiday Inn that I occasionally used (but was often 'outside of cap' rate limits) is now fully occupied by asylum seekers; meanwhile other cheaper hotels nearby are now harder to get into on late bookings and I am having to stay further away from my visit station at a greater cost for mileage (and pollution since I can rarely get to stay within walking distance now).

What concerns me also is that there seems to be little effort made to occupy those pending a decision and they seem to be left to their own devices for far too long. As my mother used to say, "the devil makes work for idle hands".

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
What concerns me also is that there seems to be little effort made to occupy those pending a decision and they seem to be left to their own devices for far too long. As my mother used to say, "the devil makes work for idle hands".

If they are housed at Public expense, they should be put to work to earn their keep. Plenty of fields in Lincolnshire where food needs picking. Plenty of litter needs picking up. Stick these young men in a Govt-co-ordinated minibus at 8am and send them to pick fruit and veg. Cut out the gangmasters that have exploited migrant labour for decades. pay them NMW, then deduct the cost of room & food, leaving them with money in their pocket and self-dignity that they are contributing to the country they have so desperately wanted to be in. Once their case is approved, they are let free to pursue whatever career they want, but with no state support.

I'm all for providing a safe haven for genuine refugees fleeing persecution, and have no doubt that those genuine cases would do literally any job to say "thankyou" to the UK for keeping them safe.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
If they are housed at Public expense, they should be put to work to earn their keep. Plenty of fields in Lincolnshire where food needs picking. Plenty of litter needs picking up. Stick these young men in a Govt-co-ordinated minibus at 8am and send them to pick fruit and veg. Cut out the gangmasters that have exploited migrant labour for decades. pay them NMW, then deduct the cost of room & food, leaving them with money in their pocket and self-dignity that they are contributing to the country they have so desperately wanted to be in. Once their case is approved, they are let free to pursue whatever career they want, but with no state support.

I'm all for providing a safe haven for genuine refugees fleeing persecution, and have no doubt that those genuine cases would do literally any job to say "thankyou" to the UK for keeping them safe.
Fair ideas, the only thing I would add would be an education programme covering everything from the language to how society works in this country...