• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RAF Rejoiner Vacancies

ninjarabbi

Warrant Officer
Seems to cover every trade we have! I thought all those recruiting adds had done their job and brought thousands of eager young people flocking in?

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
Seems to cover every trade we have! I thought all those recruiting adds had done their job and brought thousands of eager young people flocking in?

From what I've heard there's enough people trying to get in, but the outflow is bigger (PVR, end of contract etc).

Doesn't help that that the process of getting in takes many, many months (you'll probably need a job to fund you while you apply for the job!) and is hindered by the admin process and the training pipeline. The process of getting out is far simpler - don't sign on, or 7 clicks to freedom and put your feet up.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
For the life of me I cannot understand the reasoning of ‘recruiting’ ex service people.

If there are 12 leaving and only 10 training slots to cover those 12 then use methods to retain 3 of those that are leaving with the best carrot being a nice large lump sum paid at the completion of extended service of say two years.

Make the lump sum a decent amount, maybe something like the cost of recruitment + training + wages of a recruit until completion of Phase 2 training + one year of productive wages.

Better the devil you know than …

Late & Tired

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Sob, same here for wobbly techies...
Ah well, back to the pub for the World Cup, and desperately trying to fritter the Pension away

briggfairy

Sergeant
just who are they trying to target with these vacancies? the vast majority of 'good guys' that have left (that I know) have no course to look back which only leaves the wrong un's who had limited potential whilst serving and have done the square of nothing since leaving.

not exactly the kind of people the raf should be targeting.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Also they are limited to one tour, why rejoin for just 5 years?

4everAD

Sergeant
I'm hearing rumours of certain people ET'ing because they can't get a posting they want or want away from their current posting or can't get promoted. Their intention is to then join back up under the rejoiner scheme with a plum posting and or promotion. Bit of a gamble if you ask me but if you're in your last 5 years and already have a pension bagged it might be the way forward.

norfolkred1

Sergeant
After a successful slimming down of the RAF the begging bowl is now out. Someone's head should role. I saw very good personnel being removed from the RAF because they were in the wrong place at the time of redundancies and then see no marks being kept in.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
I'm struggling to think of a reason why anyone who has left of their own accord would even click the link, let alone be looking on a RAF recruitment for leavers website!

Frankly, and apologies if this offends anyone, if you were not deemed good enough to reach Sgt after 22 years, and you weren't deemed good enough to reach Chf Tech or FS after 30 years, then you deserved to leave at the end of your contract. The fact that this recruitment drive will only attract those who left under these circumstances will result in a decline of standards, ethos and quality, which will again force the good guys out and leave the RAF packed full of bang-average men and women.

Last edited:

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Not for me but it will be for some, as long as it’s short term it shouldn’t have too much of a long term impact on regulars

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
"it shouldn’t have too much of a long term impact on regulars"

Unless off course that 5 year returner is filling that perfect slot for your particular rank and trade in the prime location you have been trying for years and years to get your paws on. A returning one tour wonder might not be greeted with hugs and smiles at such a venue.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
To be fair they are generally posts that have historically been difficult to fill rather than plum postings.

Cosford, late 90s - Mechs & Fitters courses lined up for morning parade (remember). The place was rammed & those (now sncos) are about to hit their 22. It's a numbers game & I don't know anyone planning to stay.......

FOMz

Warrant Officer
My current job takes me back to a secret AT base in Oxfordshire every 8 weeks or so... that I reminds me why I left in the first place. That and they couldn't afford me now anyhow.

Are El

LAC
Wow! what can I say, in some ways I'm a bit shocked, and in other ways there'll be quite a lot of us old f@rts who will say "I told you so" it's not really like any of us didn't see it coming! Previous posters have mentioned not being deemed good enough to get promoted, good people being kicked out and not quite such good people being kept in.

By the way, where do I sign?!!!