• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RAF Rejoiner Vacancies

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Money is not my God.

I work part time in a job I thoroughly enjoy only 10 minutes down the road.

My house is paid in full and in 5 months time I will be picking up another £250 pocket money each month to pay for my fishing and boozing during my four day weekends.

Some people live to work, others work to live, myself, I work for the enjoyment.

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
I left as a disillusioned Rigga Sgt some 19 years ago at the end of a 24 year stint. In a variety of roles as a Licenced Aircraft Engineer, I've worked on and with many more aircraft types "outside" than in, and I've also learned much more about aircraft management and aircraft maintenance management since then. In my travels I have also worked for a significant UK military contractor as an influential manager for four years. I'm now in quite a senior position for a UK AMO/MRO. For age and medical reasons I'm quite sure I would not be allowed back, in any case. However, the following are reasons I would not go back (in any case):

1. Money: Though not always a driver for me (I have taken several jobs with a drop in pay) a drop of 35-55% would not be conducive to a happy wife.

2. Technology: Although Im okay with current and new civil types (and I'm not talking of pilots button pushing or box changing) some full FBW types are inherently dodgy (IMHO) to say the least. Allowing me to mess with them is not a safe situation, for me.

3. Leadership: As members of this forum have all discussed, there appears to be little or no leadership at the top worth more than a derogatory mention. This paucity has bled to the lower (operating) Station levels too (in my humble opinion) and has led to poor strategic and tactical policy making and increased budget awareness without any effective control.

4. Authority 1: At the moment I decide what happens in my world, and mainly with lots of success - why would I give that up? I have torn into the CAA about their performance before and with quite some success. (Edited bit) I have also torn into a significant fighter EA about their lack of action and poor performance and earned a £6m contract due to their incompetence. I have no fear of "authority" now.

5. Authority 2: Bullsh!t. I never did like it and won't put up with that sort of "Guff" again. I have no fear of "authority" now x2.

6. Rank: Since leaving the RAF I have learned to talk to the person and not to whatever may be on his shoulder. I have no fear of ranks now - when I worked for that Military Contractor I called officers by their name not by their rank (the most reluctant responders were W/C's) and I talked with all staff (LAC Stakka, upwards) by their capability to do a job, not by their rank.

7. Safety: Civil standards for airworthiness and flight safety are 'differently interpreted' for military 'standards' and I won't drop my hard gained standards to the level of RAF/MOD MRA aspirations. I would be classed as an 'admin problem' quite soon!

I say all this because FOMZ has declined to list his issues...

Last edited:

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Are you willing to take just shy of an £18K pay cut to pull on a blue suit again....?

Don’t forget you’d be handing back your pension so you can make that £18 up to 30k quite easily.

Money might not be a driver and it’s certainly an easier life in the Mob than outside for the wage, I don’t think I could do it for the loss of responsibility, control and second career progression, taking a £40k (including pension hand back) pay cut would just top that off.

Anyway, I get a small war pension so they wouldn’t have me back, the decision has been made for me.

I can see this as a good thing for people in a little bit of a temporary difficulty, but would hate to think that it’s a long term solution for the RAF or the individual.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Lots of aircrew ops in there...and the recruiting system isn't solving their woes from what I am hearing. By sticking the P8 at Lossie you really are focusing on people local to that camp as rejoiners...who would want to uproot themselves and potentially a family for a 3-5 year contract?

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
I'm struggling to think of a reason why anyone who has left of their own accord would even click the link, let alone be looking on a RAF recruitment for leavers website!

Frankly, and apologies if this offends anyone, if you were not deemed good enough to reach Sgt after 22 years, and you weren't deemed good enough to reach Chf Tech or FS after 30 years, then you deserved to leave at the end of your contract. The fact that this recruitment drive will only attract those who left under these circumstances will result in a decline of standards, ethos and quality, which will again force the good guys out and leave the RAF packed full of bang-average men and women.

Not sure I agree with that mate, not entirely anyway.

This is where I find myself at the moment (not offended at all btw MWD). I've always had good write-ups, but promotions are slim picking these days (about 10 a year, if that, so understandably only those with the right SJAR from the right posting are getting promoted).

So, in my mind, the RAF has deemed me not good enough to promote - which to me says that I do not have a career in the RAF past my 22 year point - and so I'm planning things and getting everything lined up for my expected exit in just over 4 years.

But when I finally get promoted to 'Mr', why would I even consider rejoining? Why would anyone? I wouldn't consider an extension of Service without a promotion, so why would I want to come back in after all the faff of leaving?

Besides, the sort of people you're talking about would be those who would have asked for (and been denied) extensions of Service. Surely people like that would have been retained prior to leaving if they had anything about them? What the RAF's actually fishing for is those who were good at their jobs, but refused promotions and / or extension of Service because they were sick of all the crap. They won't be able to get those people back in.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
You're being very sensible by preparing yourself for your exit. Some though would still be in a FQ with little or no savings or a Plan B right up to the last roll of the dice on the promotion board, and even then they'd be holding out for an extension.

The ones who leave early generally leave because they have something they perceive to be better to go to. Ive seen a couple of people brag about how much extra £ they earn, which is fine if that's what motivates you. In my case, I get paid less, but my job satisfaction is far higher than it was whilst in.

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
Job satisfaction....

...I think the only role I've filled in the RAF that's given me job satisfaction was instructing - it's why I'm looking at teaching as a career outside the RAF (though I've heard it's not an enjoyable job).

That said, I'm not 100% sure what I want to do as a 'second career' yet. But I do know I want nothing to do with what I'm doing in the RAF!!

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Job satisfaction....

...I think the only role I've filled in the RAF that's given me job satisfaction was instructing - it's why I'm looking at teaching as a career outside the RAF (though I've heard it's not an enjoyable job).

That said, I'm not 100% sure what I want to do as a 'second career' yet. But I do know I want nothing to do with what I'm doing in the RAF!!

Depends on what your trade background is... Don't just think teaching is about dis-interested 15 year olds in secondary schools. I know quite a few people who have gone on to work teaching/instructing apprentices in local colleges, big engineering companies, work in internal training departments in IT companies etc.

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
Depends on what your trade background is... Don't just think teaching is about dis-interested 15 year olds in secondary schools. I know quite a few people who have gone on to work teaching/instructing apprentices in local colleges, big engineering companies, work in internal training departments in IT companies etc.

Yeah I know...I had considered the local college thing (because I'm not sure I could be bothered going down the PGCE / QTS route). But then I'd also considered a carefree job collecting trolleys in a Tesco car park...

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Yeah I know...I had considered the local college thing (because I'm not sure I could be bothered going down the PGCE / QTS route). But then I'd also considered a carefree job collecting trolleys in a Tesco car park...

I know an ex Wobbling Orange working in the local B&Q on the shop floor (he likes the tool aisles best apparently)... and he's happy as pig in sh1t.

Norman the Storeman

QA Acolyte
Nearly two years on and Rejoiner recruitment is still getting bums back on seats.

Current vacancies here.

If you are interested, then please get in touch or comment on this tread. (y):)

Late & Tired

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I know an ex Wobbling Orange working in the local B&Q on the shop floor (he likes the tool aisles best apparently)... and he's happy as pig in sh1t.
Not surprised by that at all. There are 2 ex Service NCO in my local B&Q. They love the work, timings, no targets, KPI, please and thank you. That have some good banter and inform me of discount on the tools that they want. In all honesty, I wouldn't mind a part-time job there in the man cave.

SAXAVORDIAN

Sergeant
No thanks happy doing my 9 1/2 and leaving then and still have happy memories of my time. May had an itch for the civilian side of the RAF once but cannot complain.